Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #6841
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova

Thanks Al. That is a terrific blog and I added it to my favorites. Think I'm going to have to try this. Did you have any smoke for cooking at 500 degrees for the first 20 minutes? Curious, what was the weight of your roast and was it done in 50 minutes.
Not much noticeable smoke, but the smoke alarm did go off. I don't remember how much it weighed, but it was the same size as the one in the photo. It was indeed done after 50 minutes. It's been great for snacks, and we got the referenced book from the libe today.

From ipod.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #6842
Give me a forum ...

I am trying to eat healthier food. Been frequenting the organic store recently. Not for what is there, but what isn't.

Anyhow....lunch was panfried sole fillet with steamed sweet potato, carrot and ginger, and sauteed kale, garnished with a slice of lemon. No sauce of any kind. Tasty and nutritious! I'm feeling holier than thou!

I had too many veggies so I pulverized them and added some organic low salt chicken broth. That will be soup for tomorrow and the next day.

Kale is delicious but the stems are too woody and give me a tummyache. I use only the leaves.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #6843
Give me a forum ...

I got two full pickup-truck-loads of free pine firewood from a craigslist ad. I had to do a lot of chainsawing and lifting and driving, but this sure saves tons of money. But someday I'm going to decide I'm too old for this.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #6844
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finished closing out the 2010 books on my business. Broke down and started on taxes after that. Didn't finish but made good headway. Shoot me now.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #6845
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am trying to eat healthier food. Been frequenting the organic store recently. Not for what is there, but what isn't.

Anyhow....lunch was panfried sole fillet with steamed sweet potato, carrot and ginger, and sauteed kale, garnished with a slice of lemon. No sauce of any kind. Tasty and nutritious! I'm feeling holier than thou!

I had too many veggies so I pulverized them and added some organic low salt chicken broth. That will be soup for tomorrow and the next day.

Kale is delicious but the stems are too woody and give me a tummyache. I use only the leaves.
Most recipes I have seen for kale call for it to be parboiled then plunged in an ice bath. Water is squeezed out afterwards and it is then added to whatever it is you are cooking. There were a few recipes that I read only today in the NYT. One was slow-cooked kale and beans and the other was a mushroom and egg casserole with chopped kale.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #6846
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I got two full pickup-truck-loads of free pine firewood from a craigslist ad. I had to do a lot of chainsawing and lifting and driving, but this sure saves tons of money. But someday I'm going to decide I'm too old for this.
Don't you worry about creosote buildup using pine for firewood? My brother used to be a chimney sweep, and said most of the chimney fires he heard about were from people burning pine.

Edit: I've been reading up on this (google), and it sounds like pine, properly seasoned, actually has less creosote than hardwoods. I guess the properly seasoned piece is the important part. So, just an old chimneysweep's tale.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #6847

Sorry to you people in the snow belt but it was in the mid 70's today in the San Francisco Bay Area. Went for a motorcycle ride. I dodged a speeding ticket. I was going more than I said but substantially less than the said.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #6848
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Sorry to you people in the snow belt but it was in the mid 70's today in the San Francisco Bay Area. Went for a motorcycle ride. I dodged a speeding ticket. I was going more than I said but substantially less than the said.
We got up to 63 today, so I wore just a sweater and no coat. It was delightful. But, it will drop down below freezing later this week.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #6849
Moderator Emeritus

Survived the black belt test. It actually went pretty quickly at "only" 5 hours and 45 minutes. Everyone came through, although one or two of them came awfully close to being killed by classmate peer pressure.

I maintained hydration & weight, I didn't permanently injure anything, and my forms are better than ever. I've been on ibuprofen for 24 hours and might keep that up for another day before my legs stop complaining. At least I can roll over in my sleep without waking myself up from the whimpering.

The first black belt test (two years ago) with my daughter was a lot more fun. Camaraderie through shared adversity, a common goal, a new experience. She was under self-imposed pressure to put "black belt" on her college application and I enjoyed the vicarious thrill. This time it was just for me and I knew what I was getting into so the anticipation was far worse than the actual experience. I know I need to keep doing taekwondo for the speed & agility & reflexes, but I'm having a difficult time discerning the value in going higher. That's why I'm writing this down-- so that I can review my thoughts in a couple years when my memories have faded to a rosy glow and it's time to sign up for the 3rd dan test.

Next Saturday we're doing the public ceremony with a demonstration of our forms plus breaking wood & bricks. I'm not big on spinning & agility but it's been suggested that I have the knife hands for 2-3 pieces of wood (inch-thick pine planks), the axe kick for 3-4 pieces, the punch for another 2-3 pieces, and the side kick for four (all done in sequence). We'll follow that with a palm strike for four bricks. I've done those kicks but the hand techniques will be a learning experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
So... have you told your daughter what she's doing next time she visits?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #6850
Give me a forum ...

Right, I get almost no creosote buildup. I clean the chimney myself once a year, and have a real chimney sweep inspect it every few years.

ChimneyBrushWithRods.jpg
Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #6851
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Nords!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #6852
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Congrats Nords!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #6853
Give me a forum ...

Today is housecleaner day. It's been 6 weeks (versus the usual 4 weeks) and the house really needs a top to bottom cleaning.

I may finish up a few stray entries I need to do on my federal taxes, and dig up some cost basis records from my file cabinet. Then all I need to finish up is the data download from VG brokerage and mutual funds. I do it all at once so I don't get duplicate entries. That happened to me a few years back. My guess is it was operator error (me) .

It's warm enough here for some melting of snow to be going on. We decided to hold off our trip to MA until the last week of February. There were too many huge snowstorms in succession out there this winter, so we will let the winter to spring transition move along a little more before we venture east.
Melt damned snow melt!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #6854

Congratulations Nords.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #6855
Moderator Emeritus

Bugs! In the real world, even!

I had another alder die from borer infestation. The damn bugs seem to be resistant to treatment. So, I've had to cut down the tree, chop the branches and logs, and packed the whole infested mess off for disposal.

I think I'll take a nap this afternoon. Maybe some ibuprofen and a zinfandel chaser...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #6856

Arrived home after midnight from my cruise. Left this.....and came back to very cold weather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0636.jpg (717.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #6857

Bought a bunch of plumbing supplies in preparation for a 4 hour drive to rescue DD's house. She's away, her new HEGF failed. Her neighbor was checking the house and caught it, furnace was fixed but not before the pipes froze.

I have too much time in this to let "just anyone" fix it.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #6858

Did some wade fishing over at Goose Island State Park, near our rental house in Rockport, Texas. Had a ball.........caught maybe 35-40 spotted seatrout, kept 5 for a few meals. Weather is improving down here after a 4-5 day cold snap last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5363.jpg (690.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #6859
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Did some wade fishing over at Goose Island State Park, near our rental house in Rockport, Texas. Had a ball.........caught maybe 35-40 spotted seatrout, kept 5 for a few meals. Weather is improving down here after a 4-5 day cold snap last week.
So did you go for a walk down Stinky Beach?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #6860
Give me a forum ...

Well........moving into my 2nd week of no golf. Cold wet weather getting old. Actually was warm enough Sunday, but too wet. Suppose to be 50 tomorrow, so might layer up and try it.

Closed Thread