Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #6301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Lately I've been applying that same function to a few "content-free" posters...
Uh oh, that means I'm on your ignore list. Man...you won't be able to read what I did today. That's a bummer!

So anyway, last night I put bait in the live animal trap to ummm, trap a possum. Kiwi and cat food...yummy.

This morning I had something in the trap...a cat. He was washing his face, undisturbed by the fact he was locked in a cage. I opened the latch; he walked out, looked at me and burped...then walked away.

Ahhhh well.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #6302
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Kiwi and cat food...yummy.

Ahhhh well.
We coated the cat food with peanut butter and it worked .

Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #6303
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Uh oh, that means I'm on your ignore list. Man...you won't be able to read what I did today. That's a bummer!

So anyway, last night I put bait in the live animal trap to ummm, trap a possum. Kiwi and cat food...yummy.

This morning I had something in the trap...a cat. He was washing his face, undisturbed by the fact he was locked in a cage. I opened the latch; he walked out, looked at me and burped...then walked away.

Ahhhh well.
You did better than I did. I caught a smelly black critter with a white stripe.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #6304
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We coated the cat food with peanut butter and it worked .
Well...I put out moist food...that might be a little difficult to smear peanut butter on. Ahhh...guess I'll have to go to the grocery store again for some homemade possum chow ingredients.

Thanks for the tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
You did better than I did. I caught a smelly black critter with a white stripe.
Ahhhhh.....

Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #6305
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
Our daughter called this morning from college needing neither money nor paperwork-- just an hour of hearing our voices advice. She's been studying for finals for six straight days, the calculus final didn't go as well as she hoped, and she's contemplating the one-two punch of physics & chemistry early next week. She'll work it out. The NROTC lieutenants are all over her about the wonders of "command at sea" and "nuclear submarines". She'll also be home in just 6.5 days for some long-overdue surfing, so I'm looking forward to a number of interesting conversations...
Hi Nords, so what was the advice you gave her? And what's her major and does she know what she wants to do with it? Just curious (we have a 26 year old college son in college too who's interested in advertising, a subject which I know nothing about).
Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #6306
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent the last two days pricing DH's comic collection using an online source.

I've been threatening to throw out the boxes for YEARS because I'm tired of finding a place to store them every time we move.

Turns out he has some pretty valuable comics. His entire collection is worth about $3k retail....looks like I won't be throwing out those boxes after all!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #6307
Give me a forum ...

Listening to "Soundscapes" on digital cable radio channel. Soundscapes is a wonderful way to start the day - nice peaceful instrumental music versus the Christmas pop music clogging all of the local radio stations. I enjoy Christmas music but after a week of it nonstop....

Mr Boston is gone for coffee and errands, so I can quickly wrap his presents. Heeheehee

Today is front window delivery day, with tomorrow AM scheduled for the installation. I am replacing a 1977 vintage drafty bow window (with 2 casement windows) with a more thermally efficient flat picture window flanked by 2 double hung windows. I will finally be able to put a window AC unit into the living room for the 1 week of summer in July .
My contractor has no fear of the cold, predicted to be a balmy 33F with 5-10 mph windspeed. I will have the coffee pot running at full tilt for the guys, maybe even some hot soup for when they are done. I treat my contractors right.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #6308
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Turns out he has some pretty valuable comics. His entire collection is worth about $3k retail....looks like I won't be throwing out those boxes after all!
You should get $3k one at a time. But if you want the whole lots sold, a dealer should give you $1.5k. I just sold my brothers collection last year.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #6309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Spent the last two days pricing DH's comic collection using an online source.

I've been threatening to throw out the boxes for YEARS because I'm tired of finding a place to store them every time we move.

I sold Gary's collection on ebay last year . Depending on the comics I sold them separately or in groups of four . Take lots of pictures to document the condition and list any flaws carefully .
Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #6310

We're going to pack them all back up and store them. The comic book market is really down right now and I've lived with them for 20 years, so why not a bit longer.

Almost all of his comics are 1984/1985. From the research I've done comics that are +30 years old go up further in value so back to the closet they go.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #6311
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Hi Nords, so what was the advice you gave her?
"Study your ass off hard, young padawan."

She's starting to clutch on chem exams, so we talked through all the alternatives. Understanding the "worst case" always helps her settle down, stop overthinking the question, and go for partial credit.

She worked hard to get there. NROTC and Rice will work hard to keep her there, even if it's with a C+ GPA. I think she'd rather have a 2.50 there than a 4.00 at Leeward Community College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
And what's her major and does she know what she wants to do with it?
Civil/environmental engineering, with which skills she's someday going to single-handedly overhaul Hawaii's infrastructure. But first she needs to make her decision about NROTC and her Navy choices. I've had some more thoughts on her surprising evolving thoughts here:
"Command at sea"

It's all her choice, and we've been through the decision process before with the USNA vs NROTC debate. We'll make sure she has full disclosure and then step back to see what she decides to do with it. That way when she realizes what a horrible mistake she's made, she'll understand that it's all her fault.

She's also noticed that she's signed up for 156 credit hours over the four-year program (which includes 24 credits of NROTC topics), and that a number of upperclass have already switched to majors like "philosophy" and "Asian studies". She is not amused.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #6312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
It's all her choice, and we've been through the decision process before with the USNA vs NROTC debate. We'll make sure she has full disclosure and then step back to see what she decides to do with it. That way when she realizes what a horrible mistake she's made, she'll understand that it's all her fault. ...
Very wise.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #6313

Well this isn't "life after FIRE" (I wish)...but it is what I did today: resigned from one job (toxic co-worker environment) and agreed to another to start in January. Hopefully I'm not jumping from the fire-pan into the fire...but I just couldn't stay in the fire-pan any longer!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 12-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #6314
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
but I just couldn't stay in the fire-pan any longer!
Sometimes a new frying pan does wonders for your outlook. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #6315
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well this isn't "life after FIRE" (I wish)...but it is what I did today: resigned from one job (toxic co-worker environment) and agreed to another to start in January. Hopefully I'm not jumping from the fire-pan into the fire...but I just couldn't stay in the fire-pan any longer!
Good for you!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #6316
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well this isn't "life after FIRE"
That's a Rule? Who dreamt that up?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #6317

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
That's a Rule? Who dreamt that up?
Well, that's the title of this forum. I know it doesn't make any difference. I was a bit tipsy after celebrating my resignation with DH last night, so who knows why I took note of that...LOL...I was SUI...surfing under the influence.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #6318

Getting more and more annoyed with my faulty and unrelaiable PC. It has been misbehaving for at least a week. A thunderbolt in the vicinity has been the cause and plenty of casualties. Among PCs, that is.
Mine at the bottom of the waiting list of repairees
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #6319

Quote:
I was a bit tipsy after celebrating my resignation with DH last night, so who knows why I took note of that...LOL...I was SUI...surfing under the influence.
I've got to remember that one.
I've made post a time or two that I had to go back and apologize for. Or at least I thought I might need to.
Not sure why that stuff makes me crazy.
My liver keeps asking me too.
But I guess that's why I pay good money for it.
Steve
Old 12-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #6320

Nursing myself as I have a cold. Did Christmas cards, played on the computer too long. Did put up a third motion light. Two 90 watt halogen floods in this one.