Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #6781
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some friends brought me on a local hiking trail just above the city. It's the El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area. It's a hidden gem. It's beautiful this time of year when the grass is green in California.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EC-Hills-5.jpg (125.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg EC-Hills-7.jpg (114.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg EC-Hills-8.jpg (54.2 KB, 3 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #6782

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Some friends brought me on a local hiking trail just above the city. It's the El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area. It's a hidden gem. It's beautiful this time of year when the grass is green in California.
Sigh.

This is the view from the deck on the back a few minutes ago and the forecast is even worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Creek out back 002.jpg (245.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Creek out back 003.jpg (208.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Creek out back 004.jpg (228.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #6783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sigh.

This is the view from the deck on the back a few minutes ago and the forecast is even worse.
I grew up in CT and I have pleasant nostalgic memories of snow when I was a kid. As an adult I prefer the CA weather. If I want snow I can drive to the Sierras. Nice view though . . .
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #6784
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're thinking about Berkeley Springs as a potential site for a home if we ever decide to leave the beach and move closer to the family. You aren't helping.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #6785

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We're thinking about Berkeley Springs as a potential site for a home if we ever decide to leave the beach and move closer to the family. You aren't helping.
Other than the months of January, February and perhaps early March, we love the area. So with cold weather like this we just hunker down into "hibernation mode" and wait for Spring.

Berkeley Springs is a gorgeous area but traffic on Rt. 522 can be a bit of a pain since it's a tourist area too. But a motorcycle ride westbound there on Rt 9 and beyond is good way to spend a day.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #6786
Give me a forum ...

Mr B and I went to a Mennonite store in Lairdsville NY for some seriously good cold cuts and cheese. The cold cuts are shipped in from Lancaster PA.
Somehow a bottle of Kutztown (PA) real black cherry soda and authentic birch beer jumped into my basket.

We are watching the local news right now and just chilling out at home.

I discovered that I am not nearly as bored as this guy...

http://utica-mohawkvalley.ynn.com/content/top_stories/492044/25-foot-tall-snowman-becomes-tourist-attraction/
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #6787
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Ran some errands as next two days are forecast to be various forms of ice (maybe some snow also).
Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #6788
Full time employment: Posting here.

Considering (read: arguing w/hubby) purchasing a rental property. Does not sound appealing to me.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #6789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Considering (read: arguing w/hubby) purchasing a rental property. Does not sound appealing to me.
Girl, stand your ground! It is w*rk in the worst form. We're selling all three of our properties this year to get rid of this constant headache...

YMMV
Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #6790
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the green. Gives us some hope for spring! We're like Walt:

[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #6791
Give me a forum ...

Time to post this song again.

But as martyb noted, is California always that green?

I remember one year in the earlier 80s, we were on a road trip to Seattle, and of course also visited SF as it was on the way. But we wanted to spend the night in San Jose, hence did not continue on Freeway 5 that would have taken us to SF via Oakland. At Merced, we took 152, then 101 north to San Jose. The scenery was beautiful, with green rolling hills, and cows grazing. It was so peaceful and romantic, for a city dweller like me.

A few years later, we took the same road again. This time, CA was in a drought, and it was also in late summer. I could not believe it. Where were the green fields that we saw? Everything was brown. The reservoir we passed by and could see from the highway had low water level, exposing its ugly bank with debris. I checked and checked my map to see if I had made a mistake.

It was sad, and reminded me of this song.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #6792
Gone but not forgotten

Today I had my Happy Hour party . It was a great success . We sipped wine and munched on appetizers overlooking the river on a perfect night . Lots of laughs so I think everybody had a great time and the best part no clean up .
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #6793
Give me a forum ...

Today is definitely a stick close to home day.
Mr B needs to go help with a newsletter in the early PM, so he is taking the 4WD Jeep just in case that weather system arrives sooner than expected.
I'm hunkering down here and plan to start entering data for my taxes to kill time.
I got my bone density results and was told to start increasing my calcium intake through diet. No significant bone loss, but enough so supplements may be in order if diet changes do not w*rk out.
I have a container of Ricotta cheese that needs to be used before Feb 12, so Plan B could be making cheese blintzes from scratch.
Hmmm...tough choice...taxes or cooking?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #6794

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But as martyb noted, is California always that green?
CA is definitely not always green. Winter is the rainy season. Summer is the dry season. In summer every blade of grass dies and the hills take on a different beauty. Another reason to call it the "Golden State". The type of hillside grass we have here will go to seed and die even if we have late rains into June.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #6795
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
rentals are great if you don't mind staying home and being on call all the time.... cell phone service + extensive phonebook of drain cleaners,plumbers, carpenters,electricians etc + perfect cell coverage + mototaxi and you will be just fine
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #6796

Quote:
I live just a few miles from you martyp. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get out of the house a bit! I'm thinking of a trip to the top of Vollmer Peak in Tilden Park - great view from there. I'll have to try out your suggestion too.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #6797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm thinking of a trip to the top of Vollmer Peak in Tilden Park - great view from there.
I keep hearing about Vollmer Peak. I will have to put that one on my list.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #6798

Quote:
I keep hearing about Vollmer Peak. I will have to put that one on my list.
It's the highest point in the hills above Berkeley. The view over the Bay Area from there is fabulous. You'll love it!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #6799
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It's the highest point in the hills above Berkeley. The view over the Bay Area from there is fabulous. You'll love it!
The view from Mt. Diablo is, also, quite nice. Plenty of hiking to be done there, too.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #6800
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I didn't make it to the mailbox because of the %^&* ice.