Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday (fun outdoors day!) - drove up to the Waldo Lake Wilderness in the western Cascade foothills. Ate breakfast out on the way. Hiked 5 miles around the south end of Waldo Lake. DH chased a bunch of dragonflies and butterflies with his camera. Relaxed at the RV park on the Williamette river. Got a big load of laundry done. Cooked a nice Italian dinner with a good bottle of red wine.

Today (RV maintenance day) - packed up and moved the motorhome to Junction City in preparation for scheduled service tomorrow. DH washed the motorhome. I got a bunch of the inside put away, cleaned and vacuumed - we have an appointment to get the carpet professionally cleaned tomorrow too. Also did some diagnostic tests on our engine preheat which has stopped working. Called tech support and got info about more things to check before ordering a replacement pump. Still got in my 2 mile walk in spite of the heavy chore day.

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I got out of work at 5am after a long weekend looking forward to my 11 days off. By 5:05am I was across the steet with about 15-20 co-workers having a couple beers. Got home about 5:45 and had instant oatmeal for breakfast. Watched tv and checked email until going to sleep around 7:30. Woke up at 3pm. Watched tv and "surfed" all evening. Decided I was too worn out to get dressed and get the mail. I have to get up early tomorrow (9:30am) to start my vacation so i'll continue watching tv until about 1am before going to bed. Hopefully that's enough rest.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my day started before my body woke up. i was practicing dream yoga, meditating in my sleep. the lucid dream scene was inside an oddly comfortable yet austere room with no furniture or windows. it had smooth stone walls, ceiling and flooring. in the center of the room was stone set in stone in a large square and there i sat my dream body upon the stone mosaic square of floor to practice meditation. as to the dream elements, the mosaic floor represents happiness, in front of me was a wide but darkened doorway representing future fortune unknown. guarding either side of the doorway stood an oar (either frivolity or just a remnent of the beijing sculling event i enjoyed yesterday) and a old broom, representing false friends (a problem i've had to deal with since retirement).

during meditation, i was trying to work with the vibration of my voice but could not get my dream body to utter a sound. losing composure in my frustration, i lost the ability to maintain balancing just the right amount of consciousness to stay lucid with just the right lack of consciousness to continue generating the dream and so lost both, waking my body up for a moment and then falling back into unconsciousness and non lucid dreaming for the rest of the evening.

i finally awoke at about 10 this morning in the middle of a non-lucid dream about how to handle div & cap gains tax ramifications on after-tax investments, got out of bed, went to the computer and started studying finance to a tall glass of iced coffee.

this afternoon i wondered more about moving for a few years to new jersey to get to know my recently found (after about 15 years missing in action) father. i called human resources of my old fortune5 to get the name of the manager in charge of a job opening in an office about 30-40 minutes from where my dad lives, thinking maybe i'd settle back into a "normal" life for a few years and get to know the guy on weekends. human resources didn't trust that i was who i said i was and wouldn't give me the info (lovely, after 18 years of service, huh?).

so i contacted my prior colleagues who were all delighted to hear from me and i them. it wasn't until i was discussing with a national sales rep old buddy of mine my options, vagabonding around the world or settling into working life in jersey that i started wondering, as he seemed certain, that i hadn't fallen off my rocker. it was actually a very funny moment and we both got a good laugh of it.

at that, i decided i should think about this for another day before contacting the manager in charge so i spent the rest of the afternoon working in the garden and doing some laundry. before i knew it i was missing the evening news, made myself a light dinner of some cheese, olives, apples and bread, watched my boyfriend win easily another gold in the 200-meter freestyle, poured myself a white russian, did a little writing and a lot of reading and, well, here i am, summing up my day.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #44
gone traveling

Woke up at 5:00AM to let our 18 year old blind & deaf Schnoodle out.
Collected the dog, showed her where her food and water were (every day is an adventure)
Talked with a client from Saudi Arabia regarding a project.
Made a breakfast burrito.
Checked email and visited the forum.
Did paperwork for a couple of hours.
Checked the chlorine in the pool floater and extracted a dead lizard from the pool. Ran the net around the edges.
Checked email, and voicemail and returned phone calls.
Tried to find replacement gas shocks online for my pickup bed cover.
Ate a slice of leftover pizza and an oatmeal raisin cookie for lunch, read the Sunday paper.
DW's parents stopped by to pick up the dog- they watch her when we are out of town. Talked with them for a few minutes.
Talked with a friend, learned I was elected on Saturday to the BoD for the HOA where we have our summer cabin in the mountains.
Chaired a conference call.
Confirmed itineraries and details for an upcoming trade show.
Lounged around in the pool for an hour after the home office closed.
Talked with my sister in KS.
Went to the mall and bought two pairs of dress slacks- one size larger.
Ate a low-carb dinner. Skipped dessert.
Stopped at a friends house on the way home. Admired his kids new go-kart. Talked about politics and work BS.
Stopped at the grocery store for Diet Coke and low-carb tortillas on the way home.
Threw away the rest of the oatmeal cookies when I got home.
Packed for a 3-day business trip tomorrow AM.
Reviewed architectural plans, utility bills, taxes, etc. for a house we are considering buying in Washington State. Reviewed estimated values online.
Talked with the DW, who is out of town on business.
Checked personal email and visited the forum. Forwarded the better jokes and responded to this thread.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday went to the gym for Group Power weight class
took teenage son to his friends house
walked treadmill 30mins
watched lifetime, watched lifetime
fed the bunnies
read a few pages
went on internet
went to sleep

ITS BEEN RAINING ALL SUMMER is that cos this is my first summer off in about 30 years?!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

See? This is why where you live matters.

Its rained here once in 8 months, and it was barely enough to qualify for the term 'rain'.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #47

I guess it depends what you like. 100 at 3 in the afternoon or some rain...
Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

But its been such a nice mild summer! Its hardly gone over 95!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #49

It never goes over 75 in my place
Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
See? This is why where you live matters.

Its rained here once in 8 months, and it was barely enough to qualify for the term 'rain'.
Give me rain, any day, over a dry, parched, brown countryside, dust, relentless sun, and chapped lips.

I really prefer the climate in New Orleans to many because we get over 60" of rain a year. That is something I'll miss when we move to Missouri, though I think they still get 30-35" of rain a year there. Lots more than in some irrigated desert locations that are now cities and suburbs in drier regions.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Give me rain, any day, over a dry, parched, brown countryside, dust, relentless sun, and chapped lips.

I really prefer the climate in New Orleans to many because we get over 60" of rain a year. That is something I'll miss when we move to Missouri, though I think they still get 30-35" of rain a year there. Lots more than in some irrigated desert locations that are now cities and suburbs in drier regions.
Actually, the most perfect weather in the entire planet (of course with the exception of Cuernavaca, Mexico) is in SW Oregon. Where I live we get abot 35 inches of rain a year. All in a few months from late November to early April. Very little (if any snow) Summers are warm but humidity is very low - no bugs- All the beauty of the West without the dessert views. Lots of ponderosa and cedar forests.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

EJman - you have no bugs - does that mean roaches? Mice? Little bitty ants?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #53
Gone but not forgotten

1- got up at 5:am
2- quickly finished packing & got dressed
3- hugged my daughter & grandson good bye
4- drove to Buffalo airport
5- stood in line with tons of people who were all being rebooked ( crazy scene )
6- plane was two hours late , fretted about conection
7- ran to connection as they were bording
8- arrived in Tampa
9- suitcase also arrived ,amazing !
10 - SO took me out for dinner
11- unpacked & did laundry
12- caught up with mail
13- early to bed
14- Checked out the progress of the remodeling SO is doing
15- Tomorrow I return to my normal life
Old 08-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfrugalone View Post
EJman - you have no bugs - does that mean roaches? Mice? Little bitty ants?
no roaches, no little bitty ants (or big ones for that matter), no mosquitoes ( if you are far enough from standing water), no scorpions, no tarantulas, no kmodo dragons. Do hang my head in shame however we have mice in the fields - but very happy owls and hawks - does that count?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

1. I was awoken by the phone at 7:00 am (wrong number, I hate that...). Fed the cats, went back to bed until 8:00 am.
2. Checked the stock market and downloaded last week's account transactions in Quicken.
3. Had breakfast, did some emails, checked out this forum
4. Took a shower, got dressed.
5. Watered the backyard
6. Went out to the grocery store.
7. Made lunch, ate lunch, did the dishes, fed the cats.
8. Checked the market again, checked out this forum again.
9. Went to the Kohl's to buy T-shirts.
10. Played the wii for 2 hours.
11. Cooked dinner, ate dinner, washed the dishes, fed the cats.
12. Watched Olympics, surfed the internet.
13. Went to bed at midnight.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

You also have the excitement of tornados to look forward to in Missouri. And the freak 20" + snowstorm every few years...
Plus 98 degrees with 98% humidity in the summer.
I moved away as soon as I got out of college.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #57
Administrator

Drank coffee
Hosed off deck
Went to Costco for ray bans, cheese and bread
Started cutting the grass (finally)
Went to gas station
Finished cutting grass
Read forum posts about roach clips and beach attire
Washed dog
Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Read forum posts about roach clips and beach attire
Sounds painful. I'd just stick with the traditional swimsuit...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Slept in until 9AM. Got up and took the dogs for a walk. Let DW sleep until 10AM while I read the paper and drank coffee looking out the front window of the motorhome at the fog rushing through the trees as it lifted off the ocean.

Returned some phone calls from yesterday.

After breakfast and getting cleaned up we drove to Yaquina Head lighthouse and toured the building and took a lot of photos as the fog lifted and then set in again.

Toured the bayfront area of Newport, OR and then ate lunch at a local cafe and gorged on very well cooked fried cod, salmon, oysters, clams, haddock, fries and a Fat Tire beer. Gotta love Oregon....so many craft beers....so little time.

Took the car to get a tire leak fixed.

Did some motorhome engine checks and some minor clean up.

Took the dogs for a long walk throught the woods and down to the beach. Took more photos along the way.

Went out for pie and coffee.

Downloaded photos to computer and cleaned camera.

Ate ice cream with DW and washed the dishes.

Wrote some post cards to friends and family.

Visited the forum and posted a couple of photos.

Will take the dogs out again soon followed by the evening news from Portland and then to bed.

Tomorrow is another chance to experience new things.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #60

Today was a slightly more typical day for me than yesterday.

Got outta bed around 9am. Ate breakfast. Goofed off and checked email and E-R forum. Gave neighbor Jon a bag of tomatoes, then goofed off some more.

Ate lunch. Made a quick grocery store run, and then goofed off. Was given a bag of sweet corn by neighbor Jon (Del Monte's 'Super Sweet' freshly picked from the field). Made a quick run to Doctor's office to get a bag of free drugs (he gives me 4 to 5 weeks worth of free samples instead of making me pay at a pharmacy), then came back home and goofed off. Gave neighbor Barb some cucumbers (she made lunch for us the other day), and then goofed off.

Ate supper. Did some work on my train layout. Watched Micheal Phelps get 2 more gold medals, checked email and forum (now). Now it's time to goof off and play some solitaire, read a bit, watch some TV, and then hit the pillows about 2am.
Closed Thread