Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #6861
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
So did you go for a walk down Stinky Beach?
Yes, we did walk down Stinky Beach before I went fishing!! I was fishing closer to the pier. I guess they call it Stinky Beach because of all the seagrass that accumulates and begins to smell at certain times of the year, huh? No smell there today.........very nice on Stinky Beach this afternoon.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #6862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE
Did some wade fishing over at Goose Island State Park, near our rental house in Rockport, Texas. Had a ball.........caught maybe 35-40 spotted seatrout, kept 5 for a few meals. Weather is improving down here after a 4-5 day cold snap last week.
Nice fish! Did they taste good?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #6863
Give me a forum ...

Today is Go Auburn Day. No, I'm not becoming a college sports fan.

I am getting an auburn color j*b today. I used a home formula a few months ago and loved the look. This time I am having a hairdresser do it to keep the dye out of my sink and shower. What a mess that was to clean up.
I am going with a semi permanent color formula, i.e. it will fade over time. No heavy duty peroxide for this kid.
My hair grows very quickly, so I don't want to be bothered with roots touchups. The rinse is the better idea.
The greys will take on the color 100%, so I will end up with very cool highlights at my temples.
I feel like a little girl going for my first perm.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #6864
Give me a forum ...

We had a great sunny, cool, and windy bike ride today. Sometimes everything just clicks, and the riding feels great. Photo here.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #6865

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Nice fish! Did they taste good?
Hi Al - yep, they were very good. Being a northerner from Michigan, I am not very familiar with most of the fish species down here in Texas (either how to catch them or how they taste). So I am learning as I go, but I can tell you that redfish and spotted seatrout are both fun to catch, as well as good eating.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #6866
Give me a forum ...

I shoveled about 6 inches of snow off the cover on my outdoor jacuzzi. It was melting, i.e. snow over slush over water. That is way too much weight on the cover.
I let the snow on the surrounding deck get too deep while I was sick in early January, so it will require some warmer weather to melt down some of that snow.
The good news is the deep snow will insulate it and use less energy. It is a thick walled HotSprings jacuzzi with a 3 inch thick cover. I will be out there using it again very soon.

UPDATE: I saw the very beginnings of buds emerging on my lilac trees. Spring is not so far away.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #6867
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse is on the Mainland this week (a non-profit volunteer meeting) so I'm left to my own entertainment devices. Today it's pruning a mango tree, which should fill up four or five green-waste cans within a couple hours. That'll be followed by one more night of taekwondo practice before Saturday's black-belt promotion ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Arrived home after midnight from my cruise. Left this.....and came back to very cold weather.
The people in that photo appear to be wearing pants and shoes. To me that is very cold weather...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #6868

Nords, you would love it here, where I am today...23 degress and nice and sunny. It's a pretty winter day. You probably would need to add a couple more layers of clothing than what is shown in the picture. Florida was VERY nice and warm, I believe it was about 82 when I left. It was so nice.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #6869
Moderator Emeritus

Gaah! What does it MEAN?

I'm not doing much today, just a little housework, but I keep going back to a dream I had last night. This was a job-related dream. No, not the job I left 3 years ago, but more like 35 years ago. Back then I was in the Navy, as a 'nuke' on submarines.

In the dream, I was standing watch at the Electric Plant Control Panel. For some reason the panel was in the wrong place, so I had my back to everyone else in the room. There was some sort of evolution in progress, and I thought to myself, "I'd better get ready." Then I reached up and opened both AC breakers on the motor-generator sets. It immediately occurs to me that I shouldn't have done that. (No kidding!) I turn toward where the Engineering Officer of the Watch should be, and I notice that I'm alone in the Maneuvering space. Huh. I grab one of the 2x4s (2x4s? Wood?) by the panel and swing out to look around the corner. Nobody there. I pick up the 2MC and pass the word, "Watchstanders, please come to Maneuvering." I wake up, dripping with sweat.

OK, that was weird. Really weird. Manifestation of free-floating anxiety from three decades ago? Too much espresso yesterday? Bad cheese? Damifino...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #6870
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday on our bike ride we saw one of these birds:

Apparently it's a northern harrier. The white patch was quite clear. He/she was flying in the strong wind in loops in the dunes by be beach.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #6871
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Gaah! What does it MEAN?
I wake up, dripping with sweat.

OK, that was weird. Really weird. Manifestation of free-floating anxiety from three decades ago? Too much espresso yesterday? Bad cheese? Damifino...
The navy has a shortage of qualified Nukes. Report to Groton post haste.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #6872
Give me a forum ...

Managed to get out of bed around 10:15 a.m. A couple of hours later had eggs and toast for breakfast. Since I was still in my robe I decided to take a nice, long, hot shower.

Ate some chocolate pudding while I watched a car auction on tv. A Shelby Cobra (the only one of its kind) sold for $5,000,000.00. (I could have said five million, but it gave me a bit of a thrill to post all those 0's.)

Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #6873
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Nords, you would love it here, where I am today...23 degress and nice and sunny. It's a pretty winter day. You probably would need to add a couple more layers of clothing than what is shown in the picture. Florida was VERY nice and warm, I believe it was about 82 when I left. It was so nice.
Glad you had some warm weather in FL.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #6874

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
A Shelby Cobra (the only one of its kind) sold for $5,000,000.00. (I could have said five million, but it gave me a bit of a thrill to post all those 0's.)
A guy here in my area made the news a few years ago when he bought an antique car for $4.5 million. He collects truly unique (first/fastest/only) classics, and that was just his latest acquisition.

I got a chance to visit his garage last year, because an old friend of mine has a family connection to one of the cars in the collection. I was absolutely blown away! There must be somewhere between $50 million and $100 million worth of cars in that garage (it's about half a football field in area). Every one is special in some way. Just astounding.

One of the utterly amazing things about his collection is that every single one of his cars is street legal, licensed, and driven at least once a year. How many collectors go to that much trouble?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #6875

Was at the Humane Society this morning taking pictures of dogs ready for adoption.

Then a bus trip into Seattle for a doctors appointment -- perfect day for it. Clear skies with lots of snow on the mountain ranges.

Tonight: Trivia with friends in Kirkland.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #6876
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
One of the utterly amazing things about his collection is that every single one of his cars is street legal, licensed, and driven at least once a year. How many collectors go to that much trouble?
Man...no kidding! He truly enjoys his passion...good for him!

I've got passion too, but not the mega bucks kind. 'Course then again it wouldn't do me any good if I did....
Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #6877
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Today was cold and sunny.
Yesterday was cold and cloudy and the electricity was off for 7 hours; it was 45F indoors and I was packing to move to a shelter when the power came on.
Maybe I need a ventless manual gas heater.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #6878
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finally canceled the home land line. 100% cell phone now.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #6879

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Finally canceled the home land line. 100% cell phone now.
That's funny - about a year ago I did the exact opposite - canceled the cell and got a landline.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #6880

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Thank you for the link to this, Al. I made this for dinner tonight and it was FANTASTIC!

I am not a great cook. I have no sense of smell and very little sense of taste. This turned out wonderfully with very little effort. I used a small eye of round roast and my digital meat thermometer died when I tried to use it. DH ran out to the local grocery store and picked up a new old fashioned analog one and the final temp was right around 140, which was perfectly medium for me. Very juicy and tender.

I had mine sliced thin in a rye bread sandwich. DH had thicker slices with a baked potato. We have some left over for slicing tomorrow for lunch.

Mighty fine dinner.