Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #5961
Administrator

It's a beautiful fall day here in Connecticut and I just returned from church. It is Reformation Sunday today, which is one of my favorite services of the year. I especially like it when the organist literally "pulls out all the stops" and the thundering chords of Martin Luther's great hymn, A Mighty Fortress is our God, boom out over the congregation, with the large choir joining in as fortissimo as they possibly can. The windows of our 200-year old meetinghouse rattle from the sound. Then our pastor, who has a PhD in history as well as a DD, gives us a history lesson on Martin Luther, the Protestant Reformation and the doctrine of sola fide.

Now I need to go rake leaves.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #5962
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It's a beautiful fall day here in Connecticut and I just returned from church. It is Reformation Sunday today, which is one of my favorite services of the year. I especially like it when the organist literally "pulls out all the stops" and the thundering chords of Martin Luther's great hymn, A Mighty Fortress is our God, boom out over the congregation, with the large choir joining in as fortissimo as they possibly can. The windows of our 200-year old meetinghouse rattle from the sound. Then our pastor, who has a PhD in history as well as a DD, gives us a history lesson on Martin Luther, the Protestant Reformation and the doctrine of sola fide.

Now I need to go rake leaves.
I've always thought your post here was one of the best ever.

Music that moves you

Old 10-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #5963
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am sitting here surfing while the NE Patriots/Vikings game is on for a certain someone. Then tonight there will be a World Series game to watch.
I have requested double points for valiantly keeping myself quiet during the games. Half duplex comm is strictly prohibited during active play time.
Full duplex comm is permitted during commercials.

I made PB cookies today from a package of mix. I am starting to go through my pantry and finding the cans of soup, mixes, etc that will expire in early 2011.

Life surely is nice with constant company.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #5964
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Couldn't agree more...so thankful for my DH!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 10-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #5965
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Yeah. Now if I could just teach him to fetch a med out of the refrig for me.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #5966

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We got here yesterday! Where are you staying?
First week at Mexican Resort at Los Tules, 2nd week to be decided, Old PV, Lake Chapala, San Miquel or??
Old 11-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #5967
Give me a forum ...

Got a standby jury duty summons on Friday. Because of my hearing loss this year, I called the doctor's office today to see if I could get a note from my doctor releasing me from jury duty. I'll know tomorrow.

Meanwhile I have more wallpaper to scrape off the walls. Might be done by Christmas...
Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #5968
Give me a forum ...

Listening to Aretha on the radio now. She is just so fabulous.

I watched a computer installation happen today. Mr Boston is a network ace and got my faithful HP 932C printer back on the LAN for me.
I really should learn this network stuff, but my techie days are over.
25 years of being a techno-geek trying to keep up with the latest developments were plenty. to that pressure.

I'll bribe my system administrator with choc chip cookies and homecooked meals and....

Road trip to MA coming up soon. Wheeeeeeeeeee
Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #5969
Full time employment: Posting here.

Made vegetable beef soup and lasagna. Dusted and removed cobwebs in part of my house for the first time since May. I live outside in the summer. May go outside and remove ignition coils from one mower so I can try them on the other to see if that is really the problem. Baseball game tonight.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #5970
Moderator Emeritus

Back at the tenant's again to catch up on the pruning we meant to do two weeks ago and again last week when we were installing outdoor lights.

It was overcast and gloomy when we drove down there, but darn it we're way behind schedule and this time of the year it rains almost daily yet intermittently through February. We knew that if we gave up and went back home then Murphy's Law would make the rest of the day sunny & mild.

Sure enough as soon as we plugged in and started cutting, it started drizzling. It wasn't hard enough to make us quit but it persisted for the entire two hours (plus a 65-gallon can and six more 30-gallon bags of green waste). I guess I combined the shower with the pruning and never had to worry about sunscreen...

The good news is that I have tomorrow morning free now. The not-so-good news is that the North Shore is getting its first monster swell of the season. The surf forecast is for 25+, which will attract quite a crowd. I'll probably wait until Wednesday or Thursday when both the waves and the crowds subside a little.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #5971
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to the grocery store. They were removing all the Halloween stuff.
Realized the gas tank was near empty and filled it.
Bought a bunch of bird food at ACE. They don't wait for me to ask for help. The employee was lifting 20# bags with one hand.
I think I was young once.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It's a beautiful fall day here in Connecticut and I just returned from church. It is Reformation Sunday today, which is one of my favorite services of the year. I especially like it when the organist literally "pulls out all the stops" and the thundering chords of Martin Luther's great hymn, A Mighty Fortress is our God, boom out over the congregation, with the large choir joining in as fortissimo as they possibly can. ....
That is one of my favorites! Played and sung fortissimo, in harmony, it is stunning!

R
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #5973
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
First week at Mexican Resort at Los Tules, 2nd week to be decided, Old PV, Lake Chapala, San Miquel or??
We used to own a timeshare there: 6-113.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #5974
Recycles dryer sheets

Sitting here on my little patio in the Cabo area, surfing the net, checking my portfolio, posting on various boards (including this one).

Seriously pondering what would happen if I didn't show up for my flight home to "Raincouver" in two weeks. Spending time down here really helps me focus on my ER goals. Two or three weeks a year in the Baja just isn't cutting it anymore.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #5975
Give me a forum ...

I helped drive to MA. Eating real pizza right now.

Back sooooooon....
Old 11-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #5976

Last night I brought home a notebook computer belonging to a guy at work who'd had a hard drive failure, which he had the store replace and he'd reinstalled Win XP from the restore disk, then promptly forgot the password for the Admin account. Then he couldn't get the restore disk to work again.

Whatever the reason it worked fine for me and with about five minutes of actual work the system was restored to factory defaults. He said Best Buy was going to charge him $150 to do that and now thinks I'm a miracle worker.

But then I couldn't find an intermittent connection for the driving lights on my motorcycle, which the guy at the shop found in about two minutes. So we all have our talents....

Mowed the "back 40" while DW mowed the front, ate lunch and then went for a motorcycle ride for a couple of hours. I had to get the ride in because the next two days are forecast rainy.

It gets cold enough now that the last two days when I got off work there was frost on the motorcycle seat. This is not a good thing.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #5977
Moderator Emeritus

Dropped the cat off at the vet to have a tooth pulled tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #5978
Give me a forum ...

Attended my uncle's funeral today. He was 94 and in pretty good shape up until the final few months. No complaints though, he was a very positive person and someone you always enjoyed being around. Wish I could be like him. Drove 180 miles round trip in the rain. Although a sad occasion, it was good to see all my relatives and reminisce.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #5979
Moderator Emeritus

In our kid's young adult's first official act since turning 18 on Sunday, she spun out her bike on a wet patch of college campus and smacked her head on the sidewalk. She was "in a hurry" that morning to get to her NROTC PT so she had elected to speed up her commute by not putting on her helmet.

She e-mailed me ["sent from my iPhone"] that she'd had herself checked by the campus EMTs; they said she was OK but should visit a doctor if she started feeling bad. She wanted to check with me whether that was necessary. By the time I e-mailed back (4 AM HST) she'd decided it was necessary and had gone to Houston Medical Center for a CAT scan. Must've been a really slow morning over there because she was inside the gear within 30 minutes.

They found no evidence of cerebral activity damage and pronounced her lucky. She later learned that NROTC PT had been canceled due to rain so she didn't need to explain her absence-- and thus she also avoided having to give training to the entire unit on Navy bicycle safety.

The highlight of the saga was when I called Tricare. I hadn't yet properly trained our progeny on the intricacies of authorizations & referrals so I wanted to let the authorities know about the ER bill. Our kid's in a different region than us now so she has a different contract medical administrator and a different PCM. They haughtily informed me that our 18-year-old's HIPAA is none of our business. So we parents are officially out of a job!

With that fine start to my day, I enjoyed my first cup of coffee and then ran Scoobie on our tile floors. Next time I'll have to make sure I get my spouse's pile of papers well clear of the little sucker.

The bitter Hawaii winter has begun. A rotating low-pressure system has been parked over our house for the last three days now-- constant clouds, sporadic rainfall, and no sunshine. The water heater's down to 110 degrees and the photovoltaic array has only made a half-dozen kilowatt-hours this week. Of course we haven't had to turn on the ceiling fans all week, either, so maybe we'll still come out ahead...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #5980
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In our kid's young adult's first official act since turning 18 on Sunday, she spun out her bike on a wet patch of college campus and smacked her head on the sidewalk. She was "in a hurry" that morning to get to her NROTC PT so she had elected to speed up her commute by not putting on her helmet.

She e-mailed me ["sent from my iPhone"] that she'd had herself checked by the campus EMTs; they said she was OK but should visit a doctor if she started feeling bad. She wanted to check with me whether that was necessary. By the time I e-mailed back (4 AM HST) she'd decided it was necessary and had gone to Houston Medical Center for a CAT scan. Must've been a really slow morning over there because she was inside the gear within 30 minutes.

They found no evidence of cerebral activity damage and pronounced her lucky. She later learned that NROTC PT had been canceled due to rain so she didn't need to explain her absence-- and thus she also avoided having to give training to the entire unit on Navy bicycle safety.

The highlight of the saga was when I called Tricare. I hadn't yet properly trained our progeny on the intricacies of authorizations & referrals so I wanted to let the authorities know about the ER bill. Our kid's in a different region than us now so she has a different contract medical administrator and a different PCM. They haughtily informed me that our 18-year-old's HIPAA is none of our business. So we parents are officially out of a job!

With that fine start to my day, I enjoyed my first cup of coffee and then ran Scoobie on our tile floors. Next time I'll have to make sure I get my spouse's pile of papers well clear of the little sucker.

The bitter Hawaii winter has begun. A rotating low-pressure system has been parked over our house for the last three days now-- constant clouds, sporadic rainfall, and no sunshine. The water heater's down to 110 degrees and the photovoltaic array has only made a half-dozen kilowatt-hours this week. Of course we haven't had to turn on the ceiling fans all week, either, so maybe we'll still come out ahead...
How long does it take to put on a helmet?