Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #6401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Tubas? Looks like all sousaphones.
...which is a type of tuba.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #6402
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Went to the 32nd Annual TubaMeister Christmas concert. 159 tuba, baritone horn and euphonium players at the outdoor Arneson River Theater on the San Antonio Riverwalk. The weather was great and the music was almost tuba good to be true.

Here's a photo of 20 of the 159 participants...
That's pretty cool. I would have loved to have seen that..

Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #6403

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
That's pretty cool. I would have loved to have seen that..
Although the group here isn't affiliated, there is an national group called TUBACHRISTMAS that may have a concert in your area. Well worth your time if you can catch a performance.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #6404
Administrator

Quote:
Went to the 32nd Annual TubaMeister Christmas concert. 159 tuba, baritone horn and euphonium players at the outdoor Arneson River Theater on the San Antonio Riverwalk. The weather was great and the music was almost tuba good to be true.

Here's a photo of 20 of the 159 participants...
How did they ever find accommodations for all the tuba groupies?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #6405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
How did they ever find accommodations for all the tuba groupies?
Not sure, but security was so tight they even had a moat in front of the stage. I heard they did it as a precaution - since it was heavy metal concert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TubaMeister-Christmas01.jpg (271.3 KB, 3 views)

Old 12-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #6406
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Didn't do a whole lot today. Just puttered around the house some.

A little while ago I was sitting on my patio; a bird came out of nowhere and flew in a tree about 15 feet away from me. It was chirping LOUDLY and scared the bejeebers out of me!

Prolly some kind of omen.

...oh and REW, I like the tuba pic.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #6407
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Became a brilliant mechanic.

DW's vehicle has been doing stupid things acting up lately. Today was oil change (ya, I did it myself) day so I also disconnected the battery to "reboot" the computer. Changed fluids, connected battery and got in to take DW out for supper. Power seat would not go back. Tried moving it forward and it worked. Whined at DW. She said "want me to drive?". I said sure, but when she hit the driver's seat, even she was too close. Finally she said "let's take your truck" which we did.

Took mine, came home and I was still "confused". Went out, removed: negative terminal from battery; a bunch of plastic bottles from under the seat and (I hope) my mind from neutral.

Needless to say, the power seat works just fine. Which one of you witches or warlocks done it?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #6408
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not sure, but security was so tight they even had a moat in front of the stage. I heard they did it as a precaution - since it was heavy metal concert.
I'm pretty sure that was a mosh pit-- until the performers started emptying their spit valves...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #6409

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Became a brilliant mechanic.

Went out, removed: negative terminal from battery; a bunch of plastic bottles from under the seat and (I hope) my mind from neutral.

Needless to say, the power seat works just fine. Which one of you witches or warlocks done it?
Pure FM, especially since seat works without re-attaching battery terminal.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #6410
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Went out, removed: negative terminal from battery; ...
Wow! Did you simply rip it out? ... with like a pair of pliers? Or did you have to use a hammer and chisel?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #6411
Give me a forum ...

Sitting here vegetating in front of nice tight spandex football.

I'm using up food in my upright freezer getting a little creative in the kitchen.
Dinner is in the crockpot...ham chunks, pineapple, Cubanelle peppers, onions in soy/ginger/citrus marinade, to be served with pork fried rice.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #6412

Unless I am mistaken, a Sousaphone is technically a type of tuba. Played one (a Sousaphone, that is) in marching and concert bands for 8 years...
Old 12-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #6413

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

I'm using up food in my upright freezer getting a little creative in the kitchen.
Dinner is in the crockpot...ham chunks, pineapple, Cubanelle peppers, onions in soy/ginger/citrus marinade, to be served with pork fried rice.
LOL (the spandex) - hate watching sports so I skip that... but I'm cooking ham and bean soup for dinner. I understand the "using up food in freezer" syndrome! Ham chunks from last April, oh my... will be good in soup.

I'm just taking it easy, basically. Oh yeah, and catching up on LOST episodes - I'm finally watching the last season which is finally on Netflix on demand!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #6414

After church I did a little gardening, but only lasted about 45 minutes before I gave up—temperatures are in the low 40's today. I used to work outdoors all day in weather like this, or colder. I've really become a softy since I transferred to an office job.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #6415
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Chicken, vegetables, herbs, and rice in CrockPot®.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #6416
Give me a forum ...

My cooking is also getting creative in order to have refrigerator & freezer space for all the Christmas goodies . Tomorrow will be chicken cacciatore since I have all the ingredients . Next Friday & Saturday are serious cooking days and I even whip out an apron . After that it's a few days of leftovers before I have the will to cook again.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #6417
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It's a good day for NY teams.

Buffalo beat Miami, 17-14
The Jets just won against Pittsburgh 22-17

The Giants...well...they lost by only 1 touchdown.

For Mr Boston, the Patriots play at 8 PM tonight. Hope we can watch it on TV.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #6418

Thank you Martha. I am back. To answer your question, I was in Guatemala - the needs there are huge. People have nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Good luck!

Where in Central America?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #6419

Interesting thread for someone not retired yet. Gives me some ideas what to look forward too.

Family attended a cousin's birthday party turning 5 at Chuck e Cheese.

Lots of kids, lots of noise, my kids had fun, worn out mom and dad and they fell asleep during the car ride home.

Not excited for Monday as it'll be a full work day and snow coming.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #6420
Administrator

We had lunch at Sid-Mar's restaurant, a little restaurant that used to be up by Lake Ponchartrain on the 17th Street Canal, by the docks used by commercial fishermen. You can see photos on their website at that link. We used to go there now and then years ago. It was destroyed by Katrina, and then the Army Corps of Engineers took the land it was on so they could not re-build. There was no Sid-Mar's for about five years. Recently they re-opened in a much different location, in a residential area just off a busy street.

Frank got seafood gumbo, I got crab and corn bisque, and we split a shrimp po-boy dressed. The food was fine, but the prices are a bit too steep for our tastes. The bill was $30 , about twice what we usually pay. Plus, part of the charm of Sid-Mar's was its location by the water. Oh well. The seafood still tastes fresh - - I have to give 'em that.

We don't go there very often any more, and apparently neither does anyone else. Anyway, we watched the fourth quarter of the Saints game with a half dozen other customers while we were there. Too bad, c'est la vie. Our Saints almost pulled it off but the Ravens won the game.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread