Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #5941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Today DW and I are just relaxing around the house. It was 38 years ago this hour she became my bride. I hope the ride continues.
Congratulations to you two newlyweds...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #5942
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do believe I just turned down a scam artist. A guy in his 30s dressed in jeans, sweatshirt and baseball cap, just rang my doorbell. There was no vehicle to be seen in my driveway.
I let the guy walk a safe distance away from the front door, then went downstairs and opened it just a little and yelled "Can I help you?"
My dog Bruno was barking his head off right by my side. This guy took one look at all 65 lbs of Shepherd and Golden Lab mix and I saw the fear in his eyes.
He kinda stuttered out..."We're in the area today doing tree work and wanted to know if you wanted your hedges trimmed." I saw no tree rig truck, just a small SUV pulling along the road.

Begone, fools!

I'm OK. I know better than to open the door to a random walkup. It was kinda creepy though.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #5943

Went to the dentist to have a cracked filling replaced. He said he was glad to have an easy routine job to do since everything else had been complicated.

Spent most of the day playing with Photoshop and some new portrait software. DW wasn't around to practice on so I was reduced to practicing on my photo.

Cool stuff. In five minutes I took off 25 years! Wish it was that easy in real life....
Old 10-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #5944
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm OK. I know better than to open the door to a random walkup.
Well, you wouldn't need to let a tree trimmer into your house. In my neighborhood, this is the way it goes. While most of a crew is working in one yard, they'll have one guy canvas the other houses on the street, trying to find a few other jobs to fill out their day. And not just yards -- my neighbors across the street were having their roof re-done, and one of the guys walked over and asked me if I needed any roofing done. I did, and he took a look, gave me a quote of $400, which was much less than I had been quoted previously. We did the deal, and they did great work.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #5945

Finished winterizing my trailer. Workout at the Y, breakfest, coffee, collect the mail, nap, dinner of pepper steak made by DW.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #5946
Give me a forum ...

I won free movie tickets as a prize for test driving a Toyota approximately 2 months ago. Tickets arrived in the mail yesterday and expire October 31. So, after a long day at work, I decided to go to the movies. Nothing that I really wanted to see, but chose The Social Network. For some strange reason I went into the wrong cinema and didn't realize until the movie had gotten underway that this was probably not The Social Network. And the title didn't appear till the end. It started with a newborn baby and it seemed to be a nice suburban drama until......WHAM! odd things started to happen. It was Paranormal Activity 2. Ordinarily I would never choose to see a horror movie. But I stuck with it, on the edge of my seat......you could have heard a pin drop as people waited for the next violent event. I am not telling you the story. But it's s.c.a.r.y......

Happy Halloween!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #5947
Recycles dryer sheets

I am going to New York City this weekend to visit a old friend of my now-deceased parents. I will take her for a walk around the city to look at people in Halloween costumes. And then off to a lovely dinner some place (too many to choose from!). Then on Sunday morning, go for a nice easy run in Central Park, Dimsum in Chinatown, then back to Wash DC suburbs where I live. Weather promises to be sunny and in the 60s. Should be wonderful! Happy Halloween to ALL!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #5948
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Did laundry and put on line.
Crocked a chicken.
Voted.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #5949
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haircut early this morning, put up more wood siding on my new workshop this afternoon. Frozen pizaa in the oven, had a glass of wine and soaked in the hot tub for 30 minutes and it's only 6 pm. Life is good.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #5950

Finished DS and DIL's bathroom reno. Getting ready for 2 weeks in PV starting Monday.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #5951
Full time employment: Posting here.

[CODE]"Well, I haven't posted in a week since I've been out of town.

Ahhh...to make a long story short, my momma collapsed at home and had to be rushed to the hospital. She's doing a bit better now but her bp is low and her heart is weak. Alzheimer's is close to taking another victim....my precious momma.

My daddy is no longer able to take care of her, so we put her in a nursing home that is only a couple of miles from daddy's house.

As life goes....we just take it one day at a time."

Bbami(sp?),

I am sorry to hear about your mom. It is hard when our parents are no longer the strong people we know as children.

Hugs and love to you and yours...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #5952
Moderator Emeritus

Got about two pounds of firestarting material in the mail today. Got my first 'push poll' of the season.

"So, with this new information, who would you vote for in the Senate race?"

"Cthulhu"

"Beg pardon? Could you spell that?"

"One of the Great Old Ones, currently residing in R'lyeh, just outside Oxnard."

*CLICK*

I figure I kept them off of someone else's phone for several minutes. Tuesday can't come (and go) too soon for me.

Edit: ANOTHER poll. I asked the goniff if this was a push poll, and he actually said Yes! Voted the usual Chthonic slate.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #5953
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Chthonic
One of my favorite words.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #5954
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
One of my favorite words.
I was gonna vote for "goniff"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #5955
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Finished DS and DIL's bathroom reno. Getting ready for 2 weeks in PV starting Monday.
We got here yesterday! Where are you staying?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #5956
Give me a forum ...

Well the past few days have had ups and downs, but I'm happy to say the last two days that momma's been in the nursing home have gone rather well. Her condition is not going to get better, but for now she seems very content and comfortable.

Daddy knows it's best that she is there, however he is struggling with the fact that she is not at home with him. But, he is getting more rest and is feeling stronger each day.

Ahhhh...one day at a time.

....oh, I tickled the toes of a baby today and made her laugh.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #5957
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well the past few days have had ups and downs, but I'm happy to say the last two days that momma's been in the nursing home have gone rather well. Her condition is not going to get better, but for now she seems very content and comfortable.

Daddy knows it's best that she is there, however he is struggling with the fact that she is not at home with him. But, he is getting more rest and is feeling stronger each day.

Ahhhh...one day at a time.

....oh, I tickled the toes of a baby today and made her laugh.
Glad she seems content. They sometimes do better in that environment than we think they will. Hopefully your Dad will adjust. Can he drive to see her?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #5958
Recycles dryer sheets

took the dog to the vet for his ears.
stopped by the library
raked the yard and mulched the leaves
took the Mrs. to Panera's for lunch
stopped by WalMart for an oil filter for the car.
changed the oil on the car.
made a fire in the wood stove.
started to watch Anne Hall...then fell asleep.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #5959
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Glad she seems content. They sometimes do better in that environment than we think they will. Hopefully your Dad will adjust. Can he drive to see her?
Thanks Dawg...

Yes, he goes several times a day. The nursing home is only about two miles from his house. The hospital and nursing home are under one roof, so that makes it convenient. Two of my cousins work at the nursing home and one cousin works at the hospital. Momma and daddy live in a rural community so everyone knows everyone. In this case, that is a very good thing.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #5960
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol, which on Saturday morning in less-than-optimal surf was probably not such a good idea. By 7 AM there were over 100 people in the water and the paddleboarders were the only ones regularly catching waves. Boy was that water cold-- I got out after 90 minutes (when my hands went numb). You know you've been in too long when you're warming up under the beach shower. Next time I'm wearing neoprene.

When my core temperature returned to normal we hauled the Prius' old factory-original battery to the e-waste recycle day at the local community college. Hopefully the new Optima battery is the last one we'll put in that car. After all it doesn't have to crank a starter motor in cold weather-- it just has to keep the computers and iPod running.

Our kid turns 18 tomorrow. Her Facebook page is starting to run pretty hot and Rice U is throwing their "Night of Decadence" party. I'm not exactly sure I want to know why she suddenly needs so many water balloons...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Closed Thread