Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #6701
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

bbbAmI, it is beautiful! His family will be so touched to be given this portrait.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #6702
Give me a forum ...

Thanks BTravlin and W2R.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #6703
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Today I sketched the young man
Very nice! You really caught the expression.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #6704
Give me a forum ...

Remember that nice bike I got at a garage sale for Jenny to ride when visiting? Well, when I tried it I liked it better than my bike. So now, that be my bike (Jenny's OK with that).

I went on a nice sunny but cool ride today.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #6705
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Today I sketched the young man I talked about in my post. So here you go Avalon and Vicente.... It didn't photograph too well, but I think it came across good enough to post. Thanks for asking....
Very nice. His family will be honored and you should be proud. Well done.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #6706
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went for a nice long run this morning with DW. We are training for a half marathon (Hibiscus Half Marathon) in Honolulu in May. DW has been having some knee issues so she had to throw in the towel at 10 miles. I kept going, passed the 13.1mi half marathon mark at about 2:35 and then jogged and walked another mile to cool down. I've never really been athletic, so this is a big win for me. The Hibiscus Half is at the end of May, so with a little luck (and with not having to wait for signals or stop at vending machines for water) I think I can get my time under 2:25 by then.

R
Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #6707

Rambler, have you or your wife lost much weight since you started your training? How many miles a week are you doing?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #6708

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
Rambler, have you or your wife lost much weight since you started your training? How many miles a week are you doing?
I've lost maybe 11kg since May last year. I've been running in fits and starts for about 3 years...lose a little, start hurting, stop running, gain it back...etc. Then I found shoes that worked well for me in March last year. No more pain (except for a brief injury in July). Started running a little more in earnest from September, when we were in Hawaii to take DD back to school. (I just love running thru Kapiolani and up and down Waikiki in the morning before the crowds come out).

I have been averaging about 25 miles a week for the past 3 months or so. Some weeks up to 30-32, others as low as 18, such as when I am traveling for work and can't make the time. Targeting an increase to about 30-32 miles per week over the next couple months as time allows.

Gained 5 pounds back during the holidays. Just now coming to the point I was at before Thanksgiving.

DW is 5'2" with a BMI of 22, so not much to lose for her. I could still stand to lose about 18kg or so. I'm pretty sure it will take a year or so. In fact I don't want to lose more than a half kg a week or so. I'm trying to eat healthy, but I am not dieting. Just running (and walking the concourses of the airports when I can't run).

R
Old 01-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #6709
Give me a forum ...

We woke up to 1 foot plus of snow and the sweet sound of the snowplow guy arriving earlier than usual. The sun is shining in brisk 20F temps. It was 14F earlier.
I hustled out to clean off and move the cars out of the way, then shoveled the sidewalk. I earned my next chocolate bar with that exercise. Mr B is still recovering from that nasty flu bug, so he is exempt from shoveling duty for a few more days. I assured him his turn was coming soon.
Today is a lazy day...I did my nails, laughed at the laundry basket , and am thinking of eating out tonight. FIRE is good!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #6710
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We woke up to 1 foot pus of snow...
You really do have a distaste for that stuff, don't you...
Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #6711
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You really do have a distaste for that stuff, don't you...
You caught my typo before I fixed it.
I'm so used to snow it ain't funny. Snowplow service is the berries!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #6712

Woke up rather late. SO said to me "What day is it" and I replied, "I'm pretty sure it's Sunday.

I love these kind of days.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #6713
Moderator Emeritus

We made a 60-mile round trip to visit a "green" home. It had its good points but overall it was a bust.

Green home rises from ashes - Hawaii Features - Staradvertiser.com

In my first reading of the article, I thought it was a LEED home. Upon a more careful reading I realized that it's a "NAHB bronze" certified home. I cynically suspect that's easier to achieve than any level of LEED.

The home was nearly 50 years old when it burned down, and the builder said that he had to work with the $600K insurance settlement. However I'm not sure they got their money's worth-- the floor plan was, to put it politely, horrible. I can't imagine what constraints (or sentiments) compelled them to keep the 1960s layout. They should've jackhammered the foundation, spent the money on an architect, and started over.

For example the house had two separate side entrances, ten feet apart, going up separate staircases (10 feet apart) to the same great room. That room had a third staircase going down to a storage room. It also had a fourth staircase going down to a crawlspace closet and the carport. So hauling groceries required going up two floors of steps to the great room, then back around and down a short flight to the kitchen... or going out of the carport and up the front steps through the front door. The rest of the house had similar design & detail issues that would've driven us nuts-- for example, they could've spent just $1500 to turn the carport into an enclosed two-car garage.

However some energy-efficient features were very good. The windows were impressive-- Andersen vinyl tinted double-pane argon-filled in a variety of casement and awning styles to scoop the max out of the tradewind cooling (no A/C required). The roof was reflective shingles over reflective foil/foam structural panels with a roof vent, and the spaces between the trusses had been sprayed with a 4" layer of icynene foam. Wall insulation, which is unusual in the islands. Water catchment from the rain gutters, but only 50 gallons and not directed at the best irrigation locations. EnergyStar appliances & ceiling fans and CFLs throughout. Solar water heating, of course, but unfortunately no photovoltaic.

We got some good ideas for our house, and the contractor's work seems to be decently executed with great drywall work, but I'd love to hear the story behind that floor plan.

On the way out we met a neighbor who'd made the same drive. (We should've carpooled!) She's never seen our version of "green house" and said she'll be stopping by for a tour.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #6714
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...I had a busy day today.
Thawed pipes, emptied, refilled and ran the dishwasher, washed and hung up 2 loads of laundry, chatted live online, made a tuna fish sandwich lunch, and now am happily goofing off here.
It is WAY too #@!*& cold to even think about going out. But I am sure Mr B will nag convince me to get dressed and go out later.
I will agree ONLY if HE goes out and warms up the car first.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #6715

Went out for a bike ride this morning. I usually run 5 days a week, but the old joints need more rest. At 9AM it was over 60 degrees, Ms G had two of the dogs with her on her run. I took off on some 2 track to the national forest, almost made it to the wilderness. Decided to return in time for lunch.

Red beans and rice, and cole slaw, yummy. Took my nap after lunch, cut myself a big piece of cake to go with a fresh cup of coffee.

Life is good and here I am.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #6716
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hmmm...I had a busy day today.
Thawed pipes, emptied, refilled and ran the dishwasher, washed and hung up 2 loads of laundry, chatted live online, made a tuna fish sandwich lunch, and now am happily goofing off here.
It is WAY too #@!*& cold to even think about going out. But I am sure Mr B will nag convince me to get dressed and go out later.
I will agree ONLY if HE goes out and warms up the car first.
I am way glad I got my new heat vent run to the laundry room before this cold snap or I would have been thawing pipes too. Left a tap dripping a bit last night to keep the water flowing.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #6717
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
I am way glad I got my new heat vent run to the laundry room before this cold snap or I would have been thawing pipes too. Left a tap dripping a bit last night to keep the water flowing.
The full pipe story can be found in the "This Weather Is Awful" thread.
The good news is the pipes are inside the house, so they will never bust open.
The bad news is it is a recurring problem when temps go below zero.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #6718
Gone but not forgotten

On Friday I got a notice from a place I had worked briefly . Apparently there was some money in a 401K . I never contributed to the plan and this was a job I detested . Most of my jobs I 've really liked but not this one . Luckily I was only there briefly and part time so the found money is a bonus . The funny thing is the balance on our Alaska trip and the found money match . So somehow a job I hated is paying for an Alaskan trip I hope I really like .
Old 01-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #6719
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
On Friday I got a notice from a place I had worked briefly . Apparently there was some money in a 401K . I never contributed to the plan and this was a job I detested . Most of my jobs I 've really liked but not this one . Luckily I was only there briefly and part time so the found money is a bonus . The funny thing is the balance on our Alaska trip and the found money match . So somehow a job I hated is paying for an Alaskan trip I hope I really like .
Wooo nice treasure find!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #6720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That's pretty sweet! So when are you going to Alaska? We are going in June, and I am so excited about it!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Closed Thread