Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #6381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's been bugging me for 11 years...
Procrastination is a fine art.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #6382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had a tree fall over in the front yard on Monday. I posted a free firewood ad on Craigslist. Two hours later the tree was gone.

I replaced my range hood this AM. The old one is on the porch waiting for pickup, also from Craigslist freebies. I guess that is one advantage of living in a depressed area.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #6383
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
We had a tree fall over in the front yard on Monday. I posted a free firewood ad on Craigslist. Two hours later the tree was gone.
Well done. I'll try this next time.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #6384
Give me a forum ...

My iPod Touch tries to guess at words that I'm typing in. If I don't notice, it will use the word it guessed, rather than the word I actually typed in.

I guess this is why my ShopShop checklist for things to buy in town tomorrow includes the word "sperm."
Old 12-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #6385
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry it took me so long.

But seriously, this is how I get all our firewood. My craigslist RSS feed alerts me if the word "firewood" appears in the Craigslist free section. If we don't have any storms soon, I won't have enough for next year.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #6386
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But seriously, this is how I get all our firewood. My craigslist RSS feed alerts me if the word "firewood" appears in the Craigslist free section. If we don't have any storms soon, I won't have enough for next year.
That explains all the responses within a few minutes. I thought people sat around and watched their computer screens.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #6387
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My iPod Touch tries to guess at words that I'm typing in. If I don't notice, it will use the word it guessed, rather than the word I actually typed in.

I guess this is why my ShopShop checklist for things to buy in town tomorrow includes the word "sperm."

But will they be as good as home made?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #6388
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Quote:
That explains all the responses within a few minutes. I thought people sat around and watched their computer screens.
Me too! There's some computer tech stuff I'm really up to snuff on, and then there's all the stuff I am a complete Luddite about. This explains the 50 responses in ten minutes to my "free computer parts" CL ad earlier this year.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #6389
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The cat was looking for the mouse

The cat went after the mouse on my old rusty laptop and, after a quick Google search, he gave up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1740063r.jpg (59.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #6390
Give me a forum ...

Fixed two big pots of homemade soup today. The ingredients are turkey, noodles, onions, carrots, celery, sweet peas, potatoes and corn.

Boy...have I got a lot of soup.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #6391
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Fixed two big pots of homemade soup today. The ingredients are turkey, noodles, onions, carrots, celery, sweet peas, potatoes and corn.

Boy...have I got a lot of soup.
I do big batches of soup now and then.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #6392
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol. South shore was at 3-5 feet today with occasional six. We paddled out past the smaller ones to the main break and ended up with a nice four-footer all to ourselves. Despite the lack of practice in Houston, she hit it on the first try and we had our first father-daughter wave in four months.

She only lasted 90 minutes but they're the best waves I've had in a couple months. I definitely prefer the slower pace of 3-5 footers over the heart-pounding thrill of a 12-footer.

She's been talking a blue streak sharing her college experiences for over 24 hours now but she's starting to slow down a little. Only 22 days left...

Today we started all the age-18 financial upgrades. She managed to find the time to sign up for a PenFed account and she'll eventually transfer her car savings fund over to their CDs. Tomorrow we'll see if she can sign up for a Fidelity account to transfer her Roth IRA over from T. Rowe Price, and if that goes well the next step is applying for a Fidelity credit card.

Quote:
I cleaned the glass of the oven today. You may say, "Al, that's not a big deal." But the batter stain was on the inside of the glass door.
That must have been one heck of an exploding cake!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #6393
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday we saw a whale breach. That's the first time in the 11 years we've lived here. I only saw the splash the first time, but saw the whole thing the second time. It was about halfway to the horizon. Looked like this:

Old 12-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #6394
Give me a forum ...

Just got done doing my nails in a nice pretty pink.
Today is the Legion Christmas party. Mr Boston and I plan to go nicely dressed. I may even get him to wear a tie.
Most other attendees will be in jeans, but what the heck? We'll add a touch of class and maybe start a new custom.
I skipped the annual holiday party hosted by my former employer this year. Bah humbug!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #6395
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Went to the 32nd Annual TubaMeister Christmas concert. 159 tuba, baritone horn and euphonium players at the outdoor Arneson River Theater on the San Antonio Riverwalk. The weather was great and the music was almost tuba good to be true.

Here's a photo of 20 of the 159 participants...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TubaMeister-Christmas02.jpg (899.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #6396
Give me a forum ...

P.S. Note that I didn't take the whale photo, but it looked like that.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #6397

Spent the afternoon at a wine tasting sponsored by a local pub. Now I believe it's time for a nap.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #6398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
P.S. Note that I didn't take the whale photo, but it looked like that.
That's a great experience Al. Once we were walking towards a beach (above Bodega somewhere north of Schoolhouse Beach I think) and a whale just appeared embedded in the wave for seconds. It was huge and then gone in an instant.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #6399
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Went to the 32nd Annual TubaMeister Christmas concert. 159 tuba, baritone horn and euphonium players at the outdoor Arneson River Theater on the San Antonio Riverwalk. The weather was great and the music was almost tuba good to be true...
Ah! Another great reason to move to Texas. Wish I were there.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #6400

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's a photo of 20 of the 159 participants...
Tubas? Looks like all sousaphones.