Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #6241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Cortland NY is getting clobbered. We only had 3 inches here. Whew!
Not if a man measured it....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #6242
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Q: Why don't women make good carpenters?

A: Because all our lives we were told this (hold thumb and index finger 3 inches apart) is 6 inches.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #6243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #6244
Give me a forum ...

Today I just about finished my Christmas shopping . Tomorrow we go tree shopping and despite having an awful head cold I have managed to decorate the house . I feel like the Christmas Grinch !
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #6245
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse spent the entire day at the USS ARIZONA Memorial visitor's center showing people where to park, chatting with the survivors and other WWII veterans, sorting out the seating charts, and generally helping to reduce the confusion level. All the electronic gear showed up on time for the theaters and was installed & tweaked without (too much more) drama or crisis. Jake Shimabukuro performed along with some hula halau. Later that afternoon she got a free narrated boat tour around Ford Island, enjoying old memories of a couple commands there where we used to work.

I stayed home bored, lonely, and unfulfilled loading up next week's blog posts, working on pushups/situps, cleaning/vacuuming, and paying the bills. Now that I have every possible excuse thing else in the house taken care of I guess it's time to start the taxes and figure out a Roth IRA conversion. Here I go. Just a couple more threads.

Quote:
Q: Why don't women make good carpenters?
A: Because all our lives we were told this (hold thumb and index finger 3 inches apart) is 6 inches.
I'm still confused about the dimensions... are we talking inner diameter or outer diameter?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #6246
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Tonight's culinary delight is French Canadian meat pie, a childhood favorite of Mr Boston. Ground pork, ground beef, mashed potatoes, chopped sweet white onion, Bell's seasoning, all mixed together and cooked in a double pastry. Mmmmmm....
same recipe that enjoyed eating as a child and it is what we eat on Christmas Eve. My sister can't get Bell's seasoning where she lives so I send her a little box each Christmas. Just in case you didn't get enough fat we used to eat it with gravy.

Today we read the paper and suddenly were overwhelmed with the ads and how much junk there is to buy. Spend the day at home reading library books, working on painting a room and some cleaning while the snowstorm raged outside. So glad we don't have to go anywhere in the morning.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #6247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I took a few minutes to enjoy this:

National Geographic's Photography Contest 2010

An Example:

Attachment 10654
Thanks Ron, those are some fantastic pictures.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #6248
Give me a forum ...

Woke up at 3:30 AM. Watching Haunted History and being bombarded with commercials about loans for legal costs up front before the lawsuit is settled and carrying around too much fecal weight .

Haunted History is featuring several NY haunted sites. Neat stuff!

the ghosts of Beardslee Castle

Dickey Lee: Laurie (Strange Things Happen) | DeeJay's Music Memories

The lake effect snow machine is still cranking along...
Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #6249
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went visiting friends and family the last couple of days. The ground is white this morning. About an inch. Streamers from lake Huron are not quite reaching me. Friends in Grand Bend and London have 18 inches in the last 24 hours. Massive snow to the west, south and east of me. Chicken water is frozen. Rooster has never seen snow before. Funny.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #6250
Recycles dryer sheets

I was looking for a different way to cook a roast (new enameled cast iron dutch oven). My go to research site is google. Wow, I clicked on a recipe and immediately got all kinds of warnings from my computer about infected site. Yikes! Accepted the option to remove it to the vault. Hmmm, how about another recipe...got the same threat warnings again...sent it to the vault. Not to be deterred, I clicked on another recipe...dang!...got the same set of threat warnings yet again...sent it to the vault. These were all different websites. I ran AVG's entire computer scan...no threats detected. I am currently running Malwarebytes most comprehensive scan. Guess I'll just use an old recipe.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #6251
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am in Red Bay, AL at the Tiffin Motorhome Service Center for my last warranty visit. I had some issues that needed to be looked at and fixed and they found another one I did not know I had so I am here for another couple of weeks.

Today, I got up at 5:30AM to get me and the coach ready to go back in the bodyshop for final touchups to the repairs painted last week. After that I moved into the Welding bay to have them adjust my steps to create more room for the front wheel to turn without rubbing on them. Then I went to Bay Diesel for chassis maintenance--chassis lube, generator oil change, filter, antifreeze, engine oil, filter, hydrolic fluid replacement and both filters, brake check, wheel bearing check, air system dryers serviced, general engine and tranny check, wheel hubs etc etc.

I vacuumed and dusted the coach interior and cleaned out some cabinets that have been cluttered for a while. I hung up two new towel racks, polished the counter tops and the cabinets.

I also did some more work on DW's website and am continuing to teach myself about html, php, css and Joomla.

Other than that it has been a boring day at the Service Center.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #6252
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Then I went to Bay Diesel for chassis maintenance--chassis lube, generator oil change, filter, antifreeze, engine oil, filter, hydrolic fluid replacement and both filters, brake check, wheel bearing check, air system dryers serviced, general engine and tranny check, wheel hubs etc etc.
Let me guess...$1,200?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #6253

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Let me guess...$1,200?
In that ballpark. That included all filters including the air filter, two hydrolic filters, two fuel filters, an air dryer cartridge, genset air and oil filter, oil, antifreeze and a good inspection of the whole underside of the coach, which I can't get to.

They were actually cheaper than the place I use in Las Vegas (what isn't cheaper than anything in Las Vegas?).

I thought about doing some of this myself but I don't really have the means to deal with 5 gallons of oil and the other fluids and would rather have the "experts" do it. To me is is worth the price once a year or so. This was actually my 36 month; 30k mile service so it included more stuff that the usual annual one.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #6254

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

I thought about doing some of this myself but...
Yep, I have the truck quick-lube folks do mine. I did the air filter change myself and it was a week before I could stand up straight without my back screaming at me. There are some things I have the knowledge and the theoretical ability to do - but not the will.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #6255
Give me a forum ...

That's one bad set of dentures!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #6256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Is there a rabbit under that pancake?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #6257
Give me a forum ...

Someone needs to start a thread to compare the performance of different denture cleansers.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #6258

For the first time in recent memory we sent out the Christmas cards in a timely manner. Technology is great when it works: Took a picture of us sitting on the hearth in front of the fireplace with a fire going, tweaked it with Photoshop (DW left her glasses on the hearth so i took those out) uploaded to the local drugstore having a one-day 25% off sale and picked them up the next day.

Cost per card with envelopes was just under 65 cents. DW took them to the PO and got 'em mailed off.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #6259
Give me a forum ...

After hanging off a ladder for an hour and a half stripping wallpaper off walls of a room with 10' ceilings, I called it quits before I fell and broke my neck.

DH will have to finish what I can't reach, or I'll hire someone to finish it, or maybe I'll just burn the house down.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #6260

Left w*rk early yesterday and went grocery shopping - saved a mere $111 (ended up spending $220) by researching which store was having sales on things on my list and had cupons for. Stocked up on coffee that was on sale in addition to non-weekly purchases (Q-tips, vitamins, etc.) Not a super-power coupon user, but pay attention somewhat! I was pleased!