Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #7061
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Good little cars those Prizms. Had ours for 225,000 miles. Never had engine or tranny work done on it. Still running when I got rid of it.

Free to canoe
I bought a Prizm for my daughter when she was 16. Shortly thereafter we were camping near home and she drove it out to the campsite and nudged a rock backing up and put a little dent in it. She didn't think it was any big deal because we had a 30 day warranty on the car. Wasn't happy when I explained to her that the warranty wouldn't cover something like that. A couple weeks later an "old guy" cut her off as she was on her way to school and it was totaled (thankfully she was ok). Nice little car. I seem to recall it was a Toyota Corolla with GM badging - is that right?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #7062

Yesterday the big accomplishment was a grocery store run and the office supply store. A rainy, yucky day, really only suitable for sleeping and reading.

Which is mostly what we did.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #7063
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked. You are making me feel bad.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #7064
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lived thru a major earthquake. Biggest And scariest I've ever been in. The devastation in Northeast Japan is widespread, and we won't know the extent of the damage until the light of day tomorrow.

R
Old 03-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #7065
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Lived thru a major earthquake. Biggest And scariest I've ever been in. The devastation in Northeast Japan is widespread, and we won't know the extent of the damage until the light of day tomorrow.

R
I just saw this report on the internet a few minutes ago. First thing I thought of was you and your family. I'm relieved to know you're ok!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #7066

Quote:

R
I also am relieved that you are ok!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #7067
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday played with computer, spring cleaned back porch, started lawnmower after four months. Today snowy started to go over a lease from a corporation that wants to rent a half acre from me to put a small substation on. Do they think I am stupid enough to sign a lease that puts restrictions on the rest of my property. That was too much like work. Going to put it aside and continue tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #7068
Give me a forum ...

I just did a fun thing...
I already have approx 6K airline points with JetBlue from my 3 FL trips last year. My existing points will expire at end of June 2011.
I have been watching the JetBLue AMEX offer for almost a year, waiting for them to up the ante and make it worth paying the $40 annual fee.
By signing up for the card by April 1st, I got an enrollment bonus of 10K points. If I use the AMEX card for $500 worth of charges over the next 3 months, I get another 10K points on top of the 10K enrollment bonus.
Boundary conditions:
1-way ticket = 5K points
RT ticket = 10K points
My calculator tells me I now have enough for a round trip ticket, plus perhaps another one if I use the card for any normal purchases I have to make over 3 months AND my 6K points will not expire for another year as long as I use the AMEX card once in the next 12 months.

Not bad for $40, huh?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #7069
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Nice little car. I seem to recall it was a Toyota Corolla with GM badging - is that right?

Yes , I think that is why it lasted so long .
Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #7070
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

R
I thought of you this morning . Glad you are alright !
Spring ahead - Daylight savings time
Old 03-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #7071
Give me a forum ...

Spring ahead - Daylight savings time

I got up early, stayed up for a few hours, then took a nap.
I've been hanging out in nice silky sleepwear all day. I just didn't feel like getting dressed to go out. No reason to on a rainy chilly damp day.

Mr B got the blue screen of death, so he is still performing herioic measures on his desktop computer. He is an ace at restoring crashed computers. Prognosis is good so far, except his hard drive seems to be corrupted.
My crystal ball tells me that I may have a good reason to use that JetBlue AMEX card I just signed up for. He will reimburse me with cash if he needs to replace his system.

Don't forget to change your clocks ahead tonight!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #7072
Give me a forum ...

I took the 14YO beagle to the vet hospital and ended up determining that we are at the terminal stage. Poor pup was diagnosed with stage IV lymphoma a year ago and chemo has thus far been highly sucessful. We got another year of high quality of life for him and we used it: lots of hikes, good days, happy times. But he is not responding to chemo any more and he has a serious heart murmur and bad kidneys. We will get maybe another couple of weeks and that is it. Its hard not to feel like my heart is breaking.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 03-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #7073
Moderator Emeritus

So so sorry, Brewer.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #7074

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I took the 14YO beagle to the vet hospital and ended up determining that we are at the terminal stage. Poor pup was diagnosed with stage IV lymphoma a year ago and chemo has thus far been highly sucessful. We got another year of high quality of life for him and we used it: lots of hikes, good days, happy times. But he is not responding to chemo any more and he has a serious heart murmur and bad kidneys. We will get maybe another couple of weeks and that is it. Its hard not to feel like my heart is breaking.
So sorry Brewer. We just lost our kitty to cancer 2 1/2 wks ago, so I can really empathize. It is so hard.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #7075

My sympathies brewer. Our pets slowly but surely work their way into our hearts.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #7076
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry Brewer and simple girl... Our hearts enable us to feel compassion and love....that's the only way a broken heart can mend. It's a cycle...
Old 03-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #7077

I filed my taxes. I'm a little bummed . . . Each year I am usually within $500-600 of what I owe one way or the other. This year I am getting thousands back. I just gave a free loan to the government last year! Now that I have the time I will make sure that doesn't happen again.

Also went out to a gourmet food pop-up market and picked up some locally made goodies. New Taste Marketplace. We have these local vendor events 1-2x per month and it is a great place to get one-of-kind foods. They serve as incubators for budding food entrepreneurs. It helps to be on the right email lists to get notification of dates and places.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #7078
Moderator Emeritus

I did our taxes today for the first time in 30 years without an accountant. I'm stunned how easy it is with Turbotax. Then I brewed a batch of Irish Red Ale. My sympathies as well to Brewer and Simple Girl - it's tough to get over a pet's illness and eventual passing.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #7079
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I did our taxes today for the first time in 30 years without an accountant. I'm stunned how easy it is with Turbotax. Then I brewed a batch of Irish Red Ale.
Likely you'd have been even more amazed had you done the brewing first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My sympathies as well to Brewer and Simple Girl - it's tough to get over a pet's illness and eventual passing.
We lost one of our dogs a couple of months ago. Hurts like hell.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #7080

So sorry to hear about your pets, Brewer, Simple Girl and REWahoo.

I met a friend who still works at my old place of work. We had lunch out, Roasted Vegetable Sandwich and Sweet Potato Fries. Yummy. Then we went to a Home Show and to Sam's Club. It was a beautiful day today. The sun was actually shining!!!

Came home and watched some TV, skyped with DH and DD's family. I miss my granddaughter so much and I am so happy that I can skype with her, but I want to hold her and kiss her. I know, I should be satisfied with being able to see her.
Closed Thread