Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #6041
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I think I look better today than I did in '65.
Boy...I wish I could say I look better now than I did in my teenage years...

Got the mail today and a letter on a financial seminar inquired whether or not I have the funds to retire. I thought, 'ehhh...a bit too late for this one', and tossed it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #6042
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=bbbamI;998853]Boy...I wish I could say I look better now than I did in my teenage years...

/QUOTE]

I am almost at my high school weight but somehow it is distributed differently and not in a flattering way !

Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #6043
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a fun check today. I am a volunteer Wildland Firefighter. Well I was out on our fire stations water tender backing up an engine task group for 2 days in June. Low and behold I got a check from the USFS for $540 bucks, no 1099 when under $600.

I am doing the happy dance
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #6044
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse will be on the Mainland until Monday, so today was "guy's errand day". I ran around swapping out library books, returning extra parts at the hardware store, checking out digital multimeters at Radio Shack, getting parts to fix a set of iPod speakers, and putting air in the tires on spouse's car. Tomorrow I'll be cleaning gutters and soldering connectors.

Now Scoobie is happily snorkeling through our tile floors while I'm finishing dinner. Tonight I'm going to a solar geek company's free presentation on new installations & equipment.

PenFed has just informed me that our local title company will come out to our house on a Saturday to close our refinance (anytime up to 7 PM). Even if there's not a UH football game that day, I'm pretty sure that our local title company would be heartily amused to learn of their new level of enhanced customer service. If I was a newbie refinancer I'd be feeling pretty whiplashed by now. As it is I just keep my focus on that low, low 3.625% interest rate while patiently asking PenFed to answer my questions or give me someone local to talk to.

Otherwise I'm ready to bring on the holiday. I don't need to leave the house again until Friday morning.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #6045
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Boy...I wish I could say I look better now than I did in my teenage years...
I don't know if I look better now or back then. Don't even have any old photo handy. I may not even have any. Well, let's just say I look "different" now than back then.

But I am sure, really really sure, that I felt a lot better then. Sigh...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #6046
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am almost at my high school weight but somehow it is distributed differently and not in a flattering way !
Yeah...I've read about your weight loss. Congratulations!

...and I hear ya about 'distributed stuff'....but with a little yankin' and pullin' I think we still might look purty. Besides...I've seen the lovely pic of you and your daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't know if I look better now or back then. Don't even have any old photo handy. I may not even have any. Well, let's just say I look "different" now than back then.

But I am sure, really really sure, that I felt a lot better then. Sigh...
Mmm, hmmm....I look at my old pics and think..'was that really me?'. As far as the feelin' goes, if it hurts that at least means it hasn't fallen off...
Old 11-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #6047
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah...I've read about your weight loss. Congratulations!

Besides...I've seen the lovely pic of you and your daughter.

Thanks ! That picture was at my top weight but it's still my favorite picture of My daughter & I . We have a great relationship ! Before she got married we used to travel together and I have some great memories of those times.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #6048
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I took the cat to the vet for his post-operative checkup. No blood was shed.

A representative from an organization I donate to called to make a lunch date. I assume they want them in my will. I've been considering such and I'm sure she will make it simple to do so.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #6049
Moderator Emeritus

Pruned a 50-foot line of palm trees with a pole saw and put the results in two 65-gallon green waste cans. In a day or two I'll finish the other 50-foot line.

Squatted and duck-walked around two stories worth of gutters with a shop vac. Caught my slipper on a PV panel and blew out the slipper's strap, but I have spares for that. Everything else on the roof seems fine. I noticed that our lychee tree seems to be trying to fruit again but I'm not going to get my hopes up. It's not supposed to do that for another 3-4 months.

After my shower and 800 mg of ibuprofen I decided to defer sniffing solder fumes to another day. Lots to write about for the blog and tweaking the Facebook/Twitter feeds.

Got a $30 electric bill today. Last month's photovoltaic weather really was nasty rainy and overcast...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #6050

Got a $30 electric bill today. Last month's photovoltaic weather really was nasty rainy and overcast...

I am the last house on the grid in my canyon. My neighbors are always trying to convert me to solar.

Thing is my average bill is $40, 2 months of central A/C shoots it up $100. So at $600
a year and a $20K conversion. I don't think so.

We do have over 300 sunny days a year, about 18 in. of rainfall.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #6051
Give me a forum ...

Skipped golf this morning. Played 4 straight days so ready for a break. So I took the mutt on our weekly hike at a local park. Beautiful day too. Finally looking like fall, but trees will be prettier in another week or two.

Grocery shopping for this afternoon and plan to head to the club tonight for a few med's and dinner. I hope someday I get used to this retirement gig.

From this morning...............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (1.03 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (854.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (1,022.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 029.jpg (1.22 MB, 2 views)
Old 11-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #6052
Give me a forum ...

Ducked out of work to go to one of NYC's heavily Asian areas (not Chinatown), which I have not been to in probably a dozen years. Unfortunately, I was there to attend a funeral. Never been to a Buddhist funeral before.

Tonight is allegedly date night (sans kids) with DW, but after spending in excess of 4 hours on public transportation and going to a funeral I cannot say I really am interested.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #6053
Give me a forum ...

Today was extremely productive...INSURANCE FIXING day.
It started with a visit to a different broker for the EXACT SAME insurance company and EXACT SAME coverages for my home, auto, and marine (boat) policies yielded some serious savings, thanks to Mr. Boston.
My previous broker did not enroll me in a cost savings program available to safe drivers with multiple policies with the same insurance company.
All coverages are identical. I checked every single line item.

Net savings on auto...$786 annually (conversion from 6 month policy to 12 month, paid in full upfront vs. monthly scheduled payments, and a HUGE safe driver discount)
Net savings on home...$87 annually, with possible another $180 for my security/fire alert system. TBD for that.
Cancelled an unnecessary* life insurance policy, savings on premiums...$1632 annually
Cashout of current life insurance policy cash surrender value...$1400

* I converted my FEGLI term life to a whole life policy after I resigned in 1Q07.
I have no dependents. Hellloooooo! What was I thinking ?

The day ended with making a team effort to make a big pan of lasagna. No cheese was spared.
Leftovers will be frozen in individual portions and eaten over the winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lasagna.jpg (38.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #6054
Moderator Emeritus

So far all I've done today is read websites and answer e-mail, and I probably have another 2-3 hours to go. Then I'll load up the blog with another week of posts.

However I can hear the rest of the world rushing by outside as they catch up on their errands before going back to work on Monday, so I don't mind being a hermit for a couple days. I have most of a Costco veggie pizza left over, too.

Impact Publications is printing up a new catalog and putting together new web pages for the book, as well as:
Quote:
We've developed a couple of press releases with photos of the covers... We'll also send you a copy of our new 14th edition of "The Military-to-Civilian Transition Guide." We took the liberty to feature you and your forthcoming book in a new chapter entitled "Benefits and Retirement." It should give us some good pre-publication publicity.
I'm looking forward to that read. Impact is still tentatively planning to put out the pocket guide in February and the book in March/April.

Spouse is coming home Monday. I'm gonna have to do some cleaning in there too somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I am the last house on the grid in my canyon. My neighbors are always trying to convert me to solar.
Thing is my average bill is $40, 2 months of central A/C shoots it up $100. So at $600 a year and a $20K conversion. I don't think so.
You're probably not paying 25 cents/KWHr with the prospect of another 20-30 years of inflation on the cost of hauling oil across 2500 miles of the Pacific Ocean, either...

But it's always easier to lower consumption than to raise production. We did it by sending a third of our family to a Mainland college and I think we're still ahead on the deal.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #6055
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today was extremely productive...

Net savings on auto...$786 annually

Net savings on home...$87 annually, with possible another $180 for my security/fire alert system.

...savings on premiums...$1632 annually

Cashout of current life insurance policy cash surrender value...$1400
Wow. In addition to a one-time windfall of $1,400, you reduced your annual budget by $2,500!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today was extremely productive...
That's an understatement. (Words I never thought I'd be typing in response to something you posted. )

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #6056
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
(Words I never thought I'd be typing in response to something you posted. )
Pot... kettle... black...

Old 11-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #6057

Stunning weather here in Pittsburgh all week. Must be the calm before the eventual storm...although predictions (for what they are worth) are for a mild winter. Yes! There is a God...especially after last year.
I had spent the last two days just doing stuff like walking the dog, gym, laundry, dusting, cooking, car wash, bill paying. I was starting to feel like a domestic drudge so I hied into Pittsburgh to see a movie "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" (Swedish) and some Middle Eastern food. It was a nice change from the same-old, same-old out here in the boring burbs, and I also hit that mecca of Pittsburgh foot fashion (Little's of Squirrel Hill) so there was not a more perfect day in my humble opinion. Rain and cooler weather moves in tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #6058
Administrator

Bought an old black Western Electric type 302 telephone at the flea market. They are sometimes called the "Lucy" phone, as that was the kind she had on the TV show. Brought it home and opened it up. Didn't see any obvious problems. Did see that it was built on January 2, 1949 by the 3rd shift and appears to have all original components. Buttoned it back up and, after a minor rewiring of the wall jack (removing the RJ-11 and hardwiring the phone cord), fired it up. It works great and sounds like a telephone should, with the proper whir of the dial when calling out and the loud clear ring of actual bells for incoming. The phone number in the center of the dial is LOcust 2-2396. I like it.

I think that tomorrow I will take it apart again and clean and polish it up so it shines like new inside and out.

Here is a picture of the type of phone:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250px-WesternElectric302.jpg (13.1 KB, 167 views)
Old 11-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #6059
Give me a forum ...

Took in 3 foster kittens. One looks just like the cat I lost recently.

But they're happy to be here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010168.JPG (422.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P10101652.JPG (424.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1010166.JPG (426.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Bought an old black Western Electric type 302 telephone at the flea market. They are sometimes called the "Lucy" phone, as that was the kind she had on the TV show. Brought it home and opened it up. Didn't see any obvious problems. Did see that it was built on January 2, 1949 by the 3rd shift and appears to have all original components. Buttoned it back up and, after a minor rewiring of the wall jack (removing the RJ-11 and hardwiring the phone cord), fired it up. It works great and sounds like a telephone should, with the proper whir of the dial when calling out and the loud clear ring of actual bells for incoming. The phone number in the center of the dial is LOcust 2-2396. I like it.

I think that tomorrow I will take it apart again and clean and polish it up so it shines like new inside and out.

Here is a picture of the type of phone:
I love old rotary phones. I remember our one phone from back in the day...a party line no less and still recall the number: ESsex 5-5697.

And Purron, your foster kitties are sweet. I had to log back in just to see their photos. I would love to have a cat but my son is allergic to them. He only visits about once a year, but I don't want him to think his Mama loves a cat more than I love him (by getting one, or two).