Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #6001
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brewed 10 gallons of porter, raked some leaves, now making dinner. Busy day...

- Will Rogers
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #6002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since NASA gave up on Discovery yesterday and rescheduled the launch for Nov. 30, we headed home today. Drove the MH 500 miles - something I said I'd never do. But the drive was all Interstate with moderate traffic, so it wasn't bad.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #6003
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since NASA gave up on Discovery yesterday and rescheduled the launch for Nov. 30, we headed home today. Drove the MH 500 miles - something I said I'd never do. But the drive was all Interstate with moderate traffic, so it wasn't bad.
Are y'all gonna go back at the end of the month?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #6004
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry about the launch abort. My neighbors who are Belgium flew to FL to see the launch. They can only stay 6 months a year, but own a home here. Maybe they will try again on the 30th.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #6005

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Are y'all gonna go back at the end of the month?
No, we have house guests scheduled for that week. This looks like one that won't get marked off my list.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #6006

We're overnighting in a park next to a really neat RV. Earlier today we passed a motor home pulling a big boat and wondered what they did for a car once they got to their coastal destination. This RV is pulled with a pickup, so it may be the perfect set-up.

Note in the photo he's hooked up to water, electricity and, of course, cable TV...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2244.jpg (537.1 KB, 11 views)

Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #6007
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No, we have house guests scheduled for that week. This looks like one that won't get marked off my list.
Oh..I'm sorry.

Well, maybe you can replace this one with something even better.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #6008
Moderator Emeritus

Conducted our annual visit to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet for my wardrobe replenishment. Nine t-shirts for $30, followed by a nice long stroll and impressive people-watching. A few hours later at Goodwill I scored a pair of surf shorts ($2) and Dockers ($7). Those have both become somewhat difficult to find and I was afraid that I was going to have to go retail.

I told spouse that it would be difficult to figure out which nine old t-shirts to move to the rag bag. She says she's going to nominate a couple dozen candidates.

I'm going to spend the afternoon loading up the blog for the next week or two and tweaking its Facebook/Twitter integration. Thanks to "Karen" for your comment, and have you introduced yourself here yet?

Quote:
Was disqualified for jury duty because of my hearing..or lack thereof. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.
Your "listening" reputation probably preceded you anyway!

Around here, potential jurors who have worked with the police or who have police friends are regularly peremptorily challenged by the defense and even occasionally the prosecution. Maybe that hearing issue saved you a few hours/days.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #6009
Give me a forum ...

I am very pleased to report culture shock.

There are real stores besides the Walmart mecca back home, traffic lights in multiples which appear to be synchronized at times , some midday traffic, and real pizza and Chinese food of very good quality. Oh, and of course I MUST mention the monster fried scallops and clams.

I've been looking at the area with a very keen eye as we drive around. This area reminds me of my hometown just north of NYC. Developed yet still quaint in the residential neighborhoods. I have not mentioned the NY Yankees in Red Sox territory.

I am liking what I'm seeing while valiantly suppressing the "anywhere but East Nowhere" impulse.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #6010
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I tested all the old paper capacitors I had replaced and found, not surprisingly, that they leak like crazy, so it's a good thing I didn't just turn it on when I first got it.
The detonations/fires would have been impressive...

Now that it's working, how do you avoid further deterioration of some irreplacable component?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #6011
Give me a forum ...

Is it going to be a conversation piece, or are you going to actively use it? Is this hobby activity in preparation for your ER? Are you getting tired of law and want to get back into engineering, even just as a past-time?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #6012
Administrator

I have always thought of myself as an engineer who just happens to be practicing law at the moment (for the past 20 years). As I wind down and have more time, I find myself drawn back into the joy of just making something work properly. I can see this sort of activity taking up more time once I actually make the jump to retirement.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #6013
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oldest son is in town for a couple of days- great to see him. Just wish he could have brought their new grandson born in early October. He just happened to be in the area for work so it was a nice, unexpected visit. We drove up to the new house we just finished in West Virginia so he could inspect where his inheritance went! I think he liked it.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #6014
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Was disqualified for jury duty because of my hearing..or lack thereof. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

DH needs to schedule a colonoscopy in a few days, then when that's over he has to see his urologist because his PSA is elevated.

Meanwhile my momma continues to decline due to Alzheimer's.

...oh, and I'll 'celebrate' my 53rd birthday this month.

Good times...

I would have thought your previous affiliations as a volunteer would disqualify you as a juror.

If selected, I always told the defense attorney right off the bat that I was an engineer...who wants a logical person on a jury ?
NEXT....
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #6015
Give me a forum ...

I had a sliced banana covered with low fat key lime yogurt for breakfast. WOW!

Just hanging around the cousin's house today. We are invited to an impromptu BBQ this afternoon, Portuguese style. Our hosts are from Portugal so the meal is going to be authentic food. Yummy yummy yummy...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #6016
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I would have thought your previous affiliations as a volunteer would disqualify you as a juror.
Law enforcement is not disqualified for jury duty (at least where I live). However, I have been called three times before during my volunteer cop days and was never selected. This time (number four) was because of my hearing loss. Either they don't have headphones, not enough of them or they have a large pool of able bodied people.

Hmmm....never thought I'd be an unable bodied person...in my early 50's that is...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #6017
Give me a forum ...

I went to the gym today and did a "Zumba" class. What fun ! Latin music and basic dance moves that even klutz's like me can do .
Old 11-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #6018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I had a sliced banana covered with low fat key lime yogurt for breakfast. WOW!
Yum!! That sounds like a great breakfast.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #6019
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Smoked 4 cigs. And itīs only 8 pm!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #6020
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Smoked 4 cigs. And itīs only 8 pm!
I thought you were going to quit smoking?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Closed Thread