Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #5661
Administrator

Plumber done, painter done, electrician done, roofer done, handyman done... making progress! Tomorrow I'll schedule the whole house recarpeting.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #5662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
How did he know what kind of underwear you were wearing?!?

Oh, wait, maybe I misread that...
Hmmm...well, y'all don't know for sure if I'm of the female persuasion or not...but he could tell....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I guess it would depend--did he have a nice package?

I didn't get that close of a look... I think I murmured something about it's good to mix things up a bit from time to time...I did everything I could not to use the word 'depends'.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #5663
Moderator Emeritus

Found an excuse to go to Maui again for a couple days in Oct-- Napili Bay above Kapalua on the northwest coast. I think the accommodations will be a bit of an upgrade from our Haleakala trip. We'll do plane/car reservations tomorrow.

I wonder if anything bad can happen at a surf break named "Slaughterhouse"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm...well, y'all don't know for sure if I'm of the female persuasion or not...but he could tell....
Yeah, I've noticed your persistent misdirection in that regard...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #5664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah, I've noticed your persistent misdirection in that regard...

....uh oh...I just smeared my lipstick...
Old 10-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #5665
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm...well, y'all don't know for sure if I'm of the female persuasion or not.
Wait a sec, you told me it was you in those last photos and I have to say...........
Old 10-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #5666
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Took the ferry boat from Bellagio to Menaggio on Lake Como, then walked along the lake to the bus station. The bus took us to Lugarno in Switzerland. We walked to a snack shop and they called a taxi. The taxi took us to the train station where we went first class to Lucerne. We snagged a taxi and got to our hotel. The weather is sunny and cool (22 degrees C). The total transit time was 5.5 hours.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #5667
Give me a forum ...

Today I booked our Alaskan trip and also picked out the carpet for our current project . I love remodeling projects when they are done but I hate the mess and disarray that goes with them . Hopefully in a week we will be back to normal until the next project.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #5668
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Wait a sec, you told me it was you in those last photos and I have to say...........
Say 'whut'?.....

Ahhh...updated my portfolio spreadsheet and was tickled to see a larger gain than I anticipated; especially since the stock portion of my portfolio is rather low. My portfolio is at an all time high.

It still amazes me that not only am I just sittin' on my tookus, but I'm taking money from my savings and not adding to it...yet it continues to grow. Hopefully it will always be like that....well, I can dream, can't I?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #5669
Give me a forum ...

What a beautiful day today. But, my sinuses gave me fits on the golf course. Took a claritin this morning, but that's like taking a sugar pill. Does nothing. Got home, took one of my prescription pills(semprex-d) and it didn't help much. I hope better fall days are ahead for me. It's not easy to putt between sniffles.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #5670
Full time employment: Posting here.

Being semi retired, I work 4 morning a week and I am off on Friday. This is the day of the week I take care of my personal business. Today I went to my dietician in the morning. After lunch I followed up on some old health insurance claims that I was never received payment for. They wanted further documentation so I went to the pharmacy and got printouts of the original Rx.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #5671
Give me a forum ...

I spent the day in Vancouver, where I had a business meeting this morning. It was a glorious fall day with temperatures in the 20s C (70s F) and nary a cloud in the sky. After my meeting I wandered around Yaletown and discovered some new favourite vistas.

Spent last night at a downtown Sheraton (free on points) and got upgraded to a suite on the 35th floor. Total Cost" $0. Travel to and from YVR is now so easy with the Canada line opened prior to the Olympics. I couldn't help thinking how different it must be for the athletes at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, where they have hired an monkey to chase away the small macaque monkeys who might otherwise bite the visitors!!

After a very smooth flight home I am ready for bed.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #5672
Give me a forum ...

Today I am going to an Oktoberfest party at my little boating club. There will be bratwurst, knockwurst, potato salad, a local group called Fritz' Polka Band.
http://www.fritzspolkaband.com/members

You polka fans can listen to some snippets of their music here
http://www.fritzspolkaband.com/music_downloads
Tracks 7, 8 and 12 are traditional pieces.

and.....um...there will be something else there today. What am I forgetting ?

Can anyone help me remember ?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #5673
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Freebird---being from western PA with a large eastern European descent population, I have been to many weddings and events involving polka bands and they are a lot of fun. We even learned to polka (and waltz) in gym class in junior high school.
I am not doing not much of anything today except putter around the house and get ready for my Cape Cod cousin's visit next week-end. Later today my new TV will be delivered and set up for me. Haven't had a TV in over a week and I do kinda miss it.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #5674
Administrator

Full steam ahead on the carpet, but it still isn't happening fast enough to suit me. Maybe a week from Monday if I'm lucky (because I am paying extra for the expedited 72-hour service ). Guess I need to learn some patience. The first cut at an estimated price was about 20% lower than I expected, so naturally I like that.

Today we had a nice lunch at a local restaurant. Later we will be looking for shower doors and miniblinds (for him), and for me, faceplates for wall switches and electrical outlets, and a brand new doorbell button.

My painter is thrilled with the eighty pound 42" plasma TV that I gave him in payment for some of the painting work. I now have a nice ten pound 19" LCD TV, which will be so much easier to deal with until we are permanently situated again. The picture is good enough to be able to follow and understand the shows that I normally watch.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #5675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Freebird---being from western PA with a large eastern European descent population, I have been to many weddings and events involving polka bands and they are a lot of fun. We even learned to polka (and waltz) in gym class in junior high school.

Polka! Ah, yes... a great country tradition:

Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #5676
Moderator Emeritus

Lovely dawn patrol-- 4-6 feet on my 9'0". All that practice with my daughter's 7'9" is paying off. After a couple hours I had a 10-second floater and a great elevator ride down a six-footer so I decided to paddle in before my luck fell apart.

We're spending more money on the college expenses that we didn't really expect. Our kid paid for her own bike, lights, & helmet (good) but had no idea what advanced bicycle tools would be required (like a bracket extractor or a chain wrench). Performance Bike's website came through on that one. Her dorm also lacks communal tools for hanging mirrors and repairing furniture (don't ask) so we'll be putting together a basic tool kit.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #5677
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We're spending more money on the college expenses that we didn't really expect. Our kid paid for her own bike, lights, & helmet (good) but had no idea what advanced bicycle tools would be required (like a bracket extractor or a chain wrench). Performance Bike's website came through on that one. Her dorm also lacks communal tools for hanging mirrors and repairing furniture (don't ask) so we'll be putting together a basic tool kit.
Our DD didn't need to bother with the toolkit. She just bats her eyes at one of the boys and *poof* mechanical problem is solved. She has had her bike fixed a few times, and one of the boys even tracked it down for her when it was stolen, stole it back, and brought it to her...no, ahem, favors required.

R
Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #5678
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Our DD didn't need to bother with the toolkit. She just bats her eyes at one of the boys and *poof* mechanical problem is solved. She has had her bike fixed a few times, and one of the boys even tracked it down for her when it was stolen, stole it back, and brought it to her...no, ahem, favors required.
I've been watching this development with interest, of course, but no one's been cut out of the herd of candidates yet. I'll know it's serious when she starts sparring them in taekwondo or takes them surfing.

She's more likely to use the tools to pick up spare cash doing bike overhauls... and by the time she left our nest we'd put her in charge of toilet overhauls too.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #5679

Went to the annual reunion dinner with the alumni association's retired group, really a survivor's club. I still get startled - I used to work with these people - how did they get so old? It's interesting to hear what people are getting into after decades in law enforcement. Some go into related fields, some go off on entirely different directions.

In the raffle we won a free one night stay in the Marriott Crystal Gateway in Arlington, VA. So some day soon we'll make the trek out of the hills of West Virginia down to the Big City and see what all those folks down there are like.

Hope the culture shock won't be too much.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #5680
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
In the raffle we won a free one night stay in the Marriott Crystal Gateway in Arlington, VA. So some day soon we'll make the trek out of the hills of West Virginia down to the Big City and see what all those folks down there are like.

Hope the culture shock won't be too much.
There are probably restrictions, but if not see of you can get a room facing DC for the 4th of July. Many (many many) years ago I dated a girl who worked there and we watched the fireworks from the roof. Great view of the city from there. Of course, I don't know if they've put up other high buildings to block it. I lived in Arlington until 3 years ago, but probably haven't been in that part for 20 years. Too many people, too many cars.

Closed Thread