what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to do outings regularly, as in at least several times a month, though it will be harder when the rains come.

I find myself clowning with my G-daughter the same way he clowned with me. At first, I had no idea where I was getting it, but later I realized I had received it with love from him, and was sending it with love to her, 65 years later. And she giggles the same way I did back then.

Ha

What a great outing ! I love my grandson but due to distance visits are limited to a few a year but they are concentrated and we have lots of fun.
Grandchildren are the best treasure you can have !

We signed up for this, but... groan.

The contractors have demolished our old familyroom roof & back lanai. The new roof beams are up and about half of the rafters are up. (That's really good!) Next Monday they should finish with the rafters and start thinking about putting on the the planked ceiling.

However that planked ceiling is 1152 sq ft (more or less) of painting that's a lot easier to do on the ground than over our heads. So when the contractors finish cutting a beam or a rafter, we've been priming it. Spouse had to push pretty hard to keep up last weekend (I was on travel!) but this weekend even two of us are hard-pressed.

Thursday evening we got rained out. Friday evening we barely finished painting eight 4x8s (256 sq ft) before sundown (and getting them under cover before more rain). Today we've finished another 256 sq ft (back under cover before the rain) and in another 15 minutes we're goin' in for the second set. If we do this on schedule (rain permitting) then we should be finished by late Sunday afternoon.

On Monday we're going to be scampering up onto the remains of the old roof (among the already-primed new beams & rafters) to try to paint the final color (while the access is easier) before the ceiling goes on. Then on Tuesday they're going to be cutting grooves into all 36 4x8s (for that planked-ceiling look that's already in our livingroom) and of course those grooves will need primer before the whole sheet gets a coat of color.

Doing the painting by ourselves is saving a lot of money & time, as well as making us feel that it's getting done right. But the last time we've done this amount of painting under time pressure was easily 15 years ago, and this time it takes a lot more ibuprofen...

Yesterday was a granddaughter day.

I find myself clowning with my G-daughter the same way he clowned with me. At first, I had no idea where I was getting it, but later I realized I had received it with love from him, and was sending it with love to her, 65 years later. And she giggles the same way I did back then.

Ha

What a lovely post, Ha!

Busy busy busy here.
I did my Friday night table bussing routine. I can really feel the muscles in my legs and upper body toning up from 4 hours of rapid walking around 2 dining rooms and carrying loads of dishes to and fro. :D I'm careful not to carry too much at a time until I am in better shape. Only 1 broken dinner plate so far. :blush:
Yesterday I set up my repaired Playstation 3. I need to figure out how to configure it with the existing wireless network in the house. I've never done this, so it will be a good mental challenge.
Mr B is still at the books, for hours on end. He is staying right on track with reading and assignments.
I'm going to get out of the house today and go play some pool and darts with friends. Mr B needs the house nice and quiet.

I'm an usher at a summer concert venue and last night was a sold out Jason Aldean concert. I never heard of him, he's a country artist. Sounded great and the crowd was pretty nice. Saw a lot of beer drinking and many wobbly fans. The temperature got down to mid 50's by the time it was over and today I'm sore from standing on concrete for 5 hours.

Last Tuesday the concert was Blink-182. They are hard to describe, maybe 90's rock band with a sense of humor. Instead of working as an usher the Security dept needed help so I worked for them and I had the best spot in the venue. I was posted outside of the drummer's dressing room. He's Travis Barker, very well known in the drumming world. I had to check the security passes for anyone going into his dressing room. He had a drum set in there and I got to hear his warm up which was fantastic. He's got a distinctive style. His band mate came by for a chat and the band in the next hallway was My Chemical Romance which I have heard of but I don't know their music.

When it was time for Blink-182 to go on stage Mr. Barker walked out with his bodyguard and waved his sticks at me. Nice!

I usually usher for The Cleveland Orchestra concerts at this venue but at the end of the season when all the college kids leave I'll work a few of the rock or country shows. There is one more on Wednesday and then we are done for the season.

We were going to go to an air show on Sunday at Martinsburg Airport but that was canceled because of a crash the day before. Not as much press as the one in Reno but no less tragic.

So we had a lazy/late starting day and went to Greenbriar State Park in Maryland and walked around for a few hours.

We were going to go to an air show on Sunday at Martinsburg Airport but that was canceled because of a crash the day before. Not as much press as the one in Reno but no less tragic.

So we had a lazy/late starting day and went to Greenbriar State Park in Maryland and walked around for a few hours.

There seems to have been a rash of fatalities recently. We lost Amanda Franklin earlier this year. Her husband Kyle, who was piloting the Waco that crashed is already performing again in a Super Cub.

We are airshow fans and usually attend several each year. Currently on the calendar, CAF in Midland/Odessa and a couple of weeks later, Ft Worth Alliance.

Last night DH got home from a bike trip to New Mexico with his buds (first pic buds only, DH is not in the photo). The guy on the left owns a restaurant, the one in the middle is an electrical engineer and yes, the guy on the right is a TX state trooper. :D

While they were there, a parade of bikers went through town. The other pics are of the more colorful parade riders. :LOL:

Attachments

• DSC02582.jpg
    DSC02582.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC02599.jpg
    DSC02599.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02600.jpg
    DSC02600.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02603.jpg
    DSC02603.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
In SLC Utah today. Hotel tonight and will update the blog.

While they were there, a parade of bikers went through town. The other pics are of the more colorful parade riders. :LOL:

Aw, c'mon. We all know that is hubby on the trike, in the wig. :D

The guy on the left owns a restaurant, the one in the middle is an electrical engineer and yes, the guy on the right is a TX state trooper. :D
So, the trooper has a picture taken of the 'days catch' right before they're loaded up and hauled off? Cool. I've always heard Texas is a friendly state. :)

We dropped Jenny off at SLC airport, so now we can relax a little bit. Words can't say how special this trip has been. It's going to take a while to get the blog up to date, but I just can't resist a few preview pictures here.

img_1113080_0_653a756dba98bb68a0b9bd18a3bb4c97.jpg

img_1113080_1_e14a4728f43d929e35b3d3f747b67092.jpg

img_1113080_2_d6d50441faa8f7a3fdef1dbc8c42793a.jpg

img_1113080_3_b44b3cae65972a7793f93b4b2f220b88.jpg

Aw, c'mon. We all know that is hubby on the trike, in the wig. :D
That's not a wig.....:angel:....... :LOL:

So, the trooper has a picture taken of the 'days catch' right before they're loaded up and hauled off? Cool. I've always heard Texas is a friendly state. :)
:D

Three hots and a cot....you can't beat that!

Last edited:
...Yesterday I set up my repaired Playstation 3. I need to figure out how to configure it with the existing wireless network in the house. I've never done this, so it will be a good mental challenge.

I read the PS3 manual to understand how it could be configured via a wireless Internet connection. I got Mr B to show me how to find what devices were already on our wireless LAN and what an access point wireless device was (versus a wired router), how the MAC address and IP address assignments w*rk, and exactly what WEP encryption meant. I had seen these terms many times, but never quite fully understood how it all came together.

I explored the setup menu on the PS3, typed in the necessary info, and voila...the PS3 is now fully functional thru the wireless LAN. I created an online Playstation account, then downloaded SuperStardust HD (modern version of Asteroids), Space Invaders (souped up version of the original), and am waiting for Galaga to finish downloading. :D
UPDATE: I just played the easiest level of Galaga. I have never seen such beautiful and vivid color graphics before. Somebody really put a lot of artistic talent into this game.
Astounding art!

I only want the classic arcade games offered for the PS3, not the modern shooter/role play/puzzle stuff.

I no longer feel helpless about my home network settings, routers, wireless access points, and the overall LAN configuration.

Freebird 10 Technology Challenger 0
:dance:

Last edited:
I painted the edges around the fireplace, curtain rod, window and ceiling in another corner of my living room. Taking a break for an hour to rest my hands and then the first wall coat goes on.
I am milking this painting project to the max. My self imposed deadline is when I can't keep the windows open to dispel the smell of paint.
FIRE means you do things when you want, how you want, and nobody ever gets to tell you it's taking too long. :LOL:

:dance:

Spent the day setting up a dome for my telescope and other astronomy equipment on the deck. Planning to build a more permanent building for the dome next spring but decided to set up on the deck for this winter, here are some pictures.

img_1113401_0_a642f788769c71b99423efd6d38bfbbb.jpg

img_1113401_1_8d90207c55fd687470b3c4bcb450c0db.jpg

img_1113401_2_4f19c009504d6e521b20be1df5c704bf.jpg

img_1113401_3_1b3c260e28dfe90201960e0a4de8ca7f.jpg

Hi from Hawthorne, NV. Our blog is live, although a few days behind. Watch for updates:

Utah Car/Bike Trip

Al! How fun! It brings back many memories...like the "reveler's campground" (our name) near Las Vegas...hmmm, about 8 years ago. I can still hear that party near our tent that went on deep into the next morning.

Time to get travelin'

Thanks so much for your fun trip diary:greetings10:

We dropped Jenny off at SLC airport, so now we can relax a little bit. Words can't say how special this trip has been. It's going to take a while to get the blog up to date, but I just can't resist a few preview pictures here.

img_1113452_0_653a756dba98bb68a0b9bd18a3bb4c97.jpg

They have beer in Utah?

Took the train from Durango to Silverton and back.
About 40% of the leaves have changed.
Scenery was beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom