Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #6661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You made that part up!
I suppose I could do such verbiage, in fact it is part of the quote.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #6662
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You made that part up!
The voice of experience.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #6663
Moderator Emeritus

Went to a neighborhood open house-- 4BR/3BA, 1800 sq ft in two stories on a 5700 sq ft lot near a cul-de-sac, 20 years old, but surrounded by six two-story neighbors. $649K and they were willing to deal.

They tried to fix things up but the paint job was sloppy, the light fixtures were still filthy, the closet doors and bathroom mirrors were still a mess, and the place could use a new roof. OTOH there's not much for sale in this size around the neighborhood and Oahu's median home price is ~$600K, so this one might be gone by next month.

Spouse and I decided that one rental property is plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OOOH!! If I ever get a shower like that I'd die happy.
Wrinkled like a prune, squeaky clean, and lungs filled with water... but happy!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #6664
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Wrinkled like a prune, squeaky clean, and lungs filled with water... but happy!
Also completely relaxed and limp as a dishrag, but what a way to go! Aaaaahhh......

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #6665
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to 0F. It has warmed up to a pleasant 9F. Brrrrrrr! The good news is the sun is shining.

My annual routine mammogram is today, Pap is Wednesday. I have a mild nervousness about these things due to maternal family medical history, but I schedule and report for both without fail, every single year.

Oh, before I forget...LETS GO JETS !
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #6666
Give me a forum ...

+2F in SW PA at 7 AM. Went Ice skating. The ice was invisible due to the crowd of kids celebrating MLK day off from intellectual enlightenment. Which event I completely forgot about until chatted with the lady at the ticket window. Passed on the opportunity of mingling with the youth, went for Goodwill diving, then coffee.

By the way today is almost equidistant in time for MLK's and Stonewall Jackson's birthday.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #6667
Full time employment: Posting here.

37F with intermittent rain here today. Typical cold gray wet weather for winter here. Anyway, went bicycle shopping today and the rain stopped long enough to sneak in some test rides. DW & I bought a couple of Raleigh Detour bikes to take to the condo in Coz. Will use them to run errands around town and ride the coast highway around the island for exercise.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #6668
Give me a forum ...

Icy roads this morning, now 38F. Heat wave!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #6669
Give me a forum ...

Slept in until 8 AM, puttered around with laundry folding and surfing, then went to the Legion for coffee. I am now watching Mr B take a midday nap in the recliner. After 6 months, he's getting really good at this retirement thing. He is my best pupil in Goof-off 100 class.
The big plan today is to go buy dog food and play some cribbage and socialize at the Legion to kill off the afternoon. We may get some freezing rain later so we are staying a little closer to home.
I have TurboTax all installed, so I may start organizing my hardcopy receipts and do some data entry. Sometime sooooon....
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #6670
Gone but not forgotten

Today we checked out places for my upcoming party . Instead of having a party at home I decided to throw a Happy Hour Party at a local place . So we checked out several and rated them on drinks and appetizers . It was a lot of fun and we settled on one so now the invites go out .
Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #6671
Moderator Emeritus

A good morning workout, more blog posts, more tax returns.

But mostly I've spent the day plowing through Scott Adams' "Dilbert 2.0". It's especially satisfying to read when our Scooba is cleaning the diningroom & kitchen floors.

Today the world's best surfers started gathering on the North Shore in hopes that they'll have waves in excess of 30 feet on Thursday. The Eddie Aikau has only happened a handful of times in the last 25 years, and this is only the second time it'll be webcast live.

Quiksilver - In Memory of Eddie Aikau

I don't know if the swell is coming from enough of a north bearing to get 30 feet at Waimea, but it's enough of a west bearing that I'm pretty sure it'll wrap around to the south side to give White Plains Beach at least four feet. Hopefully I'll be able to do both dawn patrol and watch the Aikau later on...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #6672
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Woke up to a balmy -28C. Went to DS's house and completed the plumbing to replace the closet flange for the john and the subfloor in "en-suite". Since this reno (started in Oct. is nearly done), loaded a bunch of my tools in the truck and came home. Had a glass or two of "grape juice" and planned the unloading of the truck for tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #6673
Full time employment: Posting here.

-5 F Monday morning, +40 F for a high yesterday, +8 F for a low tonight Pick a temperature already. Did not get the freezing rain. Yea. Saw catprints in the snow Monday, a little later saw a gray cat wandering near the barn. Put dog food out for dog and the cat ate it before I let the dog out. Yesterday I was working on a snowblower in the garage and the cat started rubbing my legs. Scared the cr@p out of me. Then It jumped on my lap as I was working at the bench. Cat is not afraid of hammering, sparks from grinding, swearing or being stepped on. Came home last night, opened the car door and I almost instantly had a cat in the car. This morning It followed me into the house. This led to a cat war. I do not need another cat. This cat is a people cat and I would really like to know who dropped it off.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #6674
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trying to get over the jetlag from our rush trip to Australia. My mother died two weeks ago less than a month after her diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. She was only 69 so for all those who say only 1 more year, remember you are living your future now.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #6675
Give me a forum ...

I completed Phase II of the annual "tuneup".
I refer to the annual Mammo (Phase I), Pap (Phase II), and biennial bone density scan (Phase III) as a "tuneup" (points, plugs, and wires). Think about that.
So far so good with Phase I results.

I also have to go see the vampire to the lab for annual blood tests. And wait for the results of a right hand Xray. I hurt my hand about a month ago chipping away at snow and still have a little numbness between my 3rd/4th digits. It's not too painful but it has not resolved itself.

Mr B is zonked out in the recliner again.
I'm sitting here having a nice cold glass of red wine. It's 5 o'clock somewhere in the open Atlantic.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #6676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Trying to get over the jetlag from our rush trip to Australia. My mother died two weeks ago less than a month after her diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. She was only 69 so for all those who say only 1 more year, remember you are living your future now.
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother.

I hope with time and fond memories your heart will heal.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #6677
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How did I miss that post?
I am so sorry for your loss. No BandAids to offer, but try to think of some good times with her to offset the sorrow. She is still in your heart.
I completely understand what you mean by "you are living your future now". I do exactly that.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #6678
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

So sorry to hear about your mother !
Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #6679
Moderator Emeritus

Retail scavenger hunt: 5W-30 motor oil, a can of R-134 refrigerant, assorted heat-shrink tubing (happily the Radio Shack 20-something clerk actually recognized the vocabulary), and a Proteck FCS 4.5x4.312 black starboard thruster for my daughter's surf board. And a carful of library books.

Pretty soon it'll be time for a nap, and then taekwondo after dinner. 17 days until the black-belt test.

I'm going to have to go "all the way" to Haleiwa XCel to try on a 3mm neoprene short-sleeve rash guard. Maybe I'll wait until they go on sale after the winter surf is finished...

Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #6680
Give me a forum ...

Today I went for my first bike ride with my new GPS unit. I got it used for $100 (Garmin Edge 205). It's very neat, you just put it on your bike -- no need for extra wires or sensors, and go. It shows speed, distance, and many other stats. But the best is that at the end of the ride you can very easily upload the data, and it shows maps, elevation, speed profiles, etc.

You can even see where I took a little spin around a parking lot. This technology is mind-blowing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShakeDownCruiseAerial.jpg (74.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg ElevationShakedownCruise.jpg (26.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ShakeDownParkingLot.jpg (28.0 KB, 5 views)