Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A real man doesn't put legumes in chili.
Just checked, Louie and Ralph are still "hanging around" so I guess real men do put legumes in chili after all...

R
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We? Thought you live alone. An SO you are not telling us about here?
Nope....I share the old family homestead with my elderly Mom. She needs to have someone around for assistance, as she can't lift or carry much, and being quite short, she can't reach higher than about the bottom shelves of upper kitchen cabinets...and she is NOT going to be climbing on step stools, chairs, or ladders...a little too unsteady. She's also not able to tackle maintenance or repairs. So she has run of half the house, and I have run of the other half.....we normally share meals together, but otherwise we have our own "spaces", schedules, activities, and what-not, so we tend not to see a lot of each other all that much.

When I'm home, except for eating and sleeping, I spend almost all of my time in the gardens, or in my workshop, or out in my hobby room attached to the workshop. When she's home, she spends most of her time out on the patio (weather permitting), or in the house working puzzles, reading, surfing the internet, watching craft shows or movies on TV, or doing other indoor stuff. But since she's active, there's not a lot of indoor time.

She's always on the go (by herself or with friends)....the gambling boat at least once or twice a month, plays, concerts, AARP functions, bingo, senior center activities, the library, etc. My siblings, nephews, and nieces refer to her 'Granny Go-go' because she's always off and running somewhere! If the weather's nasty out, and she wants to go somewhere, I'll drive her....like doctor appointments, shopping, and of course, to go catch the bus to the afore mentioned gambling boat. Plus I take her to Florida every year for 2 or 3 weeks.....and just like around here, we share quite a few meals together, but she has her friends and activities there, and I have mine, so we don't see a lot of each other there either.

She pretty much takes care of the indoor stuff like cleaning and laundry, mainly because she actually enjoys doing that. And I take care of all the outdoor stuff like lawn and garden work, as well as all the maintenance and upkeep on the old place (inside & out). We share grocery shopping and cooking duties.

The whole arrangement works out well for both of us.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #663
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a winning arrangement.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Nope....I share the old family homestead with my elderly Mom. She needs to have someone around for assistance, as she can't lift or carry much, and being quite short, she can't reach higher than about the bottom shelves of upper kitchen cabinets...and she is NOT going to be climbing on step stools, chairs, or ladders...a little too unsteady. She's also not able to tackle maintenance or repairs. So she has run of half the house, and I have run of the other half.....we normally share meals together, but otherwise we have our own "spaces", schedules, activities, and what-not, so we tend not to see a lot of each other all that much...
The whole arrangement works out well for both of us.
That is so cool. You are a good son.
I lived with my Mom as an adult before I got married in 1984, a few times for a few months. Once she retired, she moved from NY to FL to AZ to CA to VA over the space of 12 years. We had a great time, with different schedules, and we both had complete freedom of activities. We got along famously all except one thing - she always kicked my keister at Scrabble.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #665

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
That is so cool. You are a good son.
That's what I keep telling her!
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We got along famously all except one thing - she always kicked my keister at Scrabble.
We don't play Scrabble, so I'm safe there. However, we do occasionally watch Jeopardy, Trivial Pursuit, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and Wheel of Fortune together, and try to answer before one another and the actual players. It comes out just about a draw between us. We both enjoy those shows, as you have to actually think and so it keeps the brain waves active.....unlike Deal Or No Deal, etc, where a baboon could play the game and win or lose as easily as a human.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #666
Give me a forum ...

Since 8 a.m. (it's 9:34 a.m. now, my time) there have been 8 emergency calls to the police dept. Normally we get maybe 2 in the a.m. All of these calls have been about heart attacks.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #667
Give me a forum ...

Played golf even though it was a little cool. Glad I did, greens keeper covering the greens tomorrow due to cold front moving through. No golf the rest of the week. But, got a book to finish and a couple of others I can knock out by the fire.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #668

Goonie,

How do you make your sweet potato fries? Also what temp and how long?

I think that you and your mom have the perfect arrangement. I don't think that I would care to live alone again. If I were widowed, it would be nice to have someone at the house, but also having my own space and activities.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #669

When I got up this morning, I through the rib tiplets in the crock pot with 2 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, set it on 'high' for an hour while I got cleaned up and ate breakfast. Then switched 'em down to 'low' before I left for coffee with the gang.

After coffee, I went out to the U of I Extension Office and signed up for 11 Telenet classes, from this month through October.....10 on horticultural topics, and 1 on "Saving & Investing in Turbulent Times"....each one is about 2 hours long. They're a nice way to learn, and to socialize a little, and make new friends. They're only $2 each or 3 for $5....I spent a whopping $19 for roughly 22 hours of class time.

Then came home and enjoyed the smell of the riblets simmering in the crock pot while I surfed the 'net......BTW, they were gooooood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
How do you make your sweet potato fries? Also what temp and how long?
I found some pre-cut sweet potato fries in the freezer case at the grocer's a few weeks ago...don't remember the brand...but they come in like a one pound plastic bag. We deep fried the batch we had last time, but this time decided to try them baked. So I put them on a cookie sheet, at 425°F for about 8-10 minutes, turn them all over, and bake for another 8-10 minutes. They turned out OK, but I think I prefer the deep fried version instead. I guess I just have a preference for 'grease'!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #670
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
That's what I keep telling her!

We don't play Scrabble, so I'm safe there. However, we do occasionally watch Jeopardy, Trivial Pursuit, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and Wheel of Fortune together, and try to answer before one another and the actual players. It comes out just about a draw between us. We both enjoy those shows, as you have to actually think and so it keeps the brain waves active.....unlike Deal Or No Deal, etc, where a baboon could play the game and win or lose as easily as a human.
Goonie, it's great that you and your Mom have such a great relationship.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #671
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday, I caught a bug (D&V) and had to ask a colleague to cover for me in the ICU. All done with today, thank goodness. Pleasant day at work today: most of my patients actually got better!

Currently (8 pm) waiting for a family to come in to discuss an important decision. Am working (and now goofing off) in my office in an empty building. Odd thing happened: a barking and wailing dog in the office directly overhead. Called security, they are sorting it out. Maybe the surgeon whose office it is brought her dog to the office when coming to do a late surgery!

Looking forward to going home in a few hours, but not to going out, because it's minus 40 something out there.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #672
Give me a forum ...

the winter hibernator emerges......today is weekly Chinese buffet day with former co-w*rkers, the good sort.
there goes the diet...
it is sunny, NOT snowing, but PDC (pretty darn cold) out.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #673
Moderator Emeritus

Got the ATV hung up on a tree stump plowing snow. Didn't have my crutches with me, so I had to crawl the 500 feet up the driveway to the house. Got in my Jeep, pulled out the ATV and plowed the rest of the drive. Took more than an hour to drive the 25 miles to work in a snowstorm. Got there at noon. Taking stuff home to work on for a few days. And to think DW made my reschedule my AZ trip to stay here in Il.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #674
Give me a forum ...

God I'm out of shape. Just raked my pine straw in the back yard and worn out. I'll haul them to the curb tomorrow. Daddy needs a nap.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
God I'm out of shape. Just raked my pine straw in the back yard and worn out. I'll haul them to the curb tomorrow. Daddy needs a nap.

You'll get in GREAT SHAPE if ya start WALKING the golf course.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You'll get in GREAT SHAPE if ya start WALKING the golf course.........
And carry a golf bag loaded down with my meds? Forget it.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #677

Yesterday ran a bunch of errands, renew tags for the pickup, bought furnace air filters, washed the truck, and since it was warm (44 F) took the motorcycle out for some more practice.

Went to the golf course parking lot about a half mile away and practiced slow turns and figure eights, and got confident enough to lean it over far enough to scrape the left floorboard on the pavement. The floorboards have springs on them so they will lift up when that happens. This is a heavy bike (665 lbs dry) so more practice is in order. Brought it back home and put it in the shed since the weather will be too cold to ride for as far out as the forecast goes. DW was complaining that it takes too much room in the garage and admittedly it's a tight fit to get all three vehicles in there.

Today used the kerosene heater in the garage and detailed the truck. First claybar it, then wax, then a spray wax to get the swirls out, then detail brushes to get the wax out from around decals and door handles, etc. Almost six years old, and it looks like it was delivered yesterday! Next warm spell it's DW's car's turn.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #678
Give me a forum ...

Spent time at my second volunteer place...the court. I verify auto insurance coverage for the folks that had received citations and did not have proof of insurance when they were stopped. I found out that a person can screw up bad enough that they can't get insurance on their car but can be insured to protect other people's vehicles. I learn something new everyday....

This afternoon, just putzed around.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
And carry a golf bag loaded down with my meds? Forget it.

Ok. However, I am saving a little extra for my retirement so I can purcahse overpriced beer from pretty cart girls, enabling me to walk.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #680

Yesterday I got out the snow-blower, for only the 2nd time this Winter, and cleared the sidewalks and driveway of 3.5" of very light, fluffy snow....even though it was still snowing at that time....at least it was a balmy 11° outside! I figured get the worst of it before the winds picked up, and made it into higher drifts. Went out a couple hours later when the clouds left & the sun came out, and swept off the 1/2" that fell after my snow-blowing trek....and also threw down a little "ice melt". This morning our sidewalks & driveway are clean & dry....unlike our all of our neighbors'!

Later on today when it warms up a tad....above -10° maybe.....I'm going to venture out to the grocery store for milk & eggs, and hit the coffee shop. (It was -17° when I crawled outta bed at 9 a.m., sure glad I don't hafta get out early and go to work in this anymore!!! )

I guess I'll spend the day goofing off...again, and maybe get the Christmas tree and decoration taken down and stored away.....even though it's only 49 weeks 'til Christmas, and we usually put it up the day after Thanksgiving which is only 45 weeks from today! Heck, with it being that near, maybe I oughta just leave it up!
Closed Thread