Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #5721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The life of a bandleader...
You should think about Retiring... early

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #5722
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
There goes bbbamI setting the bait.... Sorry I won´t bite. Just released from hospital after yesterday´s surgery. And I´ve been cautioned to lead a quiet and peaceful life for the next 6 weeks. To play along would mean a sure return to hospital. But if the bait is still there after 6 weeks.....
Ahhh...I assume this means you are doing well...that's wonderful news.

Now you rest up good....you're gonna need your strength to show me a thing or two....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Is this an example of the oft-mentioned "useless" Post?
Hey...I've never claimed that any of my posts are 'useful'.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #5723
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You should think about Retiring... early
He'd be outta there in a heartbeat if the money wasn't so good... "just one more year!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #5724
Give me a forum ...

True, that negative $100/year is hard to give up.

Another Satisfying DIY Experience

The 19-year-old microwave finally died (Yay!), and I quickly got a "new" one from Craigslist for only $10. But I really liked the under the counter mount that the old one had.

I considered building a shelf, but instead took the cover off the new one, drilled some holes, and mounted it under the counter. It's not designed to hang from it's cover, but it's definitely strong enough.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #5725
gone traveling

Went to the local VA clinic to get my flu shot ...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #5726
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got up early after Tuesday golf and I was tired. Wed is normally my day to sleep in but DW had a sewing gig so I had to get up. Had the day to myself. It's really dry right now in FL so I watered all the plants around the house and then got cleaned up. Went out for breakfast and did my crossword puzzle. Called daughter, who lives 10 miles away, and went over to see her. She has MS, has good days and bad. Had to drop off some fishing supplies for SIL and pick up ceramic pots in which he was putting drain holes. Hard to do but he has the equipment. He sandblasted the drain holes in three pots so tomorrow I have my work cut out. We just had a pondless waterfall installed in our back yard and there are a lot of plants to repot. We love the sound of running water so the waterfall was a necessity.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #5727
Moderator Emeritus

Had a little sunset excitement in the gulch about 500 yards downstream of our house. We've had four or five small fires in the neighborhood in the last week, mostly next to H-2 where someone could hit & run. This time they went into the brush at the edge of the community park. Despite the last few days' rain, the vegetation apparently wasn't too wet to catch fire. It could've been kids sneaking a smoke, but I'm voting for a new venue of the arsonist.

The tradewinds were blowing in the correct direction and it didn't head our way. A helicopter and six fire trucks leaped on it within five minutes and the flames were gone within 15 minutes. They're still overhauling the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MYDC0013.JPG (352.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #5728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I received a priceless gift today...a once in a lifetime gift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nice.

You know that won't cut it - now fess up! What was it?
Hey no fair.

Cough it up, lady.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #5729
Give me a forum ...

It has been doing nothing but raining here.

I've been spending a lot of time out of the house, kinda like a last hurrah before I go into winter hibernation. The fall colors WERE beautiful until this icky weather moved in. The good news is tomorrow will be sunny. I have to pull my boat out of the lake. One more spin..the lake will be empty of boats and hopefully the water will be like glass. I feel a "need for speed" comin' on.

Things to do...move winter supply of wood into garage, sell snowmobile, put foam stripping around windows (very minor gaps), get winter cash stash (for any power out situations, i.e. cash is king), mulch fallen leaves with lawn tractor, plant 3 hardy mums in front raised bed, and decorate pumpkins , maybe even carve a jack-o-lantern face into one of them.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #5730
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started jogging again though mixed with some brisk walking. Then met some ex colleagues for lunch and listen to them complain about work. However, they seem very happy when they talk about their vacations. Then wander round shops I've never got a chance to go while working - did not buy a single thing though saw a lot of interesting things. Cooked a new dish for dinner - yummy yummy. It's a chinese dish involving one whole chicken with lots of chinese herbs and stewed for 4 hours or so.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #5731

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I've been spending a lot of time out of the house, kinda like a last hurrah before I go into winter hibernation.
I would have liked getting out of the house more over the last week but with the painting going on it didn't work out that way. So, yesterday, with the painting now done, I ventured out some. Went to Sam's and loaded up on toilet paper, paper towels and washing supplies, etc. I like to load up with lots before winter...I'm a squirrel. I will also hit Walgreens and a grocery store before snow and ice comes.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #5732

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hey no fair.

Cough it up, lady.
Freebird: You are making it worse. As the Fab Four said..."She is a big teaser..."(Day Tripper)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #5733
Moderator Emeritus

We started the Hawaii version of "winterizing": made sure that the windows we've left open for the last six months can still be shut. Winter is definitely coming-- we've actually been shutting a couple bedroom windows at night and some days we don't even turn on the ceiling fans.

Had an interesting lifestyle conversation with my spouse yesterday. She has this friend whose spouse is retiring from the military to a career that will net him at least $100K-$150K/year. He's getting a $44K/year military pension and her $30K/year job will give them a comfortable lifestyle even if he decides he doesn't wanna work.

Instead she's proposing that they literally mortgage his future earnings to buy a $750K empty-nester home that she refers to as "Raleighwood" in a neighborhood that will almost certainly lead to additional "lifestyle creep". I'm predicting a country-club membership, a boat, and perhaps even a personal aircraft for starters. He'd better be doing what he loves so that he can start chasing after his money...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #5734

I took a vacation day from the office to clean house as my cousin is visiting from Cape Cod from Saturday to Tuesday. I didn't want her to think I am some kind of a slob. I started early and the place looks pretty nice, but I am pooped and feel like a drudge. Maybe I will watch some trash TV and have a gin and tonic.
Not that I intend to sit around the house with my cousin...we plan to visit some relatives Saturday, do a house tour in Pittsburgh on Sunday and visit Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright designed home in Ohiopyle) on Monday.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #5735
Give me a forum ...

Today I realized I've fine tuned the art of procrastination...
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #5736

We don't winterize here in Waimanalo -- all windows stay open all the time. But recalling some chilly nights in past Januaries, I bought a Dimplex space heater with fake logs and flames. My wife just sneered when I ordered it, but now it's here, she seems to like it okay. I think it's very convincing. The fake flames can run independently of the heater part, so even though it's 77d.F. out now, I can still have a cozy "fire".
Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #5737
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
... and visit Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright designed home in Ohiopyle) on Monday.
I haven't seen it since high school. Hasn't there been a renovation going on there to take care of the spalling concrete? Did they at least fix the leaky windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
But recalling some chilly nights in past Januaries, I bought a Dimplex space heater with fake logs and flames. My wife just sneered when I ordered it, but now it's here, she seems to like it okay. I think it's very convincing. The fake flames can run independently of the heater part, so even though it's 77d.F. out now, I can still have a cozy "fire".
Years ago we jokingly bought my parents-in-law a fireplace screensaver DVD for their TV. They actually kept it on most of the time because it made them feel warmer...

Old 10-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #5738
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just realized I have a lot of diaries and letters I need to dispose of . I would really not like them read later . Although it would give my daughter a few chuckles to know that her Mom "s life was not as sedate as she thought .
Send 'em out to me. I promise not to tell your daughter anything totally scandalous. Though I can't imagine what that might be in this day.

Quote:
Is this an example of the oft-mentioned "useless" Post?
Not at all, this is an example of a very useful post. It gives us hard up, aging former Casanovas good fantasy material. What more could you wish for? Just save it to a Word file labeled "For Those Lonely, Lonely Nights". What, you have no such file? Egad man, you are wasting a forum resource!

And in other news... I went to my dentist this morning to have a wisdom tooth extracted. He said, "you know, there really is no problem with that tooth, it is structurally strong and well mineralized, let's leave it in place." I had suggested he take it out because it is a hassle to keep clean. His answer to that was that it has been 25 years since I had a cavity in that tooth or the adjoining molar, so I seem to be doing pretty well.

A relief to me, and one reason I still drive a good piece up I-5 to see him. He is totally honest, he has never tried to upsell anything. I told him this, in front of his assistant, and he was very pleased. He said, "I try to always put my patients first, but not many of them notice that or mention it."

I am always a grateful observer of integrity, as I realize that this is one of the many things that can't be bought with money. Others are love, hope, affection and eager sex. I hope I never fail to realize what a gift these are.

Ha
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #5739

[QUOTE=Nords;985427]I haven't seen it since high school. Hasn't there been a renovation going on there to take care of the spalling concrete? Did they at least fix the leaky windows?

Nords, the Western PA Conservancy has finished shoring up the cantilevered part of Fallingwater so that it did not crumble from the damp and water into Bear Run. I believe they are busy replacing the window glass but not the sacred windows frames as they are the work and design of FLW and quite unique for the time.

I like the location of nearby Kentuck Knob better (another FLW design for the Hagan ice cream family). I think it is a more liveable home being situated in a high meadow. FLW certainly did have very strong opinions on his creations and he was lucky IMHO that his clients acquiesced to his philosophy.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #5740

Scanned a boatload of photographs from decades ago for an upcoming family gathering, went for a bike ride, bought fertilizer and grass seed.

Here's one of me from about 1962 or thereabouts:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walt riding the Sinclair dino.jpg (237.7 KB, 3 views)