Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #6061
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Another warm sunny day, to change tonight; brought in the clothesline.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #6062
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It works great and sounds like a telephone should, with the proper whir of the dial when calling out and the loud clear ring of actual bells for incoming. The phone number in the center of the dial is LOcust 2-2396. I like it.
I think that tomorrow I will take it apart again and clean and polish it up so it shines like new inside and out.
Since you're able to pulse-dial now, around here you could drop the touch-tone dialing from your phone bill and save about $1.50/month...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #6063
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went to the local university. A group of Tibetan monks have been there this week creating a sand Mandala. Pretty cool, they put colored sand in brass cones, and rub a stick up and down on it to shake the sand put of the hole at the end. It gives them great control, but I tried it and it's really hard. So they create this absolutely incredible work of art, then on the last day they destroy it, demonstrating the impermanence of the universe. It was pretty unbelievable. I think we're going back tomorrow for the prayers and dancing, and the destruction of the mandala. Here's the process, and a couple of pictures I took. The Mandala Construction Process
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mandala Sand Art254.JPG (318.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Mandala Sand Art258.JPG (309.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Mandala Sand Art264.JPG (380.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #6064
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Since you're able to pulse-dial now, around here you could drop the touch-tone dialing from your phone bill and save about $1.50/month...
Man, I forgot about the difference between pulse and tone dialing, and the required hardware at the other end. I would have thought that by now pulse dialing would not be available at all.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #6065
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Man, I forgot about the difference between pulse and tone dialing, and the required hardware at the other end. I would have thought that by now pulse dialing would not be available at all.
My phone company will never get rid of pulse since they would loose the excuse to charge extra for tone.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #6066
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an old Ericsson in the kitchen that looks just like that. It must be about 3 or 4 pounds. It's become a relative pain to dial but it's a keeper.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #6067
Give me a forum ...

Brewed 10 gallons of stout and raked a mountain of leaves to the curb yesterday, so I am knid of beat today. So a slow morning. We will shortly be heading off to a Costco excursion and then do lunch at a snazzy Indian chaat house that is basically set up so you sit on a couch and eat off what amounts to a coffee table (with excellent food). Kids and DW have never been there, so it should be interesting to see how the kids like the place.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #6068
Moderator Emeritus

An hour or two of writing, then field day today before spouse comes home tomorrow. I'm on it. Here I go. Just a couple more posts.

I'd been sitting quietly in the livingroom for a while (our house was totally still) and then I went out the front door. As I stepped onto the front lanai I startled a family of four quail that patrol daily through our yard. Man those suckers can move fast when they want to.

Quote:
My parents-in-law routinely opt for pulse-dialing service. They switch their electronic phone to its "P" setting, "dial" their number on the keypad, connect to the voice-response system, and switch back to "T" to enter data. It makes my FIL happy to know that the bastids aren't screwing him out of $1.50/month by forcing him to use touch-tone.

One day our kid tried to use their phone to make a call and thought it was broken. She was fascinated by the history lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
... then on the last day they destroy it...
I've always wondered-- after they destroy the mandala do they use the mixed-up sand for landfill, or are the sharp-eyed apprentice monks assigned to separate the individual grains back into their component colors to supply the next mandala?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #6069
Give me a forum ...

Visited the city today; stunning weather (soon to change, alas)...noticed that, evidently, someone from the ER Forum had visited the Wish Tree in the Hirschhorn Sculpture Garden (you scribble a wish on a scrap of paper and hang it on the tree).

Amethyst
Hirschhorn Wish Tree
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #6070
Give me a forum ...

Hirschhorn Wish Tree

And here is the picture I meant to add to my previous post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010_1114Backyard0001.jpg (475.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #6071
Give me a forum ...

We want to get Amethyst's handwriting, which we will then submit to a handwriting expert along with the above posted photo.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #6072
Give me a forum ...

Heh heh heh! The handwriting is not all that different from mine...but isn't mine. If I wanted to play tricks on y'all, bet I could come up with something more inventive!

Amethyst
Old 11-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #6073
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My daughter told me she has an employee at work who has a granddaughter with an interesting first name. It is pronounced "Absidee" and is spelled Abcde.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #6074
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've always wondered-- after they destroy the mandala do they use the mixed-up sand for landfill, or are the sharp-eyed apprentice monks assigned to separate the individual grains back into their component colors to supply the next mandala?
. I did go to the dismantling ceremony today. Pretty cool. They had a ceremony where they consecrated/blessed the mandala. The chanting was totally wild. One monk did something with his voice that made him sound like a human didgeridoo. Anyway, after they finished the ceremony they took the mandala apart, signifying the impermanence of everything. Half the sand was put into little baggies and given to the onlookers as a blessing. The other half they took to the river and poured it in (more ceremony, of course). This is supposed to move the blessing through the land, and into the clouds and all over the world. Nice concept.

As far as the sharp eyed young monks, I think they make them paint the individual grains for the next mandala.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #6075
Give me a forum ...

Today I perfected the fine art of drinking beer and shooting the breeze with some really good folks. Mr Boston and I had a great time starting with coffee, moving on to draft beer, bought and munched out on XXSharp NY cheddar cheese and crackers, and watched football with vets of all ages and service records.

Ordered a pepperoni pizza "to go" at a local mom-n-pop pizza place to stimulate the local economy.

Life is good.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #6076
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My daughter told me she has an employee at work who has a granddaughter with an interesting first name. It is pronounced "Absidee" and is spelled Abcde.
This reminded me of EBCDIC ( /ˈɛbsɨdɪk/), a computer coding standard that was edged out by ASCII.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #6077
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
This reminded me of EBCDIC ( /ˈɛbsɨdɪk/), a computer coding standard that was edged out by ASCII.
And I recall trying to make programs talk both languages.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #6078
Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of Woody Allen pronouncing the typewriter keyboard:

Quertyuiop -querty-yu-i-op
Asdefghjkl -Asdefigajikkle
zxvbnm -Zixvabunum

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #6079
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If I wanted to play tricks on y'all...
Please do! We love tricks.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #6080
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Here is a picture of the type of phone:
Had a wall version (wired), one desk version and a newer version with the black painted dial on sale in my parent's estate sale in 2009. It was amazing the interest shown but I sold them to a former Bell employee.

REdfern 3-1087