Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #5741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Send 'em out to me. I promise not to tell your daughter anything totally scandalous. Though I can't imagine what that might be in this day.

Ha
I was divorced at 32 . I spent most of my thirties single so there is some good reading in those diaries .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #5742
Give me a forum ...

We got back home a couple of days ago. Will have a more detailed report later on our first "real" RV trip, along with some photos. Would have kept goin', except that there is a family gathering that we do not want to miss.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #5743
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Still getting turned around after our 24 hour day flying from Frankfurt to Vancouver, with a refueling stop in Reykyavik and a crew change in Calgary. It was sunny when we arrived (and left) but has started raining now (day 2).
Old 10-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #5744
Give me a forum ...

Boat pulling deal fell through...but I still have time.

I'm enjoying the P&Q here in my living room, listening to the wonderful sounds of my solar powered outdoor fountain turned into an indoor humidifier/duck pond. I put a flat oven pan underneath the metal framework for catching splashes. There are small stones in each of the smaller clay bowls to enhance the cascading water sounds.

And, yes, there are 2 mini yellow plastic rubber duckies "swimming" around in the large base bowl. I looked for tiny sailboats or swans at the dollar store but no luck. So the duckies won.

My second childhood is surely a lot of FUN. Your grandkids might enjoy something like this.

I may use a flashlight to keep the pump running on cloudy days. I'll be engineering that setup at another time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Humidifier.jpg (27.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 10-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #5745
Moderator Emeritus

Last week, today, and probably for the next few weeks I've learned far more about websites, blogging, Facebook, and Twitter than I really cared to know. I've always preferred writing to programming, and this effort has been a potent reminder why.

The beta sites of the blog and the Facebook page for "The Military Guide" are up. Twitter still needs some work with the military hash tags. Check my profile for the URL or help boost the SEO by searching Facebook or Googling for the phrase "The military guide to financial". I've also heard (but haven't yet verified) that Facebook "likes" will improve the SEO, so feel free to run wild with the friending and the liking. Or let me know what I can do better on those sites.

I'm trying to make a habit of updating every Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday. Visit the pages on those days (afternoons/evenings for most of you) or sign up for a feed.

Now that the social group has finished reviewing the 64-page pocket-guide version, I'll put more of this on the public forums. The next two threads I'll start here will be to nominate the book cover (a couple suggestions are already in hand) and to choose the military charities (a couple have already been offered).

Whaddya do all day indeed.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #5746
gone traveling

I thought about sex (yeah, it's a guy thing)...
Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #5747
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Women shouldn't think about that type of thing?...uh oh....
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #5748
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ran 10 miles, low and slow. I'm thinking of doing the Hibiscus Half-marathon in Honolulu next June, trying to work up to 13 miles. Today's run was a really good one, until it started raining at about mile 7. I got a little grumpy about it, until I figured out that the rain was keeping me cool. At the end, I was feeling really good, like I might actually be able to do all 13 miles of a halfer. Sanity over-ruled any thoughts of continuing...don't need to over-do it and injure myself.

R
Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #5749
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I have a long list of things I do every hour day that I don't update this board on...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #5750
Moderator Emeritus

Riding the rails! I'm on an Amtrak train, which seems to be oversold. I'll be spending the day perched on the world's most uncomfortable stool as I enjoy high speed rail travel, sometimes at velocities exceeding 30 MPH.

Ah, the marvels of 19th century technology...
Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #5751

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Riding the rails! I'm on an Amtrak train, which seems to be oversold. I'll be spending the day perched on the world's most uncomfortable stool as I enjoy high speed rail travel, sometimes at velocities exceeding 30 MPH.

Ah, the marvels of 19th century technology...
What train are you on? I'll be sure never to take that one.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #5752
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gave blood.
Ran dishwasher.
Almost caught up on snail mail.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #5753

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
What train are you on? I'll be sure never to take that one.
Probably any Amrtrak train that's not in the Northeast.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #5754

Get up bright and early to meet a friend at the lumber yard when it opened at 7:00 AM. Then we built a wheel-chair ramp at another friend's house. She will never R, much less E. We'll be back before Xmas to remove it. Only 54, what a shame.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #5755
Administrator

Aw!! I am so sorry to hear that, kumquat. Life is too short.

As for me... plumber done, painter done, electrician done, roofer done, handyman done, carpet installation done... today I acquired new doormats, stove under-burner plates, wall switchplates, and more. Frank is helping me to get the ceiling gratings off so I can clean them, or replace if necessary. Every muscle in my body aches so this day of light work is very welcome.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #5756
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Aw!! I am so sorry to hear that, kumquat. Life is too short.

As for me... plumber done, painter done, electrician done, roofer done, handyman done, carpet installation done... today I acquired new doormats, stove under-burner plates, wall switchplates, and more. Frank is helping me to get the ceiling gratings off so I can clean them, or replace if necessary. Every muscle in my body aches so this day of light work is very welcome.

It sounds like it is time for some pictures! Congratulations on coordinating and completing so many tasks. I bet you're are sick of moving furniture around.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 10-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #5757
Full time employment: Posting here.

This week, we finished building (are you really ever finished?) what will become our full time retirement home next summer so DW and I are spending the weekend here. We couldn't stay overnight until I got the fence up to keep the three dogs in close. A beautiful weekend in West Virginia, clear and high 70's, hope to have the telescope out later.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #5758
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It sounds like it is time for some pictures! Congratulations on coordinating and completing so many tasks. I bet you're are sick of moving furniture around.
Thank you! No photos quite yet because things are still in a state of pandemonium. I was just too sore and exhausted to finish moving it all back. And yes, I am so sick of moving everything I own around! The actual move north should be a piece of cake compared with this. I think the painting and recarpeting would have been a lot easier if I had a garage where I could put everything, and then leave it until the renovations were done. My next home will have a garage.

I have some motivation to move a few things this afternoon, though. I bought some nice, shiny, new under-burner plates for the stovetop, and would like to install them - - but can't get close enough to do that, due to all the stuff piled up in front of it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #5759

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Get up bright and early to meet a friend at the lumber yard when it opened at 7:00 AM. Then we built a wheel-chair ramp at another friend's house. She will never R, much less E. We'll be back before Xmas to remove it. Only 54, what a shame.
It is a shame. I kinda know what you're going through. My BIL and I built one for DW's uncle several years ago in anticipation of him returning home from the nursing home. I can't remember for sure, but I don't think he made it home to use it.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #5760
Give me a forum ...

Well my home project is finally winding down . Room painted , wood work re stained , banister stripped & re stained , carpeting to be delivered next week . My SO did most of the work and he is a perfectionist on home repairs so it looks great but just took longer than if I had hired someone . This will complete my projects for this year . Yeah !