Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #581
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to the store and picked up some of the deli's 'homemade' spinach dip, baby carrots, salad fixin's, and some sesame crackers. Came home and had a fairly healthy lunch.....at least more so than the normal cr*p I eat for lunch.

Just finished my healthy eating, and the door bell rings....there stands the neighbor with arm loads of food! A couple big pieces each of pumpkin pie & cherry pie, and 2 plates of homemade cookies, candies, and fudge! He and his wife don't eat the stuff, they only make it and have it on hand when company comes to visit.....so as soon as any holidays or festivities are over, he shows up on my doorstep with high-calorie, fattening goodies!

So after a nice healthy breakfast & lunch....I hit the junk food....then tonight I figured what the heck.....I might as well cap the day off with some delicious, deep-fat fried 'tavern' chicken!!! That's a balanced diet, right?!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
...pumpkin pie & cherry pie, and 2 plates of homemade cookies, candies, and fudge!
...delicious, deep-fat fried 'tavern' chicken!!! That's a balanced diet, right?!
Suuuuuuurrrrrre...I'll be right over, so save me some.
BTW, everything but the pumpkin pie will freeze nicely in ziplocs if it's too much for you to finish. And of course your road crew buddies need more bribing.
what is "tavern" chicken?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Suuuuuuurrrrrre...I'll be right over, so save me some.
BTW, everything but the pumpkin pie will freeze nicely in ziplocs if it's too much for you to finish. And of course your road crew buddies need more bribing.
what is "tavern" chicken?
No ziplocs needed! The pie is history! The fudge is all gone! Most of the candies have evaporated into thin air...or so I have to assume, 'cause I didn't eat them...must've been someone walking through the kitchen. And the cookies have greatly diminished in quantity!

And the guy that brought these to our door, is the same one who 2 weeks ago brought over a couple of pork steaks...hot off the grill!!! And also gave me a bunch of venison sausage patties a few days before that! I really like my neighbor!!!

Tavern fried chicken is chicken that's breaded with well seasoned flour with a little (very little) finely ground bread crumbs mixed in (never battered) and then deep-fat fried until quite crispy on the outside and juicy as can be on the inside. Not 'broasted' or fried under pressure like a lot of places do.....nothing like that cr*p that KFC tries to pass off as fried chicken!!! And most of the places that serve tavern fried chicken serve it on a plate with a slice or 2 of bread under the chicken to absorb the grease....which adds flavor to the bread also!!!

If your into health food and that sort of stuff, or your doctor is trying to help you control high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, or high triglycerides, or stuff like that....do NOT tell him/her that you like to eat tavern fried chicken!!! They have a tendency to freak-out on you!!! I KNOW!!! My Doc is very lenient and said "maybe" once a month....I said every 2 weeks....we compromised at once every 3 weeks....IF i behaved the rest of the time! So when he asks me if I've been behaving, I always can respond in the affirmative! Even though I'm usually lying through my teeth!!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #584
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Today I drove to the USPS to send out some end of year stuff; went to grocery store; filled bird feeders.

Am now sitting at PC with glass of wine and with cat on lap, life is good.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #585
Give me a forum ...

I signed up for Netflix one video at a time. But I also get unlimited downloads of movies to my PC, or if I buy a box, to my TV. But I just bought a 24" wide screen monitor, so I like it fine on my PC. I can sit on my couch and watch either the PC or my LCD HD TV. I think I will shop for a Blue Ray player.

My first movie was Romance and Cigarettes. Oddball musical, really good and finally very painful. James Gandolfini, Kate Winslett, Susan Sarandon, Steve Buscemi and other excellent actors.

Ha
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #586
Gone but not forgotten

I just returned from taking my Mother to my sister's house where she is now living . Her visit went well but I am churched out . We went three times so that should take care of me for a year or until her next visit . We were talking when she was here and I found out my Sister is charging my Mother $400 in rent plus my Mother who is 92 has chores to do . I was appalled. I can see asking my Mother for a contribution towards food but rent . Especially since my Sister and her husband live high on the hog . They have a brand new house in a golf community with a swimming pool granite counters ,etc. They both drive brand new cars and travel a lot . Plus the worst part is my Mother is freezing because when the weather turns nippy ( They are in Florida ) my sister will not turn on the heat . I'm not sure whether I should say something to my sister or butt out .
Old 12-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #587
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say something about the heat.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #588
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'm not sure whether I should say something to my sister or butt out .
Whoever complains may end up in charge...

What in the world would persuade a 92-year-old woman to do her chores? This sounds more like occupational therapy than load sharing.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #589
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Whoever complains may end up in charge...

What in the world would persuade a 92-year-old woman to do her chores? This sounds more like occupational therapy than load sharing.

Actualy it is a role reversal with my sister now playing the parent and my Mother the child who has chores to do . My mother has to set the table , clear the dishes and clean her room and bathroom . These are the exact chores we had as children .
Old 12-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #590
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Actualy it is a role reversal with my sister now playing the parent and my Mother the child who has chores to do . My mother has to set the table , clear the dishes and clean her room and bathroom . These are the exact chores we had as children .
If your Mom is required to do it and scolded as a child, then that is appalling. But if your Mom is in good health and enjoys the work, then I wouldn't say anything. My Mom is 91 and still does most everything there is to do around the house and enjoys it for the most part. Helps her say active. But most all old people need more heat than younger ones. So I would say something about that.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #591
Gone but not forgotten

My Mom is in good health but like older people she is often cold so I am going to speak to my sister about that and let my Mom and my sister work out the rest .
Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #592
Full time employment: Posting here.

It seems like your sister has some latent resentments she is working out with your mother.....not good. I would definitely talk to her about the heat and if the rest is working out....then let it be.
I am taking the day off from the gym and the life coach.....
I need to go grocery shopping and do a massage later tonight.
I also need to call two more leads to set up massage appointments....people from my old workplace..... I am sure the stress is defintely unbearable in corporate.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #593
Give me a forum ...

Got in 27 holes today. Pretty day too. Gonna be cooler tomorrow but plan to get in 18 more. Better do it now. Rain starts Friday and is in the forecast through next Tuesday.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #594
Give me a forum ...

Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #595

Enjoyed a(nother) very non-productive day today!!! Went for coffee with the gang this morning, and stopped by the bank to get some 'cash on hand' for January, then stopped by my old place of employment to visit with a buddy of mine that was working the holiday shift today.

Stopped and picked my Mom up, and we went to a really good BBQ joint that we've both been wanting to try....it was EXCELLENT!!!

Goofed around in my hobby room this afternoon for a couple of hours, then fed the birds. Then headed out for the tavern for $4.95 fried chicken special (1/2 clucker, fries, slaw). Now back home chillin' 'til midnight revelry begins!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #596
Give me a forum ...

not much "useful" stuff today.
made shrimp cocktail and celery filled with cream cheese and topped with halved green olives.
made Mexican style ground beef and onions in the crockpot, which will end up, very shortly, on some corn tortilla chips or italian sub bread, smothered in cheese.
ran the blender
2 hours 15 minutes to go...and I can kiss 2008 goodbye and say good riddance.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #597
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Cool. Al, you need to put your band on youtube.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #598
Moderator Emeritus

went ice skating on the lake behind my house. had a great time up until I fell through a patch of thin ice. Luckily, water was only 5' deep and I was only 10' from shore. It was too thin to pull myself up, so I broke the ice to shore, took off my skates and walked home in stocking feet. My leg was killing me so I went to the emergency room and found that I fractured my fibula and sprained my knee. Had a great new years eve.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #599
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yikes Ronstar...hope you are staying off it and getting some rest

I stayed up till 4am today rearranging things in my apartment and doing laundry.
Went to breakfast get together with Ray and had a great time. I also received a couple of great leads for Reiki, was asked for my card for massage, and got an offer for a job at a school as a teacher's aide with full benefits and summers off.
Came home, had a massage client for 2pm and will be giving my mom one (part of christmas present).
Relax and work on my visual board for 2009
Old 01-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #600
Give me a forum ...

Ron, what was the experience like? Did you feel like you might drown or get stuck, or was it pretty clear that you'd get out? What caused the leg to break??