Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #6641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad 'yo' man is doin' well freebird.

Went out to lunch with a married couple today (she used to be one of DH's employees). They can be annoying at times but are pretty decent folks. DH and I got there first, selected a booth and had our drinks ordered. Lo and behold when they came in, the first thing they asked was if we all could sit at a table. We obliged.

One of these days I'm gonna get cranky and say, 'no'.

...oh and btw, where's my 8th green square on my profile page?

See..I'm already gettin' cranky.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #6642
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I just finished 3 hours of battle with: Soap Scum -- in our fiberglass shower.
We have a fiberglass whirlpool tub with a shower diverter and a shower curtain.

We use a whole-house water conditioner, Zest soap, and a squeegie wipedown after each shower. I throw the shower curtain in the wash a couple times a year and also spray down the tub/enclosure with Tilex... but it's really only a 15-minute job. I'll have to try the Rain-X next time.

No matter how big a glassed-in shower enclosure may be, it still feels too much like a submarine shower to me. The best shower-only bathroom I've ever seen was a 12'x8' travertine-tiled room designed for orgies a wheelchair.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #6643
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The best shower-only bathroom I've ever seen was a 12'x8' travertine-tiled room designed for orgies a wheelchair.
The shower of my dreams! Someday I'd love to have a big shower like that, with multiple streams of water, lots of light, a seat, perhaps piped in music, and all the bells and whistles. I'd never leave. At the very least I'd need a bigger hot water heater!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #6644
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Today I gave blood: unit #172.

Wore a bra for the first time since 12 Dec.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #6645
Give me a forum ...

Watched a LOT of snow fall today.

I was going to take down the little christmas tree, but we decided the lights are so cheerful on the ever present glooomy cloudy days, it will remain right where it is.

The Jets and Patriots Tshirts I ordered as a surprise arrived today. Big game to watch tomorrow afternoon. Pats are heavily favored. We shall see...
Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #6646
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Do you use the stain remover full strength or is it diluted ? I need to attack mine .
Full strength Shout sprayer right out of the bottle.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #6647
Give me a forum ...

Today I had my first piano lesson in 22 years. All last week I regretted setting it up, since I value having nothing scheduled, I was worried that it would interfere with the jazz things I'm working on, and, I guess, 'cause I'm a little shy.

But the lesson was great, and I think I will be able to learn a lot from the teacher. Although she's not a jazz teacher, she feels that she can improve my technique and therefore my facility on the keys, and also help my abysmal sight-reading.

The lessons will be $60 per 1 hour lesson, which includes her driving to my house. They'll either be once a month or every other week. She's been teaching for 35 years and knows her stuff.

What a good way to spend some money, huh?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #6648
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went with son-in-law to Pep Boys for some new wiper blades for his 2003 Corolla. Went to the movies with the wifey to see Green Hornet.

After the movies, stepped across the street to Fuddruckers for a burger, hit the grocery store on the way home for some Rocky Road ice cream...then on to the house to relax from a grueling day.

Tonight, I'm putting a for sale ad on Craigslist for a guitar I want to sell. If/when it sells, the money will go into my Roth IRA.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #6649
Administrator

Quote:
Today I had my first piano lesson in 22 years. All last week I regretted setting it up, since I value having nothing scheduled, I was worried that it would interfere with the jazz things I'm working on, and, I guess, 'cause I'm a little shy.

But the lesson was great, and I think I will be able to learn a lot from the teacher. Although she's not a jazz teacher, she feels that she can improve my technique and therefore my facility on the keys, and also help my abysmal sight-reading.

The lessons will be $60 per 1 hour lesson, which includes her driving to my house. They'll either be once a month or every other week. She's been teaching for 35 years and knows her stuff.

Al, I can't think of a better way for you to spend your money! You are such a good musician already, and I know the lessons won't be wasted on you. You'll enjoy learning even more from her, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #6650
Give me a forum ...

Took a first aid and CPR class required for leading Sierra Club hikes.

Summary: Call 911. If they aren't breathing, pump their chest. Anticipate their probable death.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #6651
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At the very least I'd need a bigger hot water heater!
120 gallons at 150 degrees, courtesy of the solar water heater. The thermal mixing valve limits the house temperature to about 120-125...

Quote:
She's been teaching for 35 years and knows her stuff.
I'm impressed. I wondered who had anything left to teach you that you couldn't work out for yourself. I never thought that a "non-jazz" teacher could help you exchange bad habits for good ones or teach you new skills.

Of course you're her dream student-- plenty of time to practice and absolutely no excuses for not doing so!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #6652
Give me a forum ...

Awake at 4 AM today and couldn't go back to sleep. A double whammy of being excited about some things to try on the piano and a bicycle mechanics project I'm working on. When am I going to grow up?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #6653

Quote:
Awake at 4 AM today and couldn't go back to sleep. A double whammy of being excited about some things to try on the piano and a bicycle mechanics project I'm working on. When am I going to grow up?

Growing up is overrated...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #6654
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Growing up is overrated...
I hope to someday confirm that.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #6655
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When am I going to grow up?
No thanks! I've seen what those grownups look like after a few years...

Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #6656

Whole weekend: breakfasts at diner, watch both games each day, nap, read novels, snack on soup, and dippers in hummus and smoked salmon dip...snooze more on couch during slow games...grumbled about my preferred teams not winning...snooze some more...whatever I had planned has now been postponed to tomorrow - will figure it out then! (federal holiday - DBF gets to go to w*rk)
Old 01-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #6657

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The shower of my dreams! Someday I'd love to have a big shower like that, with multiple streams of water, lots of light, a seat, perhaps piped in music, and all the bells and whistles. I'd never leave. At the very least I'd need a bigger hot water heater!
How's this for starters?

Grohe Freehander can be converted from the double shower head into two body-spray jets in a single movement. Its 22" lever pivots 180 degrees and carries two heads that can be rotated a full 360 degree each. With all this flexibility, the Freehander can be used for "the individual body parts massage or a very pleasurable shower experience". It can also conserve water by switching to a reduced flow setting on one head, and shutting off completely the other head. Buy this Grohe shower head for the price from $410 to $565.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #6658
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
How's this for starters?

Grohe Freehander can be converted from the double shower head into two body-spray jets in a single movement. Its 22" lever pivots 180 degrees and carries two heads that can be rotated a full 360 degree each. With all this flexibility, the Freehander can be used for "the individual body parts massage or a very pleasurable shower experience". It can also conserve water by switching to a reduced flow setting on one head, and shutting off completely the other head. Buy this Grohe shower head for the price from $410 to $565.
OOOH!! If I ever get a shower like that I'd die happy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #6659

Yeow! For the price of that shower head I'll suffer with the old single-head one.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #6660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
...the Freehander can be used for "the individual body parts massage or a very pleasurable shower experience".
You made that part up!