Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #6361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've been looking for a craigslist bike to buy for Jenny so that we can all ride together when she visits for Christmas.

Today I bought this bike at a garage sale for $65:

When I got home I found that this model sold for $2,196 when new (1996)!

I made one minor repair and fixed a flat, and now it's ready to go.
Looks good. Is it steel?

Today I bought a new phone- a Samsung with a full qwerty keyboard.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #6362
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

...a family story that puts more pressure on her chemistry experience. I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry. I met spouse when she was failing freshman chemistry and I was assigned as her tutor. Spouse pulled out a "B" but of course she's been payin' it back now for over 30 years. Clearly our daughter has inherited the wrong set of chemistry genes, but as far as we can tell she's determined to survive the subject without a tutor...]
I took the easy way out and majored in Physics.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #6363
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I took the easy way out and majored in Physics.
Crap, My BS & Ms was in Math.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #6364
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IIRC, at low enough levels:
  • all chemistry is just applied physics
  • All physics is just applied math
  • all math is just applied philosophy
  • all philosophy is just applied religion
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #6365
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
That must be right, because going into that final exam she sure was doing a lot of praying...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #6366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Looks good. Is it steel?
Ha
No, it's an aluminum-based alloy. That's important here near the ocean since everything rusts.

At 22 pounds, it's 2.25 pounds lighter than my bike. I might switch to it after Jenny goes back home, but my short test ride showed me that it feels all the little bumps in the pavement. IOW, it has a harsh ride, as you'd expect in a racing bike.

Jenny's already seen pictures, but I think I'll clean it up to showroom quality and put it under the tree with a bow.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #6367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That must be right, because going into that final exam she sure was doing a lot of praying...

So was I in Chemistry 101 and 102. I pulled a B in both and never got chemical again.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #6368
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Hmmm... And since engineering is the discipline, art, and profession of applying such knowledge to the design and construction of structures, systems, and processes, then ideally I should be able to have a second career in Philosophical Engineering, or going back to basics, Religious Engineering. Professional Theological Engineer (PTE) credentials, perhaps, ordained in The Church of All Worlds. Nah. I'd probably wind up stoned to death by some troglodytes.

Fortunately, after FIRE, I grok that there are infinite possibilities...
Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #6369
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My 6 year old Dell desktop has been giving me problems over the past few days. I had to replace both the keyboard and monitor a few months ago and now it looks like my power supply is giving out. Rather than repair, today I ordered a "new" (OK, refurbished) Lenovo desktop (sans monitor). The refurb unit was half the price of a new one.

(Yes, I did consider a laptop but prefer a desktop for everyday use.)

I plan to take the lazy route when it comes to transferring all my info - stick the hard drive from my old computer into the new one as the secondary drive...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #6370
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My 6 year old Dell desktop has been giving me problems over the past few days. I had to replace both the keyboard and monitor a few months ago and now it looks like my power supply is giving out. Rather than repair, today I ordered a "new" (OK, refurbished) Lenovo desktop (sans monitor). The refurb unit was half the price of a new one.

(Yes, I did consider a laptop but prefer a desktop for everyday use.)

I plan to take the lazy route when it comes to transferring all my info - stick the hard drive from my old computer into the new one as the secondary drive...
Good! I hope you like your new computer as much as I am enjoying my new laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
ideally I should be able to have a second career in Philosophical Engineering, or going back to basics, Religious Engineering. Professional Theological Engineer (PTE) credentials, perhaps, ordained in The Church of All Worlds. Nah. I'd probably wind up stoned to death by some troglodytes.
I love it!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #6371
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Orgo (is that what they call Organic Chemistry?) is what nearly did DD in at your DD's school. She felt a lot of sympathy when she read about Dean Ornish, who went on to graduate from UT:

Quote:
After he entered Rice University in 1971 as a National Merit Scholar and a biochemistry major, ..., in the fall of his sophomore year, Ornish had a crisis of confidence and suffered a severe bout of depression. In a highly competitive academic atmosphere, he found himself consumed by feelings of worthlessness and despair. "I felt I couldn't keep up," he says. "The more I worried, the harder it was to study, and the harder it was to study, the more I worried. I couldn't sleep, and that made me crazy. Finally, I was sitting in organic chemistry and I thought, 'Of course, I'll just kill myself.' "
Old 12-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #6372
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Orgo (is that what they call Organic Chemistry?) is what nearly did DD in at your DD's school. She felt a lot of sympathy when she read about Dean Ornish, who went on to graduate from UT:
That's right-- the sophomore choices are orgo, biochem, or a third semester of physics (waves & optics). 30 years ago I didn't care for organic one little bit and was darn glad to get a pair of 79.5% Bs. She's decided she's not going to press her luck there. She knows all about the physics of the Tacoma Narrows bridge so she's not sure she wants another helping of that subject. She's hoping that biochem translates directly into something related to civil engineering. Coral reefs? Soil analysis?

She's been talking a blue streak since she spotted us in baggage claim six hours ago. I'm exhausted but she's a very happy teen. Luckily the surf forecast is 3-5 feet so tomorrow's dawn patrol will be more paddling than talk story.

The grades are starting to roll in... "A"s in Intro to Civ Eng and Naval Science, which she said were pretty slow-pitch softballs. Much to her surprise she pulled out a "B" in Calculus but she's not going to ask any questions. She should have physics & chemistry grades by next week, and if she pulls a pair of "C"s then she should stay above the 2.50 cutoff for NROTC's mandatory study hours. But she's having plenty of fun without doing GPA guesstimation so I'm not going to bring it up.

She did taekwondo tonight for the first time in four months and her forms still looked better than mine...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 AM   #6373

Quote:
She's hoping that biochem translates directly into something related to civil engineering. Coral reefs? Soil analysis?
There is a huge demand now for LEED certification, since sustainable and environmentally friendly designs are now on the front burner. I would think that biochem would help out there.

Storm water detention and drainage design must now incorporate means for maintaining water cleanliness. I would think biochem would be a great fit.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #6374
Give me a forum ...

Woke up.

Watching the Weather Channel to see what a potential storm may be doing as far as impacting our travel plans to MA next week. If a Nor'easter develops, it may turn out we go east for New Years' instead. Santa will understand.

My holiday decorating is all done after a brief interruption for the new picture window installation. I went for a very simplistic scheme this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downsized_1217000954.jpg (33.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg downsized_1217000955.jpg (42.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg downsized_1217000956.jpg (24.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #6375
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice decorations.

Packing today for flight to Cozumel in the morning. Not even January and I've already had my fill of cold, gray, windy and icy. Sunny and 70's here we come!

Happy Holidays everybody!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #6376

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Woke up.

Watching the Weather Channel to see what a potential storm may be doing as far as impacting our travel plans to MA next week. If a Nor'easter develops, it may turn out we go east for New Years' instead. Santa will understand.

My holiday decorating is all done after a brief interruption for the new picture window installation. I went for a very simplistic scheme this year.
Nice job! I like your hearth...or is it fireside?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #6377

Commissioned my first Ensign in the USNR! Made goal for the quarter (first quarter I have been on goal)... (Officers take 6-9 mos after selection to get "all the way in") Time for holiday stand down (aka - practice retirement - only have to come to office 3 specific days between the time I leave today and Jan. 3. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #6378
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Commissioned my first Ensign in the USNR!
Congrats!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #6379

Went Ice Skating.

For the first time in about 30 years. Managed to stay upright, no falling. After a half hour or so the muscle memory finally kicked in, did some spins, backward skating etc.. It was a blast.

Just last week someone at the coffee shop mentioned the rink, it is about 20 miles away, had no idea there was one around.

New weekday entertainment, trying to convince DW to come along next week.

Now to hunt down some skates on Craigslist.............

When I was kid, the skates had keys.
The kind that clamped onto the soles and heels of boots, and roughousing around would remove the soles and heels. Mother would get upset about the cost of boot repairs. Fancy built in skates were beyond the budget.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #6380
Give me a forum ...

I cleaned the glass of the oven today. You may say, "Al, that's not a big deal." But the batter stain was on the inside of the glass door.

It's been bugging me for 11 years, it was there when we got the house, but I finally had the nerve to dismantle the door enough to clean the inside part, knowing that if I broke it, we'd probably need a new oven. It went well.