Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #6921
Full time employment: Posting here.

We planted 250 long leaf pine seedlings by hand today. Only 500 to go.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #6922

DW and I took walked our dog for about 3 miles. I read a book and watched CNBC. Also, finished shoveling the snow off of the sidewalk.

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #6923
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On vacation, I layed out on Lido Beach then Siesta Key beach. Siesta Key has the best beach i've ever seen. It was 78 degrees and very busy. Tuesday I went to Clearwater beach. It was a little chilly at under 70 degrees with a cool breeze but a very nice beach. Saturday i'll be going to the Atlantic side of Florida. Daytona beach will be crazy busy because of the Daytona 500 so I think i'll go further south to Cocoa Beach area. Maybe i'll go as far as Vero beach but don't want to drive any further than that.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #6924
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rib-eye with blue cheese and butter, highly recommended:

Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #6925

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Rib-eye with blue cheese and butter, highly recommended:
Yum yum! My favorite.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #6926
Recycles dryer sheets

The a/c in our truck hasn't been working well- only blowing out the defrost vents. I had chosen to ignore it, but DW mentioed it several times. Did research on an online board that is all about Ford Diesel trucks. It is a common problem, truck has an electric vacuum pump that eventually fails.
I almost went to the dealer to get a replacement, but since it was early I did some internet price shopping. Wow!! Dealer price= $366. Best internet price= $65, Amazon Prime.

Dreaming of ways to spend my savings......
Old 02-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #6927

Worked on 2010 income tax. Having trouble with Turbo Tax this year. Since we don't itemize (have used standard deduction for a long time), we cannot deduct property taxes. Feds eliminated this deduction unless you itemize. However, Turbo Tax software still allows me to post the property taxes. If this is wrong, what else have they screwed up. Now I don't trust it. Anyone else have a problem like this?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #6928
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Johnnie, TurboTax allows you to enter all possible deductible expenses, then recommends whether you should take the std deduction or itemize.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #6929
Administrator

Johnnie, REWahoo is right but still, I feel your pain! I did my taxes yesterday with TurboTax. For some reason it seemed like it was fighting back more than in previous years, and even did so when I tried to do simple things sometimes. I was so aggravated. Luckily after a valiant battle I won, and ended up with unexpected refunds.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #6930

Finally, some decent weather! 200+ miles on the motorcycle on WV back roads yesterday.

I feel much better now.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #6931

Thanks you for the replies. I was not aware that Turbo Tax allowed you to enter ALL the possible tax deductions and then not allow it in final calculation. You would think they would have some kind of notification since the g'mnt just disallowed it at year end by not extending that tax break. Also, as far as Turbo Tax is concerned, I went to their help site with this and never got a reply. W2R, I also find Turbo Tax not too "user friendly" this year. I fought them a lot on rental property. In my situation, we bought a new home on 12-30-2009, rented our old house in April 2010 and sold it to the renters 12-1-2010. It was not easy navigating this scenario through Turbo Tax. I'm still not sure it is correct.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #6932
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Thanks you for the replies. I was not aware that Turbo Tax allowed you to enter ALL the possible tax deductions and then not allow it in final calculation.
After entering all my possible deductions (medical expenses, property taxes, charitable contributions, etc), my version of Turbo Tax showed me whether the standard deduction or itemizing was the best way to go - then it let me choose which I preferred.

I think too many people, me included in the past, try to "outhink" the program. I've learned the best approach is simply answer the questions and input the information when the software asks for it...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #6933

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
We planted 250 long leaf pine seedlings by hand today. Only 500 to go.
Got the tractor out and ran the disc over three sections of the hay meadow to cut up the coastal bermuda. Then ran the tiller over the strips where the seedlings will be planted. We decided to put in a Silvopasture (strips of trees across a hay meadow) in three areas of the hay meadow. We have to get the rest of the long-leaf seedlings planted tomorrow or we're going to have a high mortality rate.

Sure am glad we're retired so we have time for unscheduled projects such as this!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #6934

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Worked on 2010 income tax. Having trouble with Turbo Tax this year. Since we don't itemize (have used standard deduction for a long time), we cannot deduct property taxes. Feds eliminated this deduction unless you itemize. However, Turbo Tax software still allows me to post the property taxes. If this is wrong, what else have they screwed up. Now I don't trust it. Anyone else have a problem like this?
I agree with the others, especially since we had the same situation. I input property taxes and the program ignored them for final calcuations. As it did our charitable contributions.

We got our refund direct deposited in our bank account today. This is the first year we've had a refund in years!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #6935
Give me a forum ...

Inspired by the clay pot cooker post that someone made, I cooked a chicken in our Dutch oven, inside the regular oven. Added a lot of good spices.

The result was not good. I was essentially boiled chicken.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #6936
Give me a forum ...

I did my taxes yesterday also. I am still able to itemize by a comfortable margin over the standard deduction for a single filer. I will get a refund of just over $1.4K It doesn't take much to amuse me.
I will do one more sanity check on my figures tomorrow and then e-file my federal and snail mail my state taxes. No NYS tax due. Only someone who has lived here can appreciate that miracle of miracles.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #6937
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I did my taxes yesterday also. I am still able to itemize by a comfortable margin over the standard deduction for a single filer. I will get a refund of just over $1.4K It doesn't take much to amuse me.
I will do one more sanity check on my figures tomorrow and then e-file my federal and snail mail my state taxes. No NYS tax due. Only someone who has lived here can appreciate that miracle of miracles.

Congratulations ! So what are you going to do with your mad money ?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #6938
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations ! So what are you going to do with your mad money ?
TY
Put it in the bank for now.
I feel a Cape Cod adventure coming on in late spring or early summer before the summer hordes show up there.
We have to wait and see if Mr B is going to be taking courses full or part time, in classroom or online, through the VA VR&E program. We will know the answer by early March.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #6939
Administrator

Changed the oil in 2 of our cars. Went to lunch with the young wife. Bought a big bag of cat food and took it to the animal shelter.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #6940

Helped a friend work on restoring a 1951 John Deere Model B tractor.