Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #6541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sick as a dog today. Feels like the flu, but I had a flu shot in November. Managed to stumble through a trip to Costco with the kids and now overcome with aches, chills, etc. Boss will have a hard time buying it if I call in sick tomorrow (since I had the whole week off), but what else could I do...
Mr Boston caught some awful bug while we were in MA. He was the perfect I/O system for 48 hours if you catch my drift.

I'm OK so far, but I truly expect to develop the same horrid symptoms. So far so good.

I heartily second the "sneeze on the b*ss" approach if he hassles you to come in regardless of how you feel.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #6542
Give me a forum ...

I feel like h*ll from same flu bug mentioned a day ago...

I've been mostly sleeping, drinking fluids, hotfooting it down the hallway and reviewing my email calendar reminders. I'm weeding out a lot of them.

I found a good one that was set to chime every Jan 1.
Stop sending me catalogs!
Catalog Choice - Control the catalogs you receive in the mail

Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #6543
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been reading the ER forum... and trying not to look at the clutter I really should go through for the rest of the year... oh, and watching reruns of the new "V" on TV (last season's episodes) since the season starts again tomorrow.

This year we have a DVR and will record and then blast through the excessive commercial time. That program had more commercial interruptions than we had ever encountered.

Also doing my usual financial stuff - watching my stock portfolio...

And it's 2011... eeek... there must be beginning of year stuff to be done.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #6544
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol, evening taekwondo, and... 800 mg of ibuprofen.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #6545
Give me a forum ...

I convinced DH (in a tactful way) that we should put everything back in our sunroom.

I've stripped all the wallpaper that I can from the walls and he needs to do the high areas. For a while now, we've moved stuff to other rooms and had the larger furniture moved to the center of the sunroom. With everything we have going on now, there's no way he's going to be able to complete his portion any time soon.

I don't know if it's a 'female' thing or not. But having stuff scattered about and in disarray is stressful for me. I don't need that additional stress in my life right now.

We'll get him well first, then complete the job.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #6546
Administrator

Hosted the Roto-Roooter man for 4 1/2 hours. What a crappy day. Although we're back up and flushing for the moment, I will need a new sewer line in the very near future.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #6547
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
What a crappy day.
That zinger almost went by undetected!

I hope they're not going to have to excavate the entire lot. I've heard that they can do wonders with pipe-splitting microtunnels... more expensive than some types of excavations but a lot less messy.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #6548
Give me a forum ...

I ate something today. I actually had an appetite and consumed food.

Mr Boston is running a low grade fever at 101. Mine is only 99.

Fluids, rest, aspirin. Rinse and repeat.

Cabin fever is setting in. I gotta get out of the house tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #6549
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hosted the Roto-Roooter man for 4 1/2 hours. What a crappy day. Although we're back up and flushing for the moment, I will need a new sewer line in the very near future.
The joys of outlets.

You might consider inserting a lining. We have an underfloor clay sewer pipe, segments of which when examined by video camera were separated and as result of leakage, sagging.

The pipe is under concrete floor which we really did not want busted up to get to the piping, lots of reasons, not relevant.

The solution was to line the pipe with an epoxy system. Works like a charm, even in the sewage business, there is charm.

There are companies doing the lining work.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #6550

Quote:
Reminds me of the time my brother-in-law was helping me to snake out the sewage line in my house. I was removing the cap from the cleanout and as he was standing directly behind me and I knew that the blocked sewage was under pressure, told him to stand to the side so he wouldn't get hit. He did so, I removed the cap, and I heard a loud yell.

For some reason, the sewage had streamed out at an angle and hit my bother-in-law. I turned round to see him covered in hundreds of tiny bits of toilet paper and raw sewage. The embarrassing part was because I lived on my own, it was, um, my sewage.

For years afterwards, we joked about what a raw deal he got, staying as a guest in my house and ending up covered in my poop. It still embarrasses me to think of it to this day.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #6551
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I recall a few years ago when I had to call Roto-Rooter on a Sunday afternoon. Nice man showed up and gave me an estimate---like I'm going to negotiate?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #6552
Give me a forum ...

Pretty day today. Teed off at 11:00 with the temp at 53 and by time we got through, it was 60 degrees. No complaints for a winter day. But, rain tomorrow. I sure hope this will be a mild winter.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #6553

Since I left work on the 17th, this has been my first day home alone. Everyone finally returned to their jobs. We are having some beautiful mild weather in the SF Bay Area so I visited a regional park I had never been to and hiked for a couple of hours. A little muddy but passable. This is the time of year the CA hills are green from the rain.

Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve | East Bay Regional Park District
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sibley-1.jpg (62.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #6554

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Since I left work on the 17th, this has been my first day home alone. Everyone finally returned to their jobs. We are having some beautiful mild weather in the SF Bay Area so I visited a regional park I had never been to and hiked for a couple of hours. A little muddy but passable. This is the time of year the CA hills are green from the rain.

Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve | East Bay Regional Park District
Looks great Marty. I like to stand on top of Vollmer Peak in the nearby Tilden Regional Park and look out over the bay area. I haven't been to Sibley - will have to try it.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #6555
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Forgot what day it was - again - and missed garbage pickup - again...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #6556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Mmm, hmmm... I went to the grocery store this afternoon and thought, 'Wow, not too many people here. I'll have to shop on Mondays from now on'.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #6557

Quote:
You know you're retired when.......
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #6558
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A HA! I beat you to it! I dragged my garbage and recyclables to the curb today. Garbage day is tomorrow.
It's supposed to snow like h*ll tomorrow and I didn't feel like dealing with it in the AM.

I also took my little winter rat car (92 Accord) to the car wash and got the wipers replaced at the auto parts store. Free installation. I replenished my Kleenex supply, bought 2 pair of $7 summer weight leggings, and treated myself to a pint of shrimp fried rice. All this while Mr Boston went to the VA for a medical checkup. I think I got the better deal today.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #6559

Tried to take out the motorcycle and the battery was dead. I guess that's what happens when it sits idle for a month+. Tried jump starting it. Didn't work. Plus I found that pushing a 500 lb bike as fast as you can is pretty exhausting. As a last resort I looked at the manual and found out how to remove the battery. Bought a trickle charger and hooked it up. I'll see what happens tomorrow . . .
Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #6560
Moderator Emeritus

Today's the day to get the X-Mas tree ready for the wood chipper. Plan is to have it on the curb ready for pickup tomorrow; if I hurry, it'll be there for the five o'clock dog walkers.