Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #6561
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Mmm, hmmm... I went to the grocery store this afternoon and thought, 'Wow, not too many people here. I'll have to shop on Mondays from now on'.

Oh good, it's not just me. I try to remember what the newspaper was like - Wednesday has the grocery ads, Thursday the weekend preview section.... - like that. My SO is not so thrilled at my constantly saying "it's Thursday, isn't it?" Or whatever.

I'm still on totally lazy mode. Hey it's been 6 months and a lot of craziness happened so it's just now that I'm relaxing. AND I DESERVE IT. The clutter will go away eventually.

So today I said: I'm going to go through that damn closet. What have I actually done? Helped SO draft a letter to a bank that's being a total pain. Two loads of laundry. Defrosted a steak for dinner (put frozen steak on counter, put in fridge when thawed...). A lot of email. Talked to my broker for an hour.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #6562
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post

So today I said: I'm going to go through that damn closet. What have I actually done? Helped SO draft a letter to a bank that's being a total pain. Two loads of laundry. Defrosted a steak for dinner (put frozen steak on counter, put in fridge when thawed...). A lot of email. Talked to my broker for an hour.

Before I was retired I envisioned myself tackling all the closets and just getting this house into shape . Three years later and it still a work in progress .

Old 01-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #6563
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Before I was retired I envisioned myself tackling all the closets and just getting this house into shape . Three years later and it still a work in progress .
Keep on going, Moe. Do a little bit at a time to keep it from feeling like a chore.

Almost 4 years later and I am down to the last 1.5 rooms. One of the rooms is a very small bedroom which served as the "junk room" for things I couldn't immediately decide on. Everything is neatly sorted into small postal boxes.
This little room, when emptied, will exclusively be my indoor plant and mushroom growing room.
The one half remaining of the second room is still a w*rk in progress. It is being converted to strictly an office/computer/sewing room for Mr Boston and I. He plans to do income taxes as a side business for close friends and family. I get mine done for free.

All closets have been sorted through. I will be going through 1 of them again, very soon. I already have a place to send the donated items.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #6564
Give me a forum ...

9AM conference call.
A couple hours of research for..
The 11:30 conference call. That went so well that when I finished speaking for close to an hour the fools on the other end could not decide what to do next because they were still thinking about the material.
Lunch.
Two afternoon firedrills of no real importance, but they had to be done NOW.

Cannot wait to get home to the family and hound dogs.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #6565

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Keep on going, Moe. Do a little bit at a time to keep it from feeling like a chore.

Almost 4 years later and I am down to the last 1.5 rooms. One of the rooms is a very small bedroom which served as the "junk room" for things I couldn't immediately decide on. Everything is neatly sorted into small postal boxes.
This little room, when emptied, will exclusively be my indoor plant and mushroom growing room.
The one half remaining of the second room is still a w*rk in progress. It is being converted to strictly an office/computer/sewing room for Mr Boston and I. He plans to do income taxes as a side business for close friends and family. I get mine done for free.

All closets have been sorted through. I will be going through 1 of them again, very soon. I already have a place to send the donated items.
This is encouraging! If it took you 4 years... why am I sweating 6 months?

The worst is that I have no place to put stuff that needs putting away - because that room also needs going through, and on, and on... The domino effect. I figured if I got the closet sorted out I might have some more storage. The "art room" where I plan to go back to being an artist, has become the junk room, full of all the stuff you tuck away for the moment... and it becomes years.

Anyhow I'm not actually a hoarder, just haven't had the time or energy to do this, in about 5 years. It got ugly. I just threw out a foot deep pile of magazines and catalogs. One small step for womankind...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #6566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have been . My chore for this month & probably next is to go through all the closets and toss . I have two huge boxes of Christmas decor to go to goodwill .
Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #6567
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ill try to reach the 1.000 post mark. Im sorry for all of you-Im really determined to make it!!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #6568
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Ill try to reach the 1.000 post mark. Im sorry for all of you-Im really determined to make it!!
We look forward to much more Galician wit and wisdom.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #6569

Yesterday helped DW achieve one of her New Year's resolutions:

Get the old desk and an inherited curio cabinet out of the basement and off to Goodwill. (Sure is nice to have a pickup truck sometimes.)

We also went through a bunch of old paperwork, photos, and decided where to focus attention on throwing out more old computer cables, software, (anyone want a copy of Quicken '99?) diskettes, and that sort of thing. We also found a bunch of certificates I had from work for teaching computer forensics. I'm torn about throwing them away, it was all bleeding edge at the time and a huge part of life for a decade, but all of that stuff is long since obsolete and no one else would care about it.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #6570

Took my black currents out of the freezer yesterday and turned them into black current jam. Black current jam on toast with oatmeal this morning for breakfast. mmmmm I now have a stew simmering. Time to do a few things outside.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #6571

Blew about 3" of global warming off the driveway. Played with my toy helicopter, be off ice skating in while.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #6572
Give me a forum ...

Played golf yesterday and plan to play again today. My 4th round this week. Not bad for winter time. BUT, snow and ice forecast for Sunday and most of next week the high.....35. Frig.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #6573
Administrator

Off to the gym this morning. I am still a little sore from Wednesday's workout, but I think some stretching and then starting with a little leisurely time on the rowing machines will help me to work all of that out.

Dawg, you are doing great to get in so many rounds of golf this time of year.

Down here it will be a lot warmer than where you are, but we still have 90% chance of thunderstorms predicted for Sunday, and below freezing temperatures predicted again Tuesday night. The variegated shell ginger plant in my yard gets brown leaves in cold weather, so I'll probably cover it that night.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #6574
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
This is encouraging! If it took you 4 years... why am I sweating 6 months?

The worst is that I have no place to put stuff that needs putting away - because that room also needs going through, and on, and on... The domino effect. I figured if I got the closet sorted out I might have some more storage. The "art room" where I plan to go back to being an artist, has become the junk room, full of all the stuff you tuck away for the moment... and it becomes years.

Anyhow I'm not actually a hoarder, just haven't had the time or energy to do this, in about 5 years. It got ugly. I just threw out a foot deep pile of magazines and catalogs. One small step for womankind...
This site may give you some ideas.
Organizers

I can w*rk away at this organizing thing WHEN I am in the mood to do so. I was caught in a cycle of organizing and moving stuff from side to side within a room. Then I decided I could lessen the frustration level by designating 1 room for putting the first round of sorted-through things in. Instead of just randomly piling unsorted things "somewhere else", I winnowed things down to the bare minimum in the larger room and moved things to keep to the smaller room. I donated or gave away all unwanted items.
I used small and medium postal boxes* to hold similar things (extra office supplies, clothes that need mending, sewing supplies, etc).
Now I can go into the smaller room, pick up one box at a time, and go through it for the LAST time.
My plan is to eventually purchase an open bookcase and lots of low profile rectangular clear plastic bins or a shelf/pull out bin type organizer unit and be done with it all.
My process may seem redundant but it w*rks for me. I want to empty the larger room as much as possible so I can paint it.

* I ordered a lot of Ruby Red glassware on eBay and kept the boxes.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #6575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Hosted the Roto-Roooter man for 4 1/2 hours. What a crappy day. Although we're back up and flushing for the moment, I will need a new sewer line in the very near future.
Count your blessings. I bet he has a lot more crappy days than you do.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #6576
Give me a forum ...

I made an appointment for a piano lesson. In thinking about how to spend more money, I realized that piano is one of the things most important to me, so if this could help me improve faster, it will be worth it.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #6577
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I made an appointment for a piano lesson. In thinking about how to spend more money, I realized that piano is one of the things most important to me, so if this could help me improve faster, it will be worth it.
Wow! And who would you find to teach YOU... Jerry Lee Lewis?... Billy Joel?... Dave Brubeck? And what that might cost bedazzles me.

(And why doesn't someone start a "Piano Boy" thread?)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #6578
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I feel like h*ll from same flu bug mentioned a day ago...

I've been mostly sleeping, drinking fluids, hotfooting it down the hallway and reviewing my email calendar reminders. I'm weeding out a lot of them.

I found a good one that was set to chime every Jan 1.
Stop sending me catalogs!
Catalog Choice - Control the catalogs you receive in the mail
Hope you've completely recovered from the flu.

Thanks for posting this link. I estimate that we get 50 lbs of catalogs/year, at least. So now every day whe we get the mail I ask DW (aka Catalog Girl) which ones she doesn't want and enter them into the profile. Hopefully by summer we'll be down to four or five a month. I'm curious to see how effective it is.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #6579
Give me a forum ...

Work and surf, work and surf...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #6580

Quote:
This site may give you some ideas.
Organizers

I can w*rk away at this organizing thing WHEN I am in the mood to do so. I was caught in a cycle of organizing and moving stuff from side to side within a room. Then I decided I could lessen the frustration level by designating 1 room for putting the first round of sorted-through things in. Instead of just randomly piling unsorted things "somewhere else", I winnowed things down to the bare minimum in the larger room and moved things to keep to the smaller room. I donated or gave away all unwanted items.
I used small and medium postal boxes* to hold similar things (extra office supplies, clothes that need mending, sewing supplies, etc).
Now I can go into the smaller room, pick up one box at a time, and go through it for the LAST time.
My plan is to eventually purchase an open bookcase and lots of low profile rectangular clear plastic bins or a shelf/pull out bin type organizer unit and be done with it all.
My process may seem redundant but it w*rks for me. I want to empty the larger room as much as possible so I can paint it.

* I ordered a lot of Ruby Red glassware on eBay and kept the boxes.
Good ideas, and thanks for the link. I know how to do it, it's just a bit overwhelming right now. And every day, something interferes - today's interference is trying to figure out how much to do to my SO's mother's house so it sells - and then go over and sell the idea to her (so she pays for the work). She has moved to senior living and thinks the house is just perfect as is. Neither of us has time or wants to rehab the house. NO! But it's a constant stressor...

I need to throw out or give away a lot of stuff. Then there's a lot of stuff that needs to be put in a box or something. I need a block of time that isn't broken up by anything more than meal prep. Wonder when...