Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #6121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Today I considered 'negotiations' with DH as he believes playing/composing music and fiddling around with the motorcycle are considered household chores.
You mean playing with Photoshop and the motorcycle are not chores? This is an alien concept....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #6122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I looked for a replacement for my old pressing comb, but without success. The new model I bought last month doesn't get hot enough to get my hair straight. The one in the store today did not feel like it got much hotter (if at all) than the one I bought, so I didn't buy it either. Nothing promising on Amazon. What to do, what to do? My mom's hairdresser is suggesting a hair iron, but I'm totally skeptical. The store had one of the brand she assured my mom would do the trick (though she's only done my hair once, and that was more than ten years ago)—its top setting is 50 degrees lower than the comb I checked out, and barely hotter than the totally inadequate one I bought. Does anyone here use an iron on their hair? ISTM the hair would have to be nearly straight already for an iron to be at all effective.
I don't use an iron on my hair, but my suggestion is to go to your Mom's hairdresser and have her straighten your hair. Show her a picture of what you want it to look like. If she can do it with the iron she recommended, then you can buy the same one and know it will work. She probably works with more kinds of hair every day than any of us could even dream of, and she probably has some other tips that would help too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #6123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I looked for a replacement for my old pressing comb, but without success. The new model I bought last month doesn't get hot enough to get my hair straight. The one in the store today did not feel like it got much hotter (if at all) than the one I bought, so I didn't buy it either. Nothing promising on Amazon. What to do, what to do? My mom's hairdresser is suggesting a hair iron, but I'm totally skeptical. The store had one of the brand she assured my mom would do the trick (though she's only done my hair once, and that was more than ten years ago)—its top setting is 50 degrees lower than the comb I checked out, and barely hotter than the totally inadequate one I bought. Does anyone here use an iron on their hair? ISTM the hair would have to be nearly straight already for an iron to be at all effective.
My LBYM solution would be either:
1. Learn to like your curls or
2. Shave your head.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #6124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Normally I'd say, 'send it to me!'...but not now. I have a freezer full of food...including two turkeys that I bought at 29 cents a pound on two different occasions.
Turkey Wars of 2010.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #6125
Administrator

Quote:
My young wife, who is a high school teacher, says that all her girls use the brand called Chi.

P.S. I did a little poking around and found this site, which might be of some assistance to you.
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/foru...-saved-my-hair
Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #6126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You mean playing with Photoshop and the motorcycle are not chores? This is an alien concept....
Well, maybe it is for you...just be sure if the missus has a fryin' pan in her hand, she's fixin' breakfast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Turkey Wars of 2010.
I'm thinkin' of settin' up a bowling alley in my hallway...
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #6127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm thinkin' of settin' up a bowling alley in my hallway...
Aw. Just mellow out:

Old 11-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #6128

DW and I had lunch at one of our favorite Mexican places with a buy one get one free coupon. They also have a promotion and are giving away a $5 gift card (that we applied to today's meal) when you purchase a $25 gift card (which we will use in the future with the rest of our coupons). So the net outlay for two huge enchilada dinners plus $3 tip today was $5.80.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #6129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Took DW to lunch at our favorite mom & pop Chinese restaurant, where we have been regulars since they opened 11 years ago. I drove my pickup so we could drop off a load of junk goodies to Goodwill on the way.

When the restaurant owners noticed we were in the truck they got excited and asked for a favor. Seems they'd just purchased a 55" HDTV for the restaurant and needed a way to pick it up. The place they purchased it from - located half a mile down the road - wanted $60 to deliver it which they thought was outrageous. It took 15 minutes drive "pop" down the street, load up the TV, and help him get it into the restaurant. (I learned he's a huge Cowboys and Spurs fan and thinks the TV will improve his morale help bring in customers.) He said he'd hired someone to mount it for him. I asked when it was scheduled and with a big grin he said, "He should be here in a few minutes!"

Lunch, along with a couple of extra orders of take home, was free.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #6130
Give me a forum ...

I am watching my homeland lose its sovereignty: RT Ireland's National Television and Radio Broadcaster
Old 11-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #6131
Gone but not forgotten

We went to see " Wall Street " The money never sleeps . It had finally come to our discount movie theater so tickets are $2.00 . Good movie with a few slow spots but I really enjoyed it . We then went to a local pub for a drink and some appetizers . Tomorrow is packing day for our Philadelphia trip.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #6132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Took DW to lunch at our favorite mom & pop Chinese restaurant, where we have been regulars since they opened 11 years ago. I drove my pickup so we could drop off a load of junk goodies to Goodwill on the way.

When the restaurant owners noticed we were the truck they got excited and asked for a favor. Seems they'd just purchased a 55" HDTV for the restaurant and needed a way to pick it up. The place they purchased it from - located half a mile down the road - wanted $60 to deliver it which they thought was outrageous. It took 15 minutes drive "pop" down the street, load up the TV, and help him get it into the restaurant. (I learned he's a huge Cowboys and Spurs fan and thinks the TV will improve his morale help bring in customers.) He said he'd hired someone to mount it for him. I asked when it was scheduled and with a big grin he said, "He should be here in a few minutes!"

What a great story! It sure brought a smile to my face.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #6133

Loving all these deals people are sharing. It's great as always to be around like-minded folks!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 11-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #6134
Moderator Emeritus

I've been growing more muscle for the qualifiers of our black belt test. During this morning's workout I finally hit 100 pushups in two minutes. Now if I can keep that up for another week I'll be ready to try it out at the dojang. After that I can revert to surfing maintenance pushups on the StrengthBuilder while I shift focus to getting to 100 situps in two minutes.

Did a lot of writing today. Thanks to everyone who's visited the book's blog! Traffic's been building steadily-- last week had over 250 hits, including a 101-hit day. Apparently I need to write more about medical/dental issues. The week after Thanksgiving will have posts about the Reserves and National Guard, so I'll add paragraphs about Tricare Reserve Select and Tricare Retired Reserve.

TurboTax 2010 is out this week, so I downloaded a copy that I'll start filling out for a Roth IRA conversion. That probably should get done in the next two weeks-- before everyone rushes their brokerages.

Good-looking surf forecast tomorrow & Tuesday. I'm thinking North Shore at Pua'ena or Chun's Reef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When the restaurant owners noticed we were in the truck they got excited and asked for a favor.
So what I'm reading here is "Will work for food"?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #6135

I drove into Pittsburgh for a matinee performance of "Lucia di Lammermoor". I liked it, but I can't say it is destined to be a favorite (I'm a newcomer to opera and I prefer the more popular ones...kinda like how someone new to wine likes the light sweet ones). I also prefer it when everyone doesn't die. "Lucia" is a plum for a soprano, though. From what I have read, Joan Sutherland owned the role, followed by Callas.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #6136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Good-looking surf forecast tomorrow & Tuesday. I'm thinking North Shore at Pua'ena or Chun's Reef.
I love it when you tell us where you surf. Most of the places you have named in this post and others, are places I had long forgotten - - places where one of my surfer boyfriends used to surf back in the 1960's. Then he broke his leg wiping out on a huge wave at Waimea which put an end to his surfing for a while. Served him right for surfing drunk!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #6137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Turkey Wars of 2010.
Never "play chicken" with the Bird (with proper nods to haha for the nickname )
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #6138
Give me a forum ...

We went to the Legion today for NASCAR (sorry kids ) and Patriots football. Pats won . Drank beer, ate nachos, saw lots of local friends, and ended up spending almost 8 hours there. Never got drunk, just a nice mellow buzz.
Watching the NY Giants and Philly Eagles right now. Well, at least one of us is seriously watching the game. Go spandex!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #6139
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Then he broke his leg wiping out on a huge wave at Waimea which put an end to his surfing for a while. Served him right for surfing drunk!
Whoa-- he's lucky he found the surface.

IIRC the beach wasn't guarded back then. Good thing because one of the Aikau brothers would've dragged him out of the water... and then beat the crap out of him.

You might not have heard that there's a bypass highway around Haleiwa now, so you can come right down the hill and buzz by the back of the town at 50 MPH. It rejoins Kam Hwy right by Haleiwa Beach Park and Pua'ena. I like Pua'ena a lot since it's so convenient, but it doesn't come up very well in the early mornings. I'm still experimenting with the time and the conditions, and it only takes a few minutes to check it out.

I haven't surfed Chun's before, and it's usually pretty crowded, but I want to take a look. It's close to Pua'ena and the road is still pretty clear.

They're doing a lot of roadwork up by Pupukea, so anything beyond that (like Sunset & Kammies) is taking a chance with traffic.

How's that for a short tour?: Franko's Maps

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #6140
Give me a forum ...

Wow, there have been a lot of changes! I hate to even think how crowded the North Shore must be by now. (shudder) It was pretty crowded when the big waves were breaking at Waimea or Sunset back in the 60's.

His friends and other surfers who knew him up there rescued him and pulled him out. No more surfing that winter.

Closed Thread