Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #6621
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moved snow to allow DW go swimming. Piddled on the forum. Conned DW to come ice skating with me. She like I, had not been on ice skates in 30 some odd years. Except now I am 6 sessions ahead.

She did quiet well, though managed to fall once. A good start.

Moved more snow.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #6622
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went for my colonoscopy. Doctor removed a polyp and suspect it is benign but need to confirm so after tests are done. Will be waiting to hear the test results. Cheered myself by having a fantastic dinner of foei gras, rib eye steak, ginger souffle and wine. Life has too many surprises to be on a diet.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #6623

My SIL and DD asked me to help them sell their car on Craigs List. They put my cell # on the ad and I spent the day dealing with a bunch of lunny tunes. A few of the people wanted me to drive the car to them so they can look at it, one was 80 miles away. People wanting to trade cars, one with a boat to trade. Dealers calling to low ball the price and on and on.

Finally I had a woman come over to see the car. After jumping through hoops for her for 4 hours she gave me a deposit. Then she said that if her husband doesn't like it will I get my money back. At that point I stopped her and told her no because every 10 minutes I had another call coming in on my cell about the car. After that I had to drive her to an ATM to get the money. Once that was over she said she wants to take the car to a mechanic. Since she was not from the area I had to find a mechanic and have the car checked out. Let's see if she shows up tomorrow to pick it up.

In the mean time this was too much like work.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #6624

With a few exceptions, I stayed inside (too darn cold outside). This morning I had some hot chocolate with marshmallows and warm pumpkin bread. Then I watched DVDs and a little TV while I visited some of my favorite forums and news sites. And I had a nap - one of the pleasures of retirement! About every hour or so I'd toss a piece of wood in the wood stove.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #6625
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
In the mean time this was too much like work.
Did she bite on the pinstriping and undercoating?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #6626
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm on vacation. Slept late, got up and puttered, read email, checked the Forum. Went for a walk in the snow. Then out to lunch with friends (yum) followed by some fun shopping, including bath bombs from Lush Home - LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics. Planning an early night after a fizzy bath in the jacuzzi......that's the life!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #6627

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Did she bite on the pinstriping and undercoating?
I forgot about that, don't bring back bad memories.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #6628

It was a beautiful sunny mild day in the San Francisco Bay area. I went for a motorcycle ride this afternoon.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #6629
Give me a forum ...

We got up early and drove to Syracuse for a very important appointment for Mr B. He qualifies for and has been formally accepted into the VA VR&E program.
He has a Bachelors' degree, awarded 21 years ago. He was hoping to get funding for a Masters' degree, but it probably won't happen. It seems to be a fundamental limitation of the program.
He wants to take some more college credits, perhaps go after an Associate's degree or another Bachelor degree, to update his skills.

I give him a lot of credit to want to go back to school at the tender age of 59.

I had so much formal schooling since the age of 6 that the LAST thing I would want to do is crack the books again.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #6630

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We got up early and drove to Syracuse for a very important appointment for Mr B. He qualifies for and has been formally accepted into the VA VR&E program.
Nice of you to go with him! Yes, that is a VERY important appointment! The VA does not look kindly on missed appointments! Congrats to him! What does he want to do when he grows up?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #6631
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Nice of you to go with him! Yes, that is a VERY important appointment! The VA does not look kindly on missed appointments! Congrats to him! What does he want to do when he grows up?
Neither of us had ever been to this particular office location, so we thought it would be best to go as pilot (me) and navigator (him). I am very directionally challenged. I can follow written or spoken directions better than looking at a map.
He has been a senior accountant in govt for 20+ years, and either wants to refresh in that area for PT consulting in the private sector, or....teach at the college level (needs a Masters).
Or...who knows.
The VR&E counselor told him he was not used to having veterans' with his education and experience walking in the door, so he would have to do a customized case for Mr B.
Good stuff!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #6632
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm on vacation. Slept late, got up and puttered, read email, checked the Forum. Went for a walk in the snow. Then out to lunch with friends (yum) followed by some fun shopping, including bath bombs from Lush Home - LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics. Planning an early night after a fizzy bath in the jacuzzi......that's the life!
Be careful...this kinda stuff could become addicting.

Enjoy your hard earned time off.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #6633

Is99 says he/she" Piddled on the forum."

Round my house that means the dogs peed on the floor.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #6634

Early AM Dr. appointment (routine stuff) then hit the ATM for cash, fueled DW's car for her hair appointment later.

Checked the tire pressures on the motorcycle. It's 31 degrees F outside. Sigh.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #6635
Give me a forum ...

I just finished 3 hours of battle with: Soap Scum -- in our fiberglass shower.

I tried many solutions from the Intergoogle, but there were only two things that worked well: razor blade (9/10) and Shout Laundry Stain Remover (7/10). Everything else failed miserably:

Vinegar 3/10
Vinegar and baking soda 2/10
Totally Awesome 2/10
WD-40 2/10
Ammonia 2/10

I didn't try dryer sheets (not a joke).

Hopefully I didn't add scratches that will make it worse. Scraping with the razor at a low angle removes it from flat areas just like shoveling snow. You can also using it like a paintbrush for some curved areas.

Now to prevention: I'll coat the whole thing with RainX. I've read that synthetic soaps (all liquid soaps) don't cause buildup, but we stocked up on Lever 2000 when it was on sale at Costco, and have a multi-year supply.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #6636
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I tried many solutions from the Intergoogle, but there were only two things that worked well: razor blade (9/10) and Shout Laundry Stain Remover (7/10). Everything else failed miserably:

Vinegar 3/10
Totally Awesome 2/10
WD-40 2/10
Ammonia 2/10

Hopefully I didn't add scratches that will make it worse. Scraping with the razor at a low angle removes it from flat areas just like shoveling snow. You can also using it like a paintbrush for some curved areas.

Now to prevention: I'll coat the whole thing with RainX. I've read that synthetic soaps (all liquid soaps) don't cause buildup, but we stocked up on Lever 2000 when it was on sale at Costco, and have a multi-year supply.

Do you use the stain remover full strength or is it diluted ? I need to attack mine .
Old 01-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #6637

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Vinegar 3/10
Totally Awesome 2/10
WD-40 2/10
Ammonia 2/10

I use a scotchbrite no-scratch pad with a bathroom cleaner product (I think it's clorox brand). That usually does the trick quite well. If not, I add in some Softscrub for really tough spots.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #6638

Same here, I use one of the scouring pad thingies along with Soft Scrub and that takes it off pretty quickly.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #6639
Give me a forum ...

Our shower enclosure is glass. The razor blade is the only method I even bother with. Fiberglass? I don't know if I'd go that way.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #6640
Give me a forum ...

We had some wonderful news today...Mr B passed his cardiac stress test and ultrasound with flying colors. No blockages, no valve issues, all is well. What a relief!
Medical family history is a huge factor against him. So I guess I get to keep him around for a while.

Sitting here watching "How It's Made" about toothbrushes. Pretty neat stuff.