Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #5901
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Could not get motivated this morning to do anything useful, went for coffee. Then early afternoon again. Finally around three o'clock got interested and pulled my 88 Jag into the garage and started to repair the parking brake. The inspection station has been letting me slide for the past three years.

Then around 5:30 DW dragged me in from the garage by wafting some sauerkraut under my nose.That and pork for dinner with some nice Shiraz. Burp.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #5902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hints:
1. Massachusettes is known for its Portuguese American population.
2. I recently purchased a Portuguese cookbook.
3. I am not a Yankees fan, so there will be peaceful baseball watching.

Just as I suspected ! Have fun !

Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #5903
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Took the cat to the vet for annual stuff. Made the mistake of bring the cage from the garage this morning while he observed such.
When I went to collect him he went berserk; managed to corner him in the 2nd bedroom. He circled the room (~12' sq) several times before I grabbed him.
I'm getting too old for cat wrangling.

He's healthy except he has a cavity on an incisor. So in a few weeks I'll have to spend several hundred dollars for a tooth extraction on an old cat.

Pets: not for the weak of heart or finances.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #5904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Took the cat to the vet for annual stuff. Made the mistake of bring the cage from the garage this morning while he observed such.
We always kept the cat carrier in the house so the kittys were used to it. When the time came, we simply scooped them up and plunked them into the carrier. They never knew it was coming. Now, the trip to the Vet was not a fun time for any of us. Oddly enough, they were anxious to get BACK into the carriers when their ordeal with the Vet was complete. Go figure!!

Good luck with your kitty's tooth. You might shop around for the extraction. I'm guessing there is more of a price range for that than for routine exams/shots.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #5905
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Good luck with your kitty's tooth. You might shop around for the extraction. I'm guessing there is more of a price range for that than for routine exams/shots.
Pet dentistry seems to be where human dentistry was 100 years ago. Tooth is either OK, or needs to be pulled. Maybe it is just the lack of cooperation on the part of the pet? I brush my dog's teeth every day, but I can't see her letting me drill and fill.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #5906
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Pet dentistry seems to be where human dentistry was 100 years ago. Tooth is either OK, or needs to be pulled. Maybe it is just the lack of cooperation on the part of the pet? I brush my dog's teeth every day, but I can't see her letting me drill and fill.
I figure the life span is an absolute max of 20 years.

So pull it.

Shall be expensive

This is my last cat.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #5907
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Oops! I didn't know productivity was supposed to improve with all this technology. I was thinking about the old TI calculators last week. It now takes me less than an hour or two of PC computing to produce what used to take all day with primitive calculators in the mid 70's. But as you noted, I use my increased spare time online doing 'research'
I remember reading a book by Bryan Caplan, a young economist. He points out that the Puritan work ethic that is still prevalent here (we think!) causes people to look suspiciously at the time spent on leisure, as time that is wasted doing non-productive things. Caplan reminds me that the advantage of technology is to allow humans to work less for the same results, and that has always been the goal for man's progresses. Is there honor in shunning machinery and to till the land with a shovel and pick ax?

Ahh! It would be nice if I just work for myself, or if all my pay can be negotiated in terms of work done, so that if I work smart, I can work much less hours and get paid the same as someone who simply works hard.

And then, due to another concurrent thread about competition from abroad, it occurs to me that when you are up against someone who not only works hard, but is also getting smarter, and who has no luxury of diversions like sports game on TV or recreation activities, it is going to be tough to maintain our higher standard of living. How can I compete with someone who only works and doesn't play?

Man, oh man! We are doomed! The only way to level the playing field is to teach them the "decadence" of our leisurely lifestyle. It is our only hope.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #5908
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Pets: not for the weak of heart or finances.
I used to have lots of pets, but have not had any for over a decade. Instead of a pet I have considered the option of buying a stuffed animal, but I don't know if I am ready for that much responsibility right now....

But seriously, I am sorry to hear about your kitty's tooth.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #5909
Moderator Emeritus

We replaced two exterior lights on our rental home and added a third in between them. The tenant pointed out that the sidewalk had some dark areas at night and we wanted to avoid that liability-insurance trap. Besides the old lights were 30 years old, with cute little pathetically-dim candle bulbs, and their plastic parts had definitely exceeded their UV exposure limits.

We got lucky. I drilled the hole through the attic into the exterior wall void and ended up right where I wanted to be (no surprise there), and right in the middle of a four-inch gap by an extra stud that I didn't know was there because the builder had never nailed any exterior siding into it. I'm lucky that my spade bit didn't go through the top plate, right into the top of that stud, and never break out. I was also able to find the wire I wanted to splice into on the first try-- usually I locate two or three candidates and have to carefully pick my way.

The new lights use 40-watt CFLs through milk glass. Bright enough to show the landscaping at night without searing your eyeballs. No dark spots on the sidewalk!

We still have to go back next week for the pruning from hell. Been a lot of rain around here lately.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #5910
Give me a forum ...

Well, I haven't posted in a week since I've been out of town.

Ahhh...to make a long story short, my momma collapsed at home and had to be rushed to the hospital. She's doing a bit better now but her bp is low and her heart is weak. Alzheimer's is close to taking another victim....my precious momma.

My daddy is no longer able to take care of her, so we put her in a nursing home that is only a couple of miles from daddy's house.

As life goes....we just take it one day at a time.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #5911

So sorry bbbamI....that's a very hard decision to make.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #5912
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Ahhh...to make a long story short, my momma collapsed at home and had to be rushed to the hospital. She's doing a bit better now but her bp is low and her heart is weak. Alzheimer's is close to taking another victim....my precious momma.

My daddy is no longer able to take care of her, so we put her in a nursing home that is only a couple of miles from daddy's house.

HUG HUG HUG HUG
Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #5913

I'm so sorry bbbamI. May love surround you as you proceed through the difficult days ahead.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #5914
Give me a forum ...

I wore shorts and a tank top today while I planted 3 more hardy mums in my front raised garden bed.
The 3 new ones are to the left of the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mumsonparade.jpg (29.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #5915
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So sorry to hear about your Mom ! Take care !
Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #5916
Full time employment: Posting here.

So sorry to hear about you mother, bbamI. Good thing the nursing home is near your father's home so he can visit her more often.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #5917
Give me a forum ...

Thank you all for your kind words through posts and PMs. The support I receive here really does make a difference in my heart...
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #5918
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so sorry. You're a good daughter. Your parents should be proud.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #5919
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you all for your kind words through posts and PMs. The support I receive here really does make a difference in my heart...
The flower pic in post 5915 was for you, kiddo.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #5920
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Saturday was the day for high school marching band area competitions across Texas for 5A high schools (there are 23 regions in Texas, each representing several hundred high schools).

This is not the marching band you remember from your high school days. These kids compete flat out at damn near a sprint. Here's DS #2's performance from about a month ago. It's only 1/2 of the final program, and a lot of it changed since then:

For comparison, here's the same school's band performance from 1988

SWEET!!! It has a drum corps flair to it.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Closed Thread