Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #7121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Sez the man who - on purpose - ...
Well, yeah, I was afraid that I was going to have to say "Seemed like a good idea at the time"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #7122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post

Yup and I even have green tips of crocus and daffodils poking up through the thawing ground
I saw a few daffodil leaf tops poking up right next to my house foundation. The crocus and tupil bed out front is still partially snow covered (below), but it won't be much longer.
Look closely...do you see the snow beast trying to devour the raised bed (red bricks) ?

Today is yet another lazy day in East Nowhere. It's cloudy with a slight drizzle falling. Par for the course this time of year.
I'm listening to Soundscapes (digital music channel) and surfing, doing some laundry, contemplating which indoor project I want to jump into. None are striking my fancy at this point.
Mr B is at a meeting for an upcoming county level Legion budget audit. Lucky him!
I keep telling him to be careful what he wishes for......but he's having fun and feeling useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring2011-2.jpg (30.1 KB, 9 views)

Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #7123
Give me a forum ...

Not what I do, but this is something that just happens to me today.

My portfolio has lost its year-to-date gain, and is back down to its value in last December.

How long before someone starts to post the "head banging" emoticon?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #7124
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Laundry and dishes and errands.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #7125
Give me a forum ...

Delightful Spring day -- the first one we've had here. Spent the morning filing taxes, then the rest of the afternoon cleaning gutters, pulling weeds, and neatening up flower beds. Fairly nasty jobs normally, but I enjoyed being outdoors so much it seemed like fun.

Took the cat to the vet to look at a growth on his chin that made him growl when it was touched. Turned out to be nothing but a scab on a zit, and otherwise he got a clean bill of health.

What a great day!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #7126
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got two teeth pulled and get to live on ice cream for the next couple of days. Truly, I have arrived.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #7127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I got two teeth pulled and get to live on ice cream for the next couple of days. Truly, I have arrived.
Reminds me of when my Mum used to let me stay home from school because I was sick. I used to love those days.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #7128
Give me a forum ...

I went to my doctor's appointment this morning.

Once again he confirmed that I am still alive. Who woulda thunk it?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #7129
Give me a forum ...

I am leaving work early to day to meet the delivery guys. DW and I were wandering around a furniture store last weekend when we came upon "the kitchen table from heaven". Made of solid birch, two tone stain, NINE chairs, all wood, pedestal table. We are replacing a 30+ year old laminate top that is shot. We have been looking for 5 years.

Orginal retail was $4200. Manager's special was $1900. I talked to manager and told her I only needed 6 chairs, so what's it worth for me to take the other 3 off her hands? We dicker a little and I get it for $1600, including some 5-year warranty against scratching and gouging and stuff as a throw-in, plus I got free delivery out of the deal. I will post a pic when it gets set up. I tell you, the US craftsman still make some nice furniture..........

DW gave me the rarely-used puppy dog eyes look, and that was that..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #7130

[QUOTE=freebird5825;1047872]
Look closely...do you see the snow beast trying to devour the raised bed (red bricks) ?

The snow beast is about gone here. Just have the big banks along the fencerows and they will be gone soon. I am guessing Sunday.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #7131

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am leaving work early to day to meet the delivery guys. DW and I were wandering around a furniture store last weekend when we came upon "the kitchen table from heaven". Made of solid birch, two tone stain, NINE chairs, all wood, pedestal table. We are replacing a 30+ year old laminate top that is shot. We have been looking for 5 years.

Orginal retail was $4200. Manager's special was $1900. I talked to manager and told her I only needed 6 chairs, so what's it worth for me to take the other 3 off her hands? We dicker a little and I get it for $1600, including some 5-year warranty against scratching and gouging and stuff as a throw-in, plus I got free delivery out of the deal. I will post a pic when it gets set up. I tell you, the US craftsman still make some nice furniture..........

Wonderful day! It isn't super when you delay gratification until the perfect 'thing' comes your way...the table sounds beautiful.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #7132
Dryer sheet wannabe

Worked on web page for 14 hours. I don't mind overtime, since I impose it on myself.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:24 AM   #7133

I remembered why I don't really care for ice cream in anything but really small, infrequent quantities. I feel like a rabbit just nibbling with my front teeth on anything more solid, hopefully everything'll be more normal within the next week or less.

There isn't much new I can learn with 3D modeling in Google's Sketchup, so I started on some video tutorials for Blender. I'm really excited to see what all I can do with that.

Tonight before bed I'm relaxing and watching some Robotech, because 80s cartoons are awesome.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #7134

Yesterday:
Went grocery shopping (my least favorite activity), took car in for oil change and some warranty work, had lunch and a game of cards with some friends, went to Far Point electronics for some radio parts and visit with friends, took car home and walked to bar for corned beef and cabbage and a Guinness or three, wandered home and went to bed.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #7135

DW went for a "girl's day" visit with her sister and seven other ladies. The weather was nice so I went for a long motorcycle ride out to Berkeley Springs, WV and Winchester, VA, scraping the floorboards on some of the hairpin turns. I can think of worse ways to spend a day!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #7136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Wise of you, because the next look would have been the rabid, attack dog look!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #7137
Moderator Emeritus

Found a Black & Decker Workmate200 collapsible workbench on Craigslist. I've had the 300 model for quite a while but it's big, heavy, & awkward needed some repairs that would require cutting/drilling/routing a new piece of plywood. Not impossible, just one of those chores that never gets done. Oh, and I'd need to find a router, too.

The seller dropped the price to $55 and threw in a "routermate" attachment. Both of them have been sitting in their boxes since he bought them at least a decade ago... another failed woodworker wannabe.

Of course now I'm that much closer to repairing my old Workmate and selling one of them on Craigslist for $30 or so. I haven't seen one in the stores for years but they're handy for setting up a temporary workbench to clamp a project.

Spouse got home a few minutes after I did. She'd been helping out at an evening open house honoring WWII vets with food & drink. I was ready to show off my acquisition when she happily brought out an entire leftover Costco double-stacked platter of those sliced turkey-sandwich wraps. We could never finish that much food before it spoiled, so we shared half with our neighbor.

Then we sat in the garage, munching on turkey wraps and contemplating our latest of many Craigslist acquisitions, and wondered how in the world we'd ever manage to spend $300K/year...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #7138

Picked DW's car up from the shop today. A few days ago I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine and it didn't sound right so I took it into the dealership since it's still under warranty for a few more months. Good thing too since they replaced the lifters and cylinder head. Would have been $4k outside of warranty!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #7139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Wise of you, because the next look would have been the rabid, attack dog look!
When she is mad, she makes Cujo look like a nice dog.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #7140
Give me a forum ...

We took my faithful 92 Honda Accord for tire rotation and to check an odd sound (frequency change of a continuous humming sound) coming from the right front wheel at speeds greater than 50 mph. My bet was a wheel bearing starting to go, and Mr B bet on the tires just needed rotating.
Guess who was right on target?
BOTH of us. The right front wheel bearing is just starting to show wear at 142K miles. We were quoted $347 to fix only 1 front wheel bearing. I told the guy I didn't have my tax refund yet, so it would have to wait.
Not a fib.

Now anybody knows anything about cars knows that wheel bearings are a matched pair, and if one is going, the other is not far behind it. I called our friend the mechanic, who will get the car in next week to replace BOTH wheel bearings all in one shot. He and I chuckled at the concept of replacing only one and couldn't believe the price quoted for 1 replacement.