Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #6321
Moderator Emeritus

I'm starting a nifty new software project. No, not for pay.

The gotcha (there's always a gotcha) is that this will be an Open Source project, for Linux platforms (and various BSD distributions eventually). I have computers, but they are mostly PowerPC or 68040 based gear (I know. So Stone Age!) So, Step 0 is to construct an x86 Linux box. On an Open Source sort of budget.

This should keep me out of trouble for a while.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #6322
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just reserved my excursions for Cozumel and Roatan while watching the blizzard outside.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #6323
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I went shopping and bought clothes and shoes.

Some of you might think this a minor affair.

I really don't like it; and have to do it again tomorrow.

Don't know if you can imagine the trauma.

Fortunately was a Monday morning so not too bad.
I can sympathize with you. I hate clothes shopping. MY DW of course doesn't understand.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #6324

Spent a good part of the afternoon packing bags for trip to Cozumel next Saturday. Bought a condo there just this past May and am taking down, linens, clothes, small appliances, toiletries, etc. Trying to maximize the allowable weight without paying overage charges.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #6325
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been looking for a craigslist bike to buy for Jenny so that we can all ride together when she visits for Christmas.

Today I bought this bike at a garage sale for $65:

When I got home I found that this model sold for $2,196 when new (1996)!

I made one minor repair and fixed a flat, and now it's ready to go.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #6326
Give me a forum ...

Nice, Al! What a bargain.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #6327
Give me a forum ...

Bought a 5 year old Padmas Plantation wicker wing bed - eastern king size - for $268. No mattress and had to track down $10 worth of 1.25x8x25 metric screws. Pretty freaking cool monster sized bed. Just called out to me. Much the way a rattan chair by McGuire jumped out - bought that for $5 last week. A 20 year old table lamp by one of the designers of Boyd Lighting also came home. Some pretty insane prices for these items when new, but they do have some very nice attention to detail. Thank heavens for being surrounded by people with lots of cash and some taste!

Boy do we need a mattress! Our air bed has suffered startled cat claw puncture. Have effected Goop repair, but think there is still a wee leak unfound.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #6328
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've been looking for a craigslist bike to buy for Jenny so that we can all ride together when she visits for Christmas.

Wow, awesome buy, Al.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #6329

Loaded the truck with tools and materials for final fixup of renos at DD's house. Checked the temperature there, -33C, <sarcasm on> <sarcasm off>

It's about 300 miles. There's about 120 miles of "no one and nothing" between her town and the edges of civilization. About half way through it there is a highway webcam that people use for road conditions. Checked it, must be broken, appears to be pointing down at the road rather than each way. Could be a slow trip.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #6330

Quote:

I knew you has a great buy as soon as I saw the pic. An old buddy of mine used to own a bike shop and sold the Specialized brand. Well done.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #6331
Administrator

Celebrated the young wife's 50th birthday: Took the train into the City, went to Rockefeller Center to admire the tree and the skaters, looked in the Saks windows, saw Jersey Boys on Broadway, then went to an Indonesian restaurant on Ninth Ave, where we had an excellent rijsttafel.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #6332
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Great find !
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #6333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Celebrated the young wife's 50th birthday: Took the train into the City, went to Rockefeller Center to admire the tree and the skaters, looked in the Saks windows, saw Jersey Boys on Broadway, then went to an Indonesian restaurant on Ninth Ave, where we had an excellent rijsttafel.
That's easy for you to say....

oh...and happy birthday to your wife.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #6334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wow, NYC, dinner and a Broadway play, the Christmas tree and Saks windows all dressed up for Christmas? Sounds like a wonderful birthday for her - - a fabulous day that she can always remember.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #6335
Give me a forum ...

OK, you piqued my curiosity. I don't know where you are going to and from. So, I looked at that broken Webcam, and it said something about temperature in La Ronge being -35C (-31F). Then, I looked for La Ronge on the google map.

I don't think I am going to add this to my list of places to visit with my RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Loaded the truck with tools and materials for final fixup of renos at DD's house. Checked the temperature there, -33C, <sarcasm on> <sarcasm off>

It's about 300 miles. There's about 120 miles of "no one and nothing" between her town and the edges of civilization. About half way through it there is a highway webcam that people use for road conditions. Checked it, must be broken, appears to be pointing down at the road rather than each way. Could be a slow trip.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #6336
Moderator Emeritus

This morning I ran the two-mile qualifier in 19:28, and much to my surprise my knees and quadriceps didn't really mind. So I'm done with taekwondo qualifiers until the actual black belt test in February. I'll spend the next six weeks working on forms. The test will be about 20 students, all of whom have to do all forms with no errors and in unison. That part of the test typically takes about 6-8 hours, admittedly with occasional bathroom breaks.

Now it's time to revise my workouts. Squats & lunges are good, and probably so are situps. I need to do different types of pushups, add in handstand pushups, work back up to a dozen pullups, and be able to handle a higher intensity on the elliptical machine. Hopefully I won't have to add a bunch of other free weights to this routine. Taekwondo should cover the speed/reflex/coordination workouts and surfing can take care of the rest.

We've had a lot of rain this week: 2.5" on Thursday night and another 1-2 inches on Friday. The tenants called this morning to announce a roof leak, thankfully on the enclosed lanai's BRAI torch-on roof. I think we fixed it with some caulk but we need to re-coat the roof when the weather dries out a little.

One other thing today: I don't get out much, and I hardly ever watch commercials, but our daughter posted this Go Navy commercial to her Facebook page. It makes me want to go find an enemy submarine, sneak up on it, follow it around for a couple weeks, and frankly, perhaps have to torpedo it or TLAM a shore target. I know my emotions are being toyed with. Is that James Earl Jones narrating? I know that the dramatic background music is actually "Anchors Away". But I haven't been so influenced by a commercial since the Marine Corps broadcast the cliff-climbing one five or ten years ago.

No wonder she likes NROTC!

It's probably best not to show this commercial around teenagers and their impressionable parents...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 AM   #6337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
One other thing today: I don't get out much, and I hardly ever watch commercials, but our daughter posted this Go Navy commercial to her Facebook page. It makes me want to go find an enemy submarine, sneak up on it, follow it around for a couple weeks, and frankly, perhaps have to torpedo it or TLAM a shore target...
Yeah, there is a lot of that going around:

Old 12-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #6338

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK, you piqued my curiosity. I don't know where you are going to and from. So, I looked at that broken Webcam, and it said something about temperature in La Ronge being -35C (-31F). Then, I looked for La Ronge on the google map.

I don't think I am going to add this to my list of places to visit with my RV.
I'm headed for the La Ronge area, (-38C right now).

It's a wilderness area, lots of lakes, fishing. Nothing but RV's on the road all summer. If you like that sort of thing, put it on your RV list for late June early July, you won't be disappointed. Temperatures 65F - 90F, sunrise at 4:00, sunset at 10:30, never really gets dark. Downside can be a few too many bugs. Winter, stay home.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #6339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Well this isn't "life after FIRE" (I wish)...but it is what I did today: resigned from one job (toxic co-worker environment) and agreed to another to start in January. Hopefully I'm not jumping from the fire-pan into the fire...but I just couldn't stay in the fire-pan any longer!
Freedom...FREEDOM

Congratulations!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #6340
Give me a forum ...

Today is a "get stuff done around the house day". My new picture window is just fabulous. The contractors had to put new window moulding on the inside, so I have some taping off and staining to do today. Piece of cake!
Temps are supposed to be in the 40s, so I can get that done with other windows open so the fumes won't be too bad. Zooooommmmm

Patriots play at 4:15 today, so I know where we will be. Go spandex!