Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #5681
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH and I just gave our 5 lb kitty a bath. Yes...it took two of us and it might have been handy to have a third person involved. Thankfully no broken bones because of said bath...DH and I were lucky.

Kitty is a bit ruffled and hasn't 'spoken' to me yet...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #5682
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH and I just gave our 5 lb kitty a bath. Yes...it took two of us and it might have been handy to have a third person involved. Thankfully no broken bones because of said bath...DH and I were lucky.

No blood spilled?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #5683
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
No blood spilled?
No...we managed to soak it up before it hit the floor....
Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #5684
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I drove into Pittsburgh to have lunch at a hot pot restaurant....it was raining and cool so the soup really hit the spot. It was a treat as good Asian is not available where I live out in the sticks.
I also did a little shopping at the Whole Foods in the Shadyside section of town. I needed to stock my larder a bit since I have a cousin flying in for a visit next week-end.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #5685
Moderator Emeritus

Replaced the 12v auxiliary battery (what most other car owners refer to as "the" battery) in our Prius. The old one was four years old and had entered the zone of borrowed time, although it was probably good for another year or so. The new battery is an Optima D51 and will probably last for the life of the car.

My possessions generally lag the latest tech by a generation or two, so this is my first car with separate jumper-cable terminals. I was able to jumper our other car's 12v battery to the Prius terminals (under the hood) before I swapped out the Prius battery (back in the trunk), so all the computer settings were preserved and I didn't even have to reprogram the radio. What a sweet deal.

Quote:
DH and I just gave our 5 lb kitty a bath.
Your kitty is probably saying "OFGS, why?!?" along with most of the words on George Carlin's list.

Our bunny gives himself a full bath every day, and when we see him cleaning between his claws we're happy that he's taking care of it on his own...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #5686
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Did a kitty bath today too! DH and I are fostering an adult cat with ringworm. Poor little thing - this declawed, small gentle soul was fending for herself for weeks outside and ended up being brought to the shelter. She was very underweight and picked up ringworm from her sad adventures in the big bad outside world. Since she was picked up near an apartment complex, and had been seen in that area for weeks, we suspect someone moved out and put her outside for fend for herself. I can only refer to such people in terms which would result in instant moderation, but I'm sure you can catch my drift here.

We gave her a sulphur dip which helps beat down the ringworm but is smelly and very unpleasant for people and pets. She took it like a trooper. She got an extra helping of Fancy Feast to make up for the ordeal. What a good girl she is.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #5687
Give me a forum ...

I woke up today with a powerful thirst and sore legs (watch it now...).

A younger gentleman at the boat club knew how to polka and was more than happy to refresh my "memory". I learned the polka years ago, so I knew the steps and the timing. He was very impressed at how well I followed him.
My fave Bostonian does not polka, but he enjoyed watching me get up there and do my stuff.

The band also played some rock and roll with accordion included. I danced almost every number. It may have had something to do with the the German beer. Burp!

The smoked and cheese bratwurst were excellent. A store in Syracuse was the source of the real deal, not the phony baloney sold in chain grocery stores.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #5688
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I woke up today with a powerful thirst and sore legs (watch it now...). A younger gentleman at the boat club knew how to polka and was more than happy to refresh my "memory". I learned the polka years ago, so I knew the steps and the timing. He was very impressed at how well I followed him.
My fave Bostonian does not polka, but he enjoyed watching me get up there and do my stuff.
The band also played some rock and roll with accordion included. I danced almost every number. It may have had something to do with the the German beer. Burp!
The smoked and cheese bratwurst were excellent. A store in Syracuse was the source of the real deal, not the phony baloney sold in chain grocery stores.
I would pay much money for real rye or pumpernickel and headcheese.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #5689
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I woke up today with a powerful thirst and sore legs (watch it now...).
Believe me, I can sympathize! My legs are sore too, but not due to having any (public or private) fun. In my case, I was piling furniture and boxes of books five feet high in the kitchen and bathroom, the only two rooms in my house that are not carpeted. This is in preparation for the recarpeting. I really do have faith that Home Depot will make good on their promises and will actually send out their carpetlayers and carpet someday. Honest. But just in case, I left enough room for those two rooms to be usable indefinitely.

"Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Carpet's New...
And The Dreams That You Dare To Dream Really Do Come True."

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #5690
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Spent a second day roaming the sreets of Strasbourg. The old town is pretty much as I remembered it from 45 years ago. Of course most of the buildings date back to the 13th century.

Bought a nice Cotes du Rhone for our hotel room for 5.95 euros. The euro has been on a tear since we got to Europe on Sept 10th. So things are getting more and more expensive. We got 75 euros off our hotel room here using hotwire.com but are still paying USD199/night!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #5691
Give me a forum ...

Had a major fixit victory: A small part in one of our casement windows broke, such that the window couldn't be closed. I realized that this little slider thing could be used in a left-hand or right-hand window, and only the right-hand side was broken.

So, I switched it with the same part from a window that opens the other way, and now both windows work. But it was touch and go for over an hour since removing/replacing the parts was tricky.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #5692
Moderator Emeritus

Worked on winterizing the motorhome. Step one, drain the hot water heater. Easy. Step two, turn the waterheater disconnect valve so that I don't have to pump antifreeze into the water heater. Not so easy. First, I have to remove the drawer under the refrigerator. Fussy. Next, I have to reach my arm down to where I can't see and feel for the valve handle. I found it and turned. Oops, the handle popped off! I spent a good part of the afternoon trying to find the handle in space I could not see and in places I could not feel. Several MF and C words were uttered. Tried all sorts of contraptions to drag the area in places I could not reach. I gave up for a while and tried a small wrench in lieu of the valve handle. The valve turned part way and then I dropped the wrench. Now I couldn't find either the wrench or the handle. It would be a 60 mile drive to buy a new handle and I was not sure of the size. So, I took photos by sticking my arm down into the cabinet. I tried measuring things but that was about impossible because only one arm could fit into the space. I thought up all sorts of tricks to try to measure and none were totally effective. Then, I noticed that there was a furnace outlet of about 4 inches in diameter on the side of the same space. I disconnected the outlet and hose so I could reach down into that area, which otherwise was not accessible. Success! Both the wrench and the valve handle were there. I reconnected the handle, turned it. Tested that the waterheater was disconnected. It was. Now several hours after I started the job I am on break.

Could be worse.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #5693
Gone but not forgotten

Could be raining.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #5694
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Could be worse.
...and probably will be.

Congrats on figuring out how to get the job done. You're turning into quite the DIY RV handywoman.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #5695
Give me a forum ...

Went to afternoon tango dance. Came home, ate lunch and walked over to Trader Joe for a few supplies. I am less and less interested in staying up really late to dance, so I am glad that there are daytime and early evening opportunities.

Ha
Old 10-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #5696
Give me a forum ...

Tried to do the two finger whistle per Bestwifeever's instructions, but was unable to whistle.

Was an undercover spy today...

Intended to clean out my filing cabinet...but after two glasses of wine, I think I'll put that off until tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #5697
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Could be worse.
Yeah, and now it is over with, it will be all "good times" from here on out.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #5698
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Was an undercover spy today...
And what did you spy under the covers?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #5699
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What I was looking for....
Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #5700
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hope it wasn't bedbugs.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA