Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #7081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We woke up to snow again. It is merely a dusting vs the lake effect mess.

Mr B's desktop is alive and kicking. The problem was a corruption of one of the file directories. He is backing up all of his user files to a network drive we have on deck for this very reason. My guess is his computer will fail again. He will keep running it until it croaks completely. He's cheaper than I am.

I'm watching Naked Gun 33 1/3 on the Comedy Channel. Leslie Nielsen is wrestling Raquel Welch for the Academy Award envelope.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #7082
Recycles dryer sheets

We're spending a couple weeks in Texas Hill Country before we start traveling west. This is one of our favorite places in the country- except in the summer.

We have tried 3 BBQ places so far- Blacks, Coopers and Salt Lick. We rode the motorcycle to Salt Lick yesterday, and met 2 friends of DW's son that are going to Paris in a few days. We gave them a few tips on travel there, and several must-sees.

We rode back through Wimberly, Blanco and New Braunfels. Got tired of waving to all the other motorcycles.

Day off today. Maybe a few small fix-it projects.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #7083
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just finished shoveling snow. We had a small blizzard go through here on Friday night, not much snow but wind gusts over 45mph. Yesterday the wind was still blowing a steady 30 mph so I never left the house. Now the snow is shoveled it's on to laundry and tax prep.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #7084
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Cleaned the house.
I really dislike housework.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #7085
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Just finished shoveling snow. We had a small blizzard go through here on Friday night, not much snow but wind gusts over 45mph. Yesterday the wind was still blowing a steady 30 mph so I never left the house. Now the snow is shoveled it's on to laundry and tax prep.
Are we twins as well as neighbours? You have described my weekend exactly. The only difference is that I was a passenger in a plane landing during the Friday night blizzard. It was "interesting" enough that a man sitting opposite me went quite green!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #7086

I'm just hoping that was the last blizzard of the season, the forecast looks good but we shall see.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #7087
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got together with 4 friends where we all went through grade school & high school together. Grilled some T-bones, had a few cold ones, played some Texas Hold'em while catching up with one another.

Poker buy-in: $20
6666's: Priceless
Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #7088

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We will get maybe another couple of weeks and that is it. Its hard not to feel like my heart is breaking.
Went through similar situation with my four legged furry child (almost 10 yrs old at the time) back in 2004. Still feels like last week some days. At the parade yesterday, I got some great mutual puppy love from strange dogs! All were happy with tails wagging, rump/shoulder scratches and kisses! Their people did not seem to mind - their loved ones were getting wonderful attention!

My heart goes out to you Brewer (and your family)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #7089
Gone but not forgotten

So sorry Brewer & Simple Girl for your losses !
Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #7090
Give me a forum ...

I'm watching a totally cool program on lightning on Raging Planet. It's amazing how camera technology has made it possible to capture images for later slow motion playback.
Click on the lightning video shorts here for a sample

Search Results : raging, planet : Planet Green
Old 03-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #7091
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Cleaned the house.
I really dislike housework.
Since you are having a visitor this week -end and a man cleaning is your fantasy maybe you should take advantage of the situation ?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #7092
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Since you are having a visitor this week -end and a man cleaning is your fantasy maybe you should take advantage of the situation ?
I just might.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #7093
Moderator Emeritus

Came home from taking care of my Dad. I think the only good thing about leaving Hawaii is the way it makes you feel when you come back.

I'm still catching up on sleep and I might've burned myself out a little. Lots more to do for my Dad on the legal and possessions aspects, but he's being well cared for in the skilled nursing facility. He feels happy anyway.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1047196

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #7094
Moderator Emeritus

Nords, glad that your father is safe and in good hands, and that you are back home.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #7095

A few days ago W2R posted how the weather was creating havoc for parade goers. Well we had good weather in Wilmington, NC for the St. Patrick's Day parade. BUT:
It was held on Saturday (not St. Paddy's Day) and there was no traffic control. Cars were not diverted. The marchers just sort of staggered out of the way, then regrouped. I wondered what planet I was on, and if I had a camera would it work here?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #7096
Give me a forum ...

I got up at 4 AM with Mr B to see him off to Albany for "Hill Day" (as in state capitol hill). He forgot his Legionnaire hat, but I wasn't about to jump in my car in a bathrobe and try to catch up with him at the carpool meeting point.
I went bad to back and slept in until 1 PM. Lazy lazy lazy
It is sunny and 46F today. Ground is still snow covered but I am seeing more and more bare ground at the edges of the driveway and around the base of the trees. Spring is in the air. The lilac buds are getting a bit bigger and I am hearing different bird songs (migrating back north).
I'm headed to Cazenovia for the afternoon to visit a friend.
ROAD TRIP! So nice to be able to drive without being glued to the weather forecast.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #7097
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw three robins on the front lawn today
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #7098
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
No mooses or gooses found here...

I goofed all ALL morning.... I deserve that after completing my tax returns last week and re-executing my Trust-Will-HCP-Durable PoA-Schedule of Assets package earlier this week.

Well...OK...I did two loads of laundry. We had rain all day, added to already melting snow. This means my back yard will be deeply saturated, which means my leach field will not function as well, which means I have to limit washing machine water output for several days until natural ground water drainage puts the septic system process back to business as usual. Toilet and shower water usage is not an issue unless I host a really huge party.

Ah...the joys of country living.
Maybe you can wash your clothes in the "See-ment Pond"??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #7099

I rooted my Color Nook.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #7100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I rooted my Color Nook.
Awesome! Total pwnage!

(This turns the Nook into a cheap Android tablet, that is, you can use your Nook to play Angry Birds....)
Closed Thread