Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #6961
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Mr B is just as bad. He is playing DJ on his desktop computer with a collection of music from the 1960s. He is segregating favorite songs into a folder for eventual burning to CDs for our road trips.
We have a guy around here who has five iPods-- one each for the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #6962
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got back from Universal Studios Orlando. Hadn't been there in 14 years. Really enjoyed the Harry Potter theme park. With the holiday weekend it was very busy. We had to wait in line for about 3 of the 7 hours we were there. It was over 80 degrees and sunny so it was a little rough but still had a great time. Only got burned a little. I have 1 more day before I have to go back to Wisconsin. It will be tough to leave the paradise that is Florida and go back to Wisconsin where they just got a foot of snow.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #6963
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but I NEED TO VENT! here's what I did today:

*attempted* to fly to Cancun for a week of R&R with my spouseGot to the gate with boarding passes in hand and the attendant said "oh wait, you need to get 'revised' boarding passes". Okay, so we got them and these new ones have us sitting 2 rows apart. So far, no big deal. Then the plane sits for 30 minutes. Now I begin to think, "well I am glad we have 70 minutes to catch the connecting flight"...then we back onto the runway and the pilot says "we are so sorry, the power supply is not working and we have to return to the gate". Everyone discombobulates, gets off the plane, mostly grumbling, but I am thinking "not gonna freak out yet". Ten minutes after exiting the plane we are told "the plane is just fine and you can all reboard". YAY, it looks like I am going to make my connection! We board again, back onto the runway, and the pilot says "I am SO sorry, we have just been informed that Chicago is shut down due to weather and we are going to sit here for 30 minutes and see what happens".

You see how this is going, right?

Thirty minutes later, the pilot says "Okay ladies and gentlemen, we have been given a green light to take off for Chicago in 10 minutes". And 5 minutes later he says "I am SO sorry....the power supply seems to be malfunctioning again and we have to return to the gate".

So here I sit in my LIVING ROOM, enjoying the ice and 28 degrees and a packed suitcase in the hallway. When I was on The Race, I was blessed with seeing how AWESOME some of the international airliines are. And conversely, how much American airlines SUCK. There is simply NO comparison, and I must say, what an embarrassment we must be to the rest of the world.

Postscript - I have a new flight leaving in 2 hours. WISH*ME*LUCK please?

PostPostscript - despite the high level of stress this situation evokes, I am really digging that I can remind myself of my (still relatively new) FIRE status to coax me back into a state of peace and serenity.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #6964
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to day #2 of brilliant sunshine. So nice to be back in the solar system again.

I'm watching the weather carefully to figure out which day we can safely drive east during the daytime. I researched some fun things to do in the North of Boston area. I found a historic greenhouse on an estate in Waltham that looks really interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyman_Estate

And of course the ocean beckons....I can hear the siren's song bidding me to come closer closer....
Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #6965
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Woke up with very sore legs...
Quote:
...bopped around in a spaghetti strap tank top..
Any connection?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #6966
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Any connection?
Yes, my abdomen usually is the physical connection between my legs and upper torso. At least it was the last time I checked...
Old 02-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #6967
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Finally getting some seasonal weather here in PV. Can see the north shore mountains for 2 days in a row. The hectic visiting season is still in full swing with snowbirds coming and going.

Spent last week helping a fellow snowbird complete an offer on his oceanfront condo (non-brokered). Introduced him to my personal banker and also my lawyer. He said: "Are they all this gorgeous?" I said: "I dunnow, these are just the ones I use!" So far so good. Buying from a rich Mexican family.

It is fun to watch the transition from a renter to an owner. We went through that in 2007.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #6968
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Spent last week helping a fellow snowbird complete an offer on his oceanfront condo (non-brokered). Introduced him to my personal banker and also my lawyer. He said: "Are they all this gorgeous?" I said: "I dunnow, these are just the ones I use!"
Somehow I think the topic changed from gorgeous real estate to something else...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #6969

Went to Goose Island Brewery for lunch and stopped off at a hardwood lumber store and brewing supply store for supplies on the way home. Watched the Blackhawks and Bulls win. Life is good.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #6970
Moderator Emeritus

Picked up spouse from the airport yesterday. Our pet bunny and I are both happy to have her back! Despite his protests he really was getting enough food, water, & petting.

I think she's finally recovered from the jet lag, so we're staying mostly bunkered for the weekend. We may go up to the local shopping center today or tomorrow to pick up a special-order fin for our daughter's surfboard. We might have to stop at a nearby McDonald's to stave off incipient starvation with an ice-cream cone.

Next month she's taking a whirlwind tour of the Marianas with one of her non-profits. During her liberty hours she's also scouting dive operators for our future return trip.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #6971
Give me a forum ...

I smiled a lot today. It felt good.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #6972
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I smiled a lot today. It felt good.
That's because it is good. The world always looks brighter from behind a smile.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #6973
Dryer sheet wannabe

smiling is for lazy people without a care in the world... like me!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #6974

Fussed with the turbotax as well. Have some consulting income, rental properties, MLP's and bunch of investment sales. Nothing insermountable with TTax but it does take some time. It did tell me I should open a SEP-IRA since I have outside consulting income. Was able to do that even with 401k contributions at my old full time w*rk (still consult a bit for them and contribute to 401k, have benefits, etc) and a TIRA. That was a bit of a shock. Turbotax actually took all this into account and told me what I could contribute to the SEP-IRA. Quite nice! So I called up Schwab, opened the SEP IRA and funded it for 2010.

Then I went out and watered the trees. Awfullly driy winter here in Front Range.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #6975
Full time employment: Posting here.

Worked in the morning. In the afternoon I fussed with fixing the sewer clean out in the front yard that was broken for years. I fixed it last month with PVC only to run it over and C-R-A-C-K the PVC on Saturday evening when my son move my car to the far side of the driveway off the concrete earlier in the day.

I went back to Lowe's today and found a 4 inch joint made of of a hard but flexible rubber which attaches with hose clamps. I have been in the house 25 years and have never need to use the clean out.

I want to get all of these little thing tied down while I still remember exactly where they are.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #6976
Give me a forum ...

I took my Mom to see the movie " King's speech " Today . It was great . Colin Firth deserved an Oscar .
Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #6977
Recycles dryer sheets

Way too much for my first official day of retirement. I went to the driving range then I cleaned out my front flower bed and worked on my boat. I had to pull the gas tank and I had to remove the seat to do that. I took out both batteries and gave them a charge. Made four trips to town (so much for saving gas). However, at 3 o'clock I decided that was quiting time and went in and puttered around the kitchen and ate by 5. I think I can get used to this.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #6978
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Jm, you need to learn to pace yourself. If you keep this up you risk becoming one of those retirement 'failures' who return to work just to get a rest.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #6979
Recycles dryer sheets

Heck, I knocked off at three, I thought I was pacing myself. I'll try to ease up tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #6980

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Jm, you need to learn to pace yourself. If you keep this up you risk becoming one of those retirement 'failures' who return to work just to get a rest.
+1