Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #6481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
...I swear I'll be younger next year!
Send me some of that pixie dust please!

Woke up to 8" of snow you perverts on the ground and a nicely plowed and shoveled driveway. It's nice to be a guest for the holidays.

Helped Mr Boston fix a leaking kitchen sink. It turns out an incorrect plastic washer was used on the PVC pipe setup when it was repaired by some other plumber wannabe person.
The hardware store guy took one look at that beveled plastic washer and produced the correct one - straight sided with a lip.
Install, hand tighten, and PRESTO...no leak.

Getting ready to watch Robin Hood. Russell Crowe in tights.....woooooo

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #6482
Administrator

Flew back from St. Louis to the Land of Steady Habits via Detroit. The flights were on time and the airports quiet. It was a very easy trip. However, the standby list for our regional jet from Detroit to White Plains was 12 names long. I overheard some of the standby's talking - they had been trying to get back to LaGuardia for two days. Ugh.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #6483
Give me a forum ...

I bought my girlfriend some Prada perfume, and took her to Happy Hour at the Fairmount Hotel. Very nice intimate atmosphere with friendly bartenders and patrons, an old wood paneled room, a very nice wine for a Happy Hour, and wonderful plump oysters.

Sorry, I guess I failed both frugality and asceticism today. But there is hope; tomorrow is another day.

Ha
Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #6484
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sorry, I failed frugality today.

Ha
Given that it was undoubtedly in the service of a higher goal, entirely excusable.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #6485
Give me a forum ...

I spent yesterday helping scrape snow off the driveway. Solar radiation on a blacktop driveway is a girl's best friend. Scrape a little surface snow, spread it on warm driveway, wait 10 minutes, rinse and repeat.
It was great to get out and feel warm sunshine and fresh air after 2 days of howling winds and snowfall.
The exercise will help offset the 4 pieces of decadent Belgian chocolate eaten at a relative's house.
No weight gain so far...

Today is a return trip to a relative's private club while Mr Boston does some insurance paperw*rk. I will definitely get these guys stirred up with Noo Yawker jokes. It's all in good fun!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #6486
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Flew back from St. Louis to the Land of Steady Habits via Detroit.
Minor threadjack here: That's the second or third phrase of yours that I've been forced to Google recently. It made me smile once I discovered the meaning as I'm currently reading about the Constitutional Convention and that phrase certainly captures the essence of Roger Sherman.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #6487
Moderator Emeritus

Hot time in the big town tonight: we went to McDonald's.

It's the closest one to our house, and we used to hang out there on hot afternoons for a few minutes with an ice cream cone in between running errands. It was probably built in the 1970s or early 1980s with decor to match. Unfortunately six months ago they literally tore it down, dug up the parking lot, relandscaped, and started over from scratch. We've been watching them rebuild it and it became clear that considerable thought/planning went into the project.

They've made no attempt to inform their steady customers of the schedule, let alone publicize their plans. No "pardon our dust" or "re-opening soon", not even a few column inches in the local fishwrapper. They just shut down, demolished, rebuilt, and re-opened without saying a word. I haven't decided whether that's incompetence, arrogance, or brilliant marketing. Heck, I would've paid for a behind-the-scenes tour and a technology/engineering discussion.

They re-opened a couple weeks ago. The play place is gone, the old confusing backwards parking-lot layout is fixed, and the building seems taller (storage?). It's all concrete block and, except for the large glass windows, would probably qualify as a hurricane shelter. When you walk in the door the place still has its "fresh hot grease" smell. They were working the last of the punch list-- installing the emergency AED on the wall by the trash cans. The interior is lovely, of course, and the layout is much better.

Our 18-year-old still remembers me tossing her into the old ball pit when she was a toddler. I guess the removal of the play place means that McDonald's is more of a pickup than a destination, or maybe the equipment was more of an insurance liability than a customer attraction. They certainly picked up a lot of square footage for parking, storage, and layout.

The biggest sign of the fast-food trend is that they now have two drive-through lanes for ordering. However they still only have one window for pickup. They handle the consolidation with networked digital cameras-- while the driver is ordering in each lane, a camera photographs their vehicle and displays the image at the pickup window along with their order.

Oh, and they have free WiFi now. Apparently that's so common they don't even bother to advertise it. Spouse is already looking forward to spending a quiet August/September hour with an ice cream cone and her laptop...

Yeah, I know, we don't get out much. $2.91 for two cones and an hour's entertainment. But it's nice to be able to resume one of our old habits even if the surroundings are completely new.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #6488
Give me a forum ...

Played 9 holes today. Did OK considering I've only played 3 times in the last month. Needed a little break, but ready to get back at it. Golf will have to wait until next week though. Suppose to rain the next few days. I'm ready to hunker down for some bowl games anyway. And the frig is full.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #6489
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Minor threadjack here: That's the second or third phrase of yours that I've been forced to Google recently. It made me smile once I discovered the meaning as I'm currently reading about the Constitutional Convention and that phrase certainly captures the essence of Roger Sherman.
We love Roger Sherman, although when contemplating the fact that Wyoming has only 14% of the population of Connecticut (500k vs. 3.5 M) yet gets 42% as many electoral votes (3 vs 7), we sometimes have second thoughts about the Connecticut Compromise he crafted.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #6490
Moderator Emeritus

I saw True Grit, the new Coen brothers version.

Best movie that I have seen in a long time. Not a quirky trademark Coen movie, but a very good straightforward western. I liked it better than the John Wayne version.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #6491
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I saw True Grit, the new Coen brothers version.

Best movie that I have seen in a long time. Not a quirky trademark Coen movie, but a very good straightforward western. I liked it better than the John Wayne version.
Very happy to hear this Martha. Love the original, love the Coen brothers, glad to hear it works.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #6492
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I took the grand kids bowling and then out to eat at Chilis. All of us had a great time.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 AM   #6493
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got back from a road trip to big sur with my brother. We managed to squeeze it in between the rainy days here in california..

Here's one of the pic's he took

Limekiln State Park by thoegeman, on Flickr
Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #6494

Saw the Little Fockers at the movie theatre. Saw Pay it Forward at home. Watched DW pick out new pendant / track lighting fixtures to replace recessed can lighting. Patching the can holes will be fun. Fired up the kegerator for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The biggest sign of the fast-food trend is that they now have two drive-through lanes for ordering. However they still only have one window for pickup. They handle the consolidation with networked digital cameras-- while the driver is ordering in each lane, a camera photographs their vehicle and displays the image at the pickup window along with their order.
Very interesting - I wondered how they figured out what food order matched what vehicle.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #6495
Give me a forum ...

We've got some family visiting. My nephew frequently goes outside to smoke, and when he comes back in, just the residual smoke in his lungs makes the house smell bad. I'm considering asking him to stay outside a few minutes afterward, to purge himself, but I guess I'll keep my mouth shut.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #6496
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm considering asking him to stay outside a few minutes afterward, to purge himself, but I guess I'll keep my mouth shut.
Oh! No. Go ahead tell him... and, also, suggest he jog once around the block to insure he is thoroughly cleansed. That should please everyone.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #6497
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We've got some family visiting. My nephew frequently goes outside to smoke, and when he comes back in, just the residual smoke in his lungs makes the house smell bad. I'm considering asking him to stay outside a few minutes afterward, to purge himself, but I guess I'll keep my mouth shut.
It might be on his clothes and that is what you are smelling. I know that my smoking relatives always smell of smoke.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #6498
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Very interesting - I wondered how they figured out what food order matched what vehicle.
I took a little family grief for being such a geek, but I think they were curious too and secretly relieved that I had the courage to ask...

I was curious whether they used some sort of numbering system or had to ask what they were driving or just had to remember what was on camera. I thought it was interesting that the system is totally automated and auditable.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #6499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I took a little family grief for being such a geek, but I think they were curious too and secretly relieved that I had the courage to ask..
I should have asked McDonald's too because I asked an office full of engineers how they handled this and none of them had a clue.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #6500
Full time employment: Posting here.

Recovering from surgery I had yesterday. Had deviated septum repaired, a turbintate reduction, tonsilectomy and UP3 which includes removal of uvula and trimming of soft palate. All this to hopefully cure sleep apnea and stop bad snoring. Yesterday was hell whenever demerol wore off. Had no idea I swallowed so much. Big time youch. Anyway, spent last night in hospital but came home about 10:30 today. My DW has made a wonderful transition into being my nurse but maybe even a tad over attentive. Recovery expected to take 2-3 weeks before back to normal.

Closed Thread