Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #6221
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Woke up with interesting new pain.
Ran errands including shopping for trip. I hate shopping.
Laundry.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #6222
Recycles dryer sheets

Three sets of tennis then 18 holes of golf.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #6223
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Woke up with interesting new pain.
Ran errands including shopping for trip. I hate shopping.
Laundry.
I know that the shopping is a real pain for you, but I bet you will look great with all that new snazzy stuff.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #6224
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did a year end review of my portfolio to see what funds can be consolidated and which can be left alone. I still have a few stragglers (under $5K each) that need to be consolidated, using my carryover TLH from last year to offset any potential cap gains. Destination: pssst VWINX

Cleaned up the kitchen sink and emptied the dishwasher while listening to Christmas songs on the radio, and did my holiday shopping online I am getting ready to make some homemade applesauce using the last 5 apples from a big bag bought during the fall harvest.
If my ambition level holds steady, I may have to get the tabletop tree and ornaments out of the attic and get going on decorating inside. Maybe...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #6225
Give me a forum ...

I'm keepin' my eye out for a possum today. I saw one in my backyard late last night. I'm used to fire ants, chiggers, birds, snakes, frogs and rabbits....but not one of those guys...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #6226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm keepin' my eye out for a possum today. I saw one in my backyard late last night. I'm used to fire ants, chiggers, birds, snakes, frogs and rabbits....but not one of those guys...
But they are so cute.

Pogo.JPG
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #6227
Gone but not forgotten

Tried to donate blood. Seem to be running a fever. Hope I'm not coming down with something.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #6228
Give me a forum ...

Ooops...almost forgot

I finally got a decent Shiitake harvest from my mushroom growing dome.

Look at what happened while I was away in MA for turkey day.
"The Shiitake That Ate East Nowhere"

It grew and filled up half of the dome, hence the curved shape and rippled edges.
It was so big , I almost gave it a name.
It was so mature it dropped fresh spores onto the growth block, so I will get a bonus crop.

It's inevitable fate was to the griddle with olive oil and then used on homemade pizza made by Mr Boston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monstershiitaketop.jpg (23.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg monstershiitakebottom.jpg (28.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg monstershiitakefry.jpg (29.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #6229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Nords I feel the pain. I will be qualifying for my Wildlands Firefighter Red Card before the EOY. To be on the fireline I have to pass the arduous pack test. I have passed every year, and this year I turn 60. Last year I did the test in 43 mins.

Fitness Requirement Test &nbspescription

ARDUOUS Pack Test 3-mile hike with 45-lb. pack in 45 min.
How hilly is the course, and how rough is the footing? 15' miles with 45# up is tough enough even on the flat; really a big deal on hills!

Ha
Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #6230
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
You probably won't see it during the day - they're primarily nocturnal. They are one on the ugliest critters out there.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #6231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
You probably won't see it during the day - they're primarily nocturnal.
Yeah...that fact occurred to me late this afternoon. I'm still gonna be on the watch out for a while 'cause it's a big 'un and has a lot of teeth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
They are one on the ugliest critters out there.
A face only a momma could love...
Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #6232
Give me a forum ...

I took a few minutes to enjoy this:

National Geographic's Photography Contest 2010

An Example:

Thunderstorm.JPG
Old 12-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #6233
Give me a forum ...

We have a winter snow storm warning until Tue 7PM. Time to put snow tires on, prep the snowblower. Off to the garage. Brooms and snow shovels by the doors, check. Wife in kitchen making chili, check.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #6234
Give me a forum ...

Rearranged vehicles in the driveway and cleared out room in the garage to park 1 car out of the way of the snowplowing guy we hired.
My 92 Honda is parked in the yard just in case we need it over the winter. I was going to sell it, but it will serve as a good winter rat in case 1 of our cars needs major repairs. Cost to keep car registered, inspected and insured is less than $300 per year.

Forecast is snow, snow, snow, snow, and more snow. The Ontario lake effect machine is cranked right up.
http://www.9wsyr.com/content/weather/livedoppler9.aspx
Yellow is heaviest snowfall, green is medium, blue is lighter.

Tonight's culinary delight is French Canadian meat pie, a childhood favorite of Mr Boston. Ground pork, ground beef, mashed potatoes, chopped sweet white onion, Bell's seasoning, all mixed together and cooked in a double pastry. Mmmmmm....
Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #6235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Tonight's culinary delight is French Canadian meat pie, a childhood favorite of Mr Boston. Ground pork, ground beef, mashed potatoes, chopped sweet white onion, Bell's seasoning, all mixed together and cooked in a double pastry. Mmmmmm....
Oh, that sounds good! My winter comfort food, which I ate last night, is a mixture of sauteéd hamburger, onions, garlic, and muchrooms, covered in layers by sauteéd spinach, and some tomato sauce, then grated Emmentaler or Gruyére, then baked 30 minutes or so.

Aiiii!

Ha
Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #6236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You mean.....Tourtière!

French Canadian Tourtiere Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Recette Tourtière du Lac St-Jean : Viande sur Coup de Pouce

And don't forget the gravy! / N'oubliez pas le bouillon!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #6237
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Rearranged vehicles in the driveway and cleared out room in the garage to park 1 car out of the way of the snowplowing guy we hired.
My 92 Honda is parked in the yard just in case we need it over the winter. I was going to sell it, but it will serve as a good winter rat in case 1 of our cars needs major repairs. Cost to keep car registered, inspected and insured is less than $300 per year.

Forecast is snow, snow, snow, snow, and more snow. The Ontario lake effect machine is cranked right up.
Central New York Loop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR
Yellow is heaviest snowfall, green is medium, blue is lighter.

I recall lake effect. Not too much in the Hudson Valley, but great fun in Potsdam NY.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #6238
Give me a forum ...

Finished mounting and wiring a solar panel for my motor home. It's just a small 10W panel the size of a small laptop. Its purpose is to keep the batteries in the charged state when the RV is parked, without the need for an extension cord to an AC outlet.

Then, I logged in to various accounts that were not accessible to Quicken to update my portfolio. It has recovered and surpassed the last high it set on 11/08. And that is even after losing some of my highest-beta stocks due to covered calls. Darn! Note that I never, ever said "wh**".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #6239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You mean.....Tourtière!

French Canadian Tourtiere Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Recette Tourtière du Lac St-Jean : Viande sur Coup de Pouce

And don't forget the gravy! / N'oubliez pas le bouillon!
BINGO!

Mix is made, just waiting for the pie crusts to defrost. I will make up some brown mushroom gravy to put over it on the plate.

UPDATE: If you are on a diet, do NOT look at this post.
I only had 1/8 of the pie. Somebody else had 2 helpings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tortiere.jpg (21.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #6240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I recall lake effect. Not too much in the Hudson Valley, but great fun in Potsdam NY.
Cortland NY is getting clobbered. We only had 3 inches here. Whew!