Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #5761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have no water. This morning the community water tank (serves about 30 homes) was just about dry. Current thinking is that there's a major leak somewhere that no one has been able to locate. It may have been caused by our recent 4.5 earthquake that was very close, and very noticeable.

I guess it's better to have power (and Internet and cable and phones), than water, but it is a bother. Our neighbor has donated water from his hot tub for toilet flushing.

Current thinking is that we may be out until Monday or Tuesday.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #5762
Give me a forum ...

Man...I'm sorry about the earthquake and not having any water Al.

The few times we've been without water, I get thirsty right away...then I have to pee.

Today I ate an ice cream cone.

Bleh.....I'm so bored...

Old 10-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #5763
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We have no water. This morning the community water tank (serves about 30 homes) was just about dry. Current thinking is that there's a major leak somewhere that no one has been able to locate. It may have been caused by our recent 4.5 earthquake that was very close, and very noticeable.

I guess it's better to have power (and Internet and cable and phones), than water, but it is a bother. Our neighbor has donated water from his hot tub for toilet flushing.

Current thinking is that we may be out until Monday or Tuesday.
Al , I know this will drive you insane at the frivolous spending but just go to Costco or Walmart and buy a few cases of water to hold you over until it is fixed .
Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #5764
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Al , I know this will drive you insane at the frivolous spending but just go to Costco or Walmart and buy a few cases of water to hold you over until it is fixed .
For flushing toilets?!?

I'd be hauling trash cans to the ocean to pick up my flushing water... and you don't want to know how the ancient Hawaiians handled the waste-disposal issue in their day.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #5765
Administrator

Finally put up my new shed doors (which I made from scratch) this morning and added a finish coat of paint to them. Received my most recent ebay purchase -- a 1963 tubed receiver -- and spent the afternoon first disassembling and cleaning it and then bringing it up to voltage with the variac. It works like a charm and sounds great. I am very happy.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #5766
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
For flushing toilets?!?

I'd be hauling trash cans to the ocean to pick up my flushing water... and you don't want to know how the ancient Hawaiians handled the waste-disposal issue in their day.

No , for drinking & cooking and maybe a sponge bath !
Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #5767
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to the Home Show to get ideas for the house I want to build after retirement. I got info about ductless heat pumps, green countertop materials, Solatubes and other goodies. There was supposed to be a seminar about a net-zero energy house, but the speaker had a family emergency and canceled. There was also a seminar called "How to Invest with Our Money" by the Online Trading Acadamy, but I passed on that one. I'll probably take advantage of the "get back in free" offer tomorrow after church—there are a couple more seminars that sound interesting.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #5768
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No , for drinking & cooking and maybe a sponge bath !
Beach showers. But yeah, OK, I get it now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
There was supposed to be a seminar about a net-zero energy house, ...
No matter how big your photovoltaic array is, you always want a few hundred more watts.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #5769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
No matter how big your photovoltaic array is, you always want a few hundred more watts.
Yeah, ours is 12kw of nameplate, puts out about 17,000kwh per year, and we are gonna use every last drop when we move back home (thought we had excess capacity, so added an electric dryer and a small electric heater...). Now with the advent of the Nissan Leaf and PHVs coming, I'd really like another 2-3kw of panels to power a future EV or PHV car (probably won't do it though).

R
Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #5770

On my homestead I keep 300 gallons of drinking water in a tank, and 800 gallons in a stock tank for the wildlife that is use able. After that I drive up canyon to a spring if needed.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #5771
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Now with the advent of the Nissan Leaf and PHVs coming, I'd really like another 2-3kw of panels to power a future EV or PHV car (probably won't do it though).
As soon as those cars start showing up on Craigslist we're going to buy one and either build a second array on a pergola or replace our original array (which has paid for itself).

Three years? Five years? I wonder what gas prices will be then...

Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #5772
Give me a forum ...

I had forgotten that I'd bought one of these emergency water containers, and it was in the shed, full of water. I used some bleach to disinfect the water, and will use that only for washing. It's very convenient to have a faucet, and I can refill it (7 gallons) at a nearby campground.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #5773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I had forgotten that I'd bought one of these emergency water containers, and it was in the shed, full of water. I used some bleach to disinfect the water, and will use that only for washing. It's very convenient to have a faucet, and I can refill it (7 gallons) at a nearby campground.

Remember when you made the remark about Rich wearing the same shirt ? Well at least he wasn't wearing an apron ! Real men don't eat quiche or wear aprons !
Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #5774
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Remember when you made the remark about Rich wearing the same shirt ? Well at least he wasn't wearing an apron ! Real men don't eat quiche or wear aprons !
Considering the other clothing thread, shouldn't you be grateful that he was at least wearing pants?

Old 10-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #5775

To conserve water, just remember the old California saying. If it's yellow let it mellow, when it's brown flush it down.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #5776
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
To conserve water, just remember the old California saying. If it's yellow let it mellow, when it's brown flush it down.
That's my philosophy.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #5777
Administrator

Today -- went to church in the morning, then got the roadster out to enjoy a beautiful autumn drive here in coastal Connecticut. Had lunch at a little seafood restaurant on the water, then went apple picking. Bright blue sky, cool dry air, leaves starting to change -- it doesn't get much better than this.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #5778

Last year planted Mr. Lincoln. That is a rose bush. Today I plucked a nice big fat rose off the bush and gave it to DW. Later took her for a spin in my new to me 1995 XJ.

She made a very nice dinner.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #5779
Give me a forum ...

Tomorrow is Canadian Thanksgiving. I am having friends over and we are doing the 100 mile diet. I am at my vacation place in the Okanagan Valley , British Columbia. Spent my morning shopping and my afternoon grappling with a 4 lb squash. I'm making this recipe:

SAFEWAY

Currently, it's simmering on the stove and I can tell that I need to blend some of it to reduce the particulate matter content. Right now the kitchen smells of parsley, sage and thyme: wonderful!

Tomorrow, I am baking some wild salmon, roasting some local sweet potatoes, beets and courgettes (zucchini), and making bread pudding with apples and cranberries. And, if time permits, some poached local pears....

Okanagan wines and artisan goat cheese will compliment the meal and the casing of the squash will provide seasonal decor.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #5780
Give me a forum ...

Water's back on, Yay! The still-unlocated leak is on another branch, so they shut that off, and turned our water on.

I'll tell you, losing water (or power) for a while sure makes you appreciate it fully. What a luxury to turn the tap and have water come out. I'm so happy, I'm going to just prance around in my apron!