Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #5921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I brush my dog's teeth every day,
Years ago, when we had a cat, our vet once suggested doing this, and she demonstrated with a "toothbrush" that had only a few long limp "bristles," and she showed us how we were supposed to gently wipe this along the teeth and gums. It was like a joke, and I can't imagine it making any difference.

Is that for real?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #5922
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, I haven't posted in a week since I've been out of town.

Ahhh...to make a long story short, my momma collapsed at home and had to be rushed to the hospital. She's doing a bit better now but her bp is low and her heart is weak. Alzheimer's is close to taking another victim....my precious momma.

My daddy is no longer able to take care of her, so we put her in a nursing home that is only a couple of miles from daddy's house.

As life goes....we just take it one day at a time.
I'm so sorry to hear this news bbbamI. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #5923
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Years ago, when we had a cat, our vet once suggested doing this, and she demonstrated with a "toothbrush" that had only a few long limp "bristles," and she showed us how we were supposed to gently wipe this along the teeth and gums. It was like a joke, and I can't imagine it making any difference.

Is that for real?
Greyhounds are especially susceptible to tooth problems. Once there is a problem, they have to be anesthetized, which is risky for dogs with low body fat. If you look at virtually any greyhound rescue site, you'll see that tooth brushing is recommended. That said, I had a whippet (very greyhound like) for 16 years and never brushed his teeth, though I did chip tartar off with dental tools. He never lost a tooth. Amazingly, my dog comes running when she hears the closet with the doggie toothbrush in it open. She knows that she will get a tooth cleaning treat when it is over. YMMV

Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #5924
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear about your Mom's condition, bbam! Hugs!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #5925

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
As life goes....we just take it one day at a time.
I'm sorry to hear that you're having to go through that. Even when you know it's coming that doesn't make it any easier.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #5926
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Ran errands/shopping to several locations.

I need a wife.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #5927
Give me a forum ...

I cooked a large turkey last week end so today I'm making turkey soup & turkey tetrazzini . I also bought a new lamp . It's a life guard station standing lamp and it goes perfect with our slightly funky beachy casual look .
Old 10-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #5928
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I need a wife.
It seems that no matter which way you try to handle it, you end up going out three or four times a week or else doing a once-a-week marathon.

I'm referring to the errands/shopping, not the wives...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #5929
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Is that for real?
We had a sweat Corgi that didn't like us to touch his teeth. He built up tartar very quickly and that meant large vet bills. As he got older there were health problems some associated with his teeth. Plus his mouth didn't smell so great at times.

If we ever get another dog I'll learn how to gently brush once in awhile, every day is probably not required. There are brushing techniques that vets can discuss that don't involve tooth brushes. I think the trick is to introduce the brushing very carefully and gently.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #5930
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I need a wife.
Nowadays, some husbands do that. Wouldn't that work better?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #5931
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
We had a sweat Corgi that didn't like us to touch his teeth.
My wife brushes our dog's teeth occasionally -- maybe once a month -- and every week we give him a tooth-cleaning dog chew: C.E.T HEXtra, Premium Chews for Chlorhexidine for Dogs (from Amazon). It works to keep his teeth in good shape, according to our vet. The dog doesn't like the chews all that well, but if we pretend we're trying to get a chew away from him, and do some growling, he'll get interested enough to chew it up.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #5932
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nowadays, some husbands do that. Wouldn't that work better?
I could use both. I'm quite lazy.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #5933

Went for a 5K run. Than watched someone else put a new ceiling in our Arizona room.

The Gypsy Carpenters
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #5934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
My wife brushes our dog's teeth occasionally -- maybe once a month -- and every week we give him a tooth-cleaning dog chew: C.E.T HEXtra, Premium Chews for Chlorhexidine for Dogs (from Amazon). It works to keep his teeth in good shape, according to our vet. The dog doesn't like the chews all that well, but if we pretend we're trying to get a chew away from him, and do some growling, he'll get interested enough to chew it up.
Cute story! Our Corgi had digestive problems with the CET's. We tried a lot of things. So that's why I'd urge others to consider light brushing. There are even finger cots that you can load with doggy toothpaste.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #5935
Give me a forum ...

Drove down to the AL coast to visit my nephew and his wife. Enjoyed good BBQ from his restaurant and inhaled some good seafood. Never realized crude oil was such a good marinating sauce.

Looks like the oil did sink to the bottom of the gulf. I saw no trace of it on the beach. Did see some of BP's equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 032.jpg (355.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 031.jpg (371.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (555.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #5936
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I could use both.
Just a figure of speech, of course.
Sometimes, I just let my imagination run wild...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #5937
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Drove down to the AL coast to visit my nephew and his wife. Enjoyed good BBQ from his restaurant and inhaled some good seafood. Never realized crude oil was such a good marinating sauce.

Looks like the oil did sink to the bottom of the gulf. I saw no trace of it on the beach. Did see some of BP's equipment.
My parents used to live in Gulf Shores, I spent some time there. Good to see the beaches are still white.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #5938
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post

Is the sand really that white? That is awesome! So beautiful. Thanks for posting these photos.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #5939
Give me a forum ...

Today is chill out day. I did some laundry folding, defrosted some baby back ribs and coated them with Dinosaur BBQ Red Rub dry marinade, and am now just sitting and surfing.

Tomorrow is a very special day. My fave Bostonian is returning from a week long visit with family. The ribs are for his Welcome Home (literally) dinner.
I'll get some potato salad from the deli. A big container of homemade sweet tea is all ready in the frig. He is bringing back Lemon Squares, a NE bakery specialty not available here in Noo Yawk.
It doesn't have to be July to be PICNIC TIME!

I may not be online until after Halloween, so be sure to be nice to all the INTERESTING monsters.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #5940

Today DW and I are just relaxing around the house. It was 38 years ago this hour she became my bride. I hope the ride continues.