Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #6741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo

It's a 40 ft diesel pusher - think of it as a big class B
Why are you selling REWahoo? I thought you and the missus really liked RVing

R

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #6742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Time for something newer and maybe a little different. I'm thinking of a 5th wheel and maybe a new truck.

No way are we giving up RVing.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #6743

Being relatively new at this FIRE stuff (~3 months), I just figured out that DH and I could go out for a movie on a weekday afternoon - what a concept! The King's Speech was terrific - and no lines! Came back and Googled King George VI and Lionel Logue (fascinating stuff), a bit of golf practice in the back yard, then off to church for accountability group and choir practice. Leftovers for dinner while I finished up some volunteer work for our local United Way. And now I get to see what the other FIREds have done today! All is good (especially down here where is is NOT snowing!)
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #6744
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

63 degrees today -- warm enough to get my haircut outside -- no cleanup.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #6745

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Being relatively new at this FIRE stuff (~3 months), I just figured out that DH and I could go out for a movie on a weekday afternoon - what a concept! The King's Speech was terrific - and no lines! Came back and Googled King George VI and Lionel Logue (fascinating stuff), a bit of golf practice in the back yard, then off to church for accountability group and choir practice. Leftovers for dinner while I finished up some volunteer work for our local United Way. And now I get to see what the other FIREds have done today! All is good (especially down here where is is NOT snowing!)
That's what I did yesterday...saw Black Swan...oooooh my eyes!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #6746
Give me a forum ...

I did it! I DID it! I DID IT!!!! The christmas tree is taken down and all stuff boxed and taped and put back up in the crawl space attic. A new record for procrastinating has been set.
Today is my biennial bone density screening. I always have trouble holding still during the scan. No past issues, so this will be a piece of cake. All those years of playing sports and not starving myself (poor nutrition) have paid off.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #6747
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just spent 20 minutes on the phone with an ex customer who retired 20 years ago at age 64. He said he was sitting in his den when he reached for his drink and knocked the coaster off the table. The coaster was an old advertising item we used to mail out to both customers and prospects. Round leather coaster with our company name, contact info, etc etched into it. Anyway, Mike says he's often looked at that coaster and wondered if we were still in business so today he decided to call and find out. Spent awhile filling him in on the nature of the business today. Asked him how retirement was treating him and he said "what's not to like?" Said he's stayed pretty healthy and he has no trouble occupying his time. Pleasant surprise to end the day with.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #6748

For the first time, DW decided she wanted to try using the snow thrower This is her starting on the neighbor's driveway.

It was hard writing the check for that machine but when we have a heavy wet snow like this one I's sure glad I spent the money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow Thrower action 030.jpg (323.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #6749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I loved the "King's Speech". I predict an Oscar sweep. A couple of months ago I read a biography on Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, and it was a very informative read, especially regarding the pivotal role she played during the 1930's and the 1940's.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #6750
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
For the first time, DW decided she wanted to try using the snow thrower This is her starting on the neighbor's driveway.

It was hard writing the check for that machine but when we have a heavy wet snow like this one I's sure glad I spent the money!
Wooo hooo, you go girl!

I have a 14 HP snowblower that sits idle in the garage. Due to Mr B's periodic lower back issues and my tendinitis in both hands, we smartly opted for plowing service. I intend to keep it regardless of the service, just in case the plow guy ever has an equipment problem.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #6751
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just remember, you are still a newbie until you blow the first frozen newspaper.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #6752

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Just remember, you are still a newbie until you blow the first frozen newspaper.
Spoken like a man of experience.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #6753
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Spoken like a man of experience.
Yea - and it makes them incredibly hard to read.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #6754

Quote:

We have it too easy in California weather-wise Walt. I remember shoveling snow when I lived in Reno and it was great fun - a fabulous workout!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #6755
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I remember shoveling snow when I lived in Reno and it was great fun - a fabulous workout!
I think I'll stick with surfing.

One of the reasons I joined the Navy was having to shovel a record series of Pittsburgh snowfalls in the winter of 1977-78...

... so far so good.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #6756
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Time for something newer and maybe a little different. I'm thinking of a 5th wheel and maybe a new truck.

No way are we giving up RVing.
Heh heh heh... Market going up, more people spending money... I like it.

I still do not have much RV experience, but I like the set up of a motor home pulling a toad. It's great to have the smaller vehicle for excursions. And having two motorized vehicles means that one can always drive off to get help if there is a mechanical problem.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #6757
Give me a forum ...

Today is very relaxed...

I need to make up a poster advertising a Pizza Night that Mr B and I will be the cooks for on Feb 12. It was his idea to do a small fundraiser for the Legion Auxiliary. The Aux President is thrilled that we are willing to do this.
All of the ingredients have been identified and are on order. We have a 3rd volunteer to handle money and slice serving duties.
I will be the pizza sauce and cheese tossing girl while he wrassles with airborne dough and flour does the dough rolling and timing of the pie prep and cooking.
This will be FUN! I will try to take a few pics.

I finally got my 1099Rs, so I may take a stab at starting my taxes.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #6758
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday I made 18 pint jars of Sour cherry jam to go with the black current I made last week. Between lots and in spare time I decided to work on my computer. I have a Dell with dual Xeon processors and two gig of ram with raid scsi drives and when running linux (dual boot with XP) after doing the last update anything using flash player was a little flaky. I have a second machine with Intel dual core @3.4 with sata raid and 3 gig of ram and decided to duplicate my linux on that machine as I wanted to see which was actually faster. Install and setup went well except when I ran anything using flash nothing happened. aaarrrggghh. Reinstalled adobe flash same. Changed flash versions same. Dug deep onto things that I really did not want to know. 1:15 this morning went to bed. Very tired and suffering from computer brain fog. At 7:00 AM with oat meal, fruit and toast and fresh cherry jam sat down at the PC. Dug way deep and finally about 8:30 removed gnash flash player. All works fine. Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. So simple.
Went out and moved snow, visited friends, stocked up on diesel, gas, chicken feed and dog food as next week is supposed to be a lousy week weather wise. Hope storm goes south of me. Sorry if that means you but...
Now to install a second sata drive and see if they will raid. New ubuntu is too much like windows. I think I need wine and a nap first.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #6759
Give me a forum ...

I did my taxes today . I am always a little nervous before I do them but it went smoothly . I am pleasantly surprised how little taxes I pay in retirement . Of course that will change when I start taping my IRA .The other thing that surprises me is how my medical adds up . Just my regular meds ,insurance premiums(even with the government paying a large chunk ) ,co-pays and I did have a minor surgery I ended up with a fair amount to deduct.I am getting a refund so it lessens the pain of doing taxes .
Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #6760
Administrator

The young wife and I made 8 lbs of hot Italian sausage in the morning, then went to the movies to see The Kings Speech in the afternoon.