Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #6021
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol-- Kammies at Sunset Beach.

It was pretty dark as I was going down the sand into the water, and I saw a foot-long rock sticking out of the sand that looked like a good stepping stone. As I got closer to stepping on it I saw that it was actually a foot-long dead puffer fish that had washed ashore. From now on I think I'll stick to the smooth sandy parts of the beach.

Once I got out to the break, I got trashed & thrashed. I'm going to have to do this again on Wednesday or Thursday.

Had an interesting conversation today with the title company handling our mortgage refinance. PenFed e-mailed me Friday night that they wanted to close on Saturday 20 Nov, not Mon 29 Nov. The title company's response was along the lines of "Oh, really, now." Apparently PenFed still owes the title company a bunch of paperwork and a payoff statement. I helpfully provided the name & phone number of the PenFed employee who thinks this can happen so fast, and now I'm just going to hope that I don't get trampled by the dancing elephants...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #6022
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Spent the day in the French Quarter. Had beignets at Cafe du Mond this morning and a big bowl of gumbo for a late lunch. Spent some time watching the HBO series "Treme" being shot on Frenchman Street - complete with three takes and a lot of gunfire. The only actor I recognized was Miguel Ferrer.

The weather was absolutely beautiful.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #6023
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went for an early run with my dog Skye. Ms. Grasshopper went for a longer run with our dog Cooper. I was back early so I was priming some lumber for a pergola at the front door. I finished that and while in the painting mood went up to our 2nd story deck to do some touch up. I heard Ms. G talking loudly and assumed she was playing with the dogs. My mistake a 4 ft Diamondback rattlesnake was stretched in the sun in front of the gate into the yard. Nice I figured they had all hibernated by now. More painting, lunch, a snooze, coffee and cookies. More painting, dinner and a netflick. Northern Exposure. I was living in the Snoqualmie Pass around the time NE was being shot in Roslyn. I always get a little homesick for the emerald county, but I am a true Desertrat.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #6024
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This morning reminded me of a Monday morning work day. Got up at 5:30, fed the mutt and I ate a bowl of cereal. Took the mutt on a short walk and back home for a shower and shave. Left off the other S. Then got dressed for jury duty. Made it to the courthouse by 8:00am. Lord, I'm glad I don't have to go through that routine on a daily basis anymore. It was horrible. But, while the jurors were being interviewed the judge announced the case had been settled.(civil case) So my court day is over at 11:30 and just found out all other cases for the week have been settled.

So it's back to the golf course. Going to be a pretty week too.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #6025
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I was back early so I was priming some lumber for a pergola at the front door.
My mistake a 4 ft Diamondback rattlesnake was stretched in the sun in front of the gate into the yard.
He must be waiting for you to finish the pergola.

I'm looking for a good set of pergola plans myself-- will you be posting pictures?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #6026
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Spent the day in the French Quarter...
Florida, then this. Now that's a real trip! I am getting envious.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #6027
Recycles dryer sheets

Balanced the checkbook for the past two months.
Made some phone calls for the consulting gig.
Gin for a couple of hours at the CC.
Closed for golf today, but weather will be nice for the rest of the week
Picked up medications for the dogs.
Found ground chuck on sale and make a big pot of chili.

Man I have been sleeping well since the nights are cooler.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #6028
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I thought you were going to quit smoking?
Finance: It seems we BOTH thought wrong
Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #6029

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Florida, then this. Now that's a real trip! I am getting envious.
Don't get envious, get in your RV and go!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #6030
Give me a forum ...

Today is road trip day - back to East Nowhere we go, tra la la la la...

My 4 legged kids will be glad to see me after almost a week at "doggie camp". I have a really nice kennel to board them at. The owner takes very good care of her charges.

This is fun getting away on short trips. Holidays will be spent in MA also. I feel a good lifestyle change coming on. Holidays with a family.

I have a new little friend, the 12 year old daughter of Mr Boston's cousins's daughter. She's at the right age to have a mentor. I volunteer!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #6031
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have you been my Unclemick's old fish camp?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #6032
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If it would be so simple. Sigh...

My wife has commitment in family matters again. So, I also made some committment in my part-time w*rk. I guess I can do the work while on the road, but I always have problems mixing work and leisure. So, no RV'ing for a couple of months.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #6033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Have you been my Unclemick's old fish camp?
Close. We stayed at a LA state park on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain, 10 miles from Slidell.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #6034
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
He must be waiting for you to finish the pergola.

I'm looking for a good set of pergola plans myself-- will you be posting pictures?
I'm not starting construction until spring, but I am planning to build this one. It's in the July issue of Wood magazine. Just in case it strikes your fancy. Nice looking (IMO) and not too difficult.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #6035
Administrator

Today was the one year anniversary of my retirement. It's hard to believe! This year has sped by so quickly.

All in all, I did not want to post a separate thread about my retirement experiences thus far because I think everyone knows how happy I have been (I do post a lot about it). The market has moved upwards during the year, which is sure encouraging for a new retiree. My nest egg is bigger now than the day I retired, by about two years' living expenses. Even better, I have had 365 wonderful long days of retirement so far, and I know tomorrow will be the 366th. All this and it has cost less than nothing.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and reflections on retirement, which have guided me around any potential rough patches and helped me towards my present existence - - enjoying a retirement that is full of joy, wonder, and bliss.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #6036
Give me a forum ...

Wow, time flies when one is having fun!
But doesn't that also mean we are getting older quicker.

By the way, I like your new avatar, the real young W2R I believe. Right?

You took away the posting of a recent photo, but I think I can recall some resemblance.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #6037
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow, time flies when one is having fun!
But doesn't that also mean we are getting older quicker.

By the way, I like your new avatar, the real young W2R I believe. Right?
Yes, it does. How did I suddenly get to be 62? I was only 61 when I retired.

Thank you. Yes, it is a 1965 photo of me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #6038
Moderator Emeritus

Dropped spouse off at the airport for a six-day Mainland volunteering trip. I have the run of the house all to myself! So now I can get all that surfing dusting & floor-cleaning done whenever I feel like it...

USAA claims to be doing phone verification of policy-holder details. The poor guy at the call center had to spend the first five minutes of our conversation convincing me that this is not a phishing scam. Then he had to plead no contest to the charge of wasting our premiums by not letting me type in my answers to his website directly. And then he struck out when he offered to transfer me to their USAA financial-advisory service.

I think it's time to see what the GEICO Gecko can do for us. Or maybe I'm getting exactly the level of "servicing" that I'm paying for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm not starting construction until spring, but I am planning to build this one. It's in the July issue of Wood magazine. Just in case it strikes your fancy. Nice looking (IMO) and not too difficult.
Thanks, that looks perfect! We'd be putting it along our house's south wall and anchoring one side of the overhead beams to our roof. I like the way it can be roofed with photovoltaic panels, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you. Yes, it is a 1965 photo of me.
Imagine if we all had to change our avatars to our high-school yearbook photos... it'd be like Jennifer day all over again.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #6039
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Imagine if we all had to change our avatars to our high-school yearbook photos... it'd be like Jennifer day all over again.
I think I look better today than I did in '65.
------------------------------------------------------
Today I went to the new Kroger store in Beavercreek. Larger and prettier than old one.
Marble floors.
Was there for 45 minutes and my hips are seriously hurting. Another reminder of why retiring was so good.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #6040
Administrator

The Art Museum in City Park is free on Wednesdays. What fun! Sure beats w*rk.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread