Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #7221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Had a root canal.
Ouch. Hope you feel better tomorrow, Khan.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #7222
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke up and wished I was golfing today but then it rained - so, no regrets. Cooked a new dish - not sure you all folks will appreciate it as it contains exotic things like fish stomach, sea moss and other normal things like mushrooms, garlic, etc. Intend to go out and maybe watch a movie later. Stomach just growled - I always get hungry 2.5 hours after breakfast.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #7223
Moderator Emeritus

I finally declared myself finished with the 2nd proofreading of the typeset version of the book. Minor typos, one revision to the paragraph about the Roth TSP. For some reason "Kaderli" was misspelled just about every time. Sorry, Akaisha, but this time I think I really fixed it all!

Impact Publications generated an index from the manuscript and included it in the PDF. I was able to spellcheck the index by cutting & pasting since Adobe Acrobat Reader doesn't let you do a spellcheck. However when I started checking each keyword in the index and its occurrences in the book, I realized that this could take the rest of the week... and that wouldn't help find any keywords that were inadvertently omitted.

I tried to figure out how to auto-generate an index using an OpenOffice version of the book manuscript but I couldn't get that to run either. At this point when spouse returns I could try her laptop copy of MS Office Word 2007 to generate an index, but I'm not sure I really care to spend more time on it.

If any of you OO gurus know how to persuade Writer to automatically parse a 150-page document to generate an index, then I'm all thumbs ears...

Next I wrote e-mails to two other Impact military authors asking for their ideas on what's worked (and what hasn't) on TV & radio marketing.

Now I'm working up a list of TV & radio shows for marketing the book. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and I'll post to that thread when I have it organized.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #7224
Give me a forum ...

Spent part of the day trying to keep up with the new forum members...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #7225
Give me a forum ...

The housecleaner was here today.

I am attacking my junk room. It is full of boxes of stuff that used to be in the computer room. There is a garage sale coming up at the local VFW, so I am boxing things up for that.
I ordered an open rack bookshelf for storage of my personal things. Free shipping included...wooo hoooooo.
I also may get rid of the overpriced fold-up treadmill conveniently left here given to me by my former roommate . All I need is 2 strong guys to muscle it out the door, load it up in their pickup truck and it is toast. If the pickup truck deal falls through, it will end up by the roadside with a nice big FREE sign on it.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #7226
Give me a forum ...

This afternoon, had the carpets and upholstery cleaned, my real estate agent over, with the painter & handyman, the declutterer and the moving company. We now have a project plan for my upcoming move.

I am so looking forward to a new start!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #7227
Give me a forum ...

I finished the taxes (still need some proofing), and then Lena and I went on a wonderful bike ride on the first spring-like day of the year. Cold and foggy at home, but we drove a ways first, and it was sunny and warm in the town we rode to.

Ride info here.

More photos here.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #7228
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Had oil changed
Bought cat food & and flea control at vet
Did laundry
Ran dishwasher
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #7229
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are having summer like weather in the San Francisco Bay Area after a couple of months of constant rain. I went for an 8 mile hike in Redwoods Regional Park. It started out as a walk in the park and turned into an endurance test with all the elevation changes. It was a good workout. Also . . . its a beautiful park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redwood-Reg-Park-10.jpg (58.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Redwood-Reg-Park-16.jpg (65.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #7230
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Ride info here.
Your Garmin info was really cool! What a wonderful tool for information geeks.

Where are we going tomorrow?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #7231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I finished the taxes (still need some proofing), and then Lena and I went on a wonderful bike ride on the first spring-like day of the year. Cold and foggy at home, but we drove a ways first, and it was sunny and warm in the town we rode to.

Is that a med I see in your hand? I also finished my taxes today. Need to proof it as well, but looks like I owe several hundred bucks this year. Oh well.....good excuse for a night med.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #7232
Moderator Emeritus

Surfing, grocery shopping, and a new laser-printer toner cartridge to replace the one that sprung a leak.

But it looks like I've successfully avoided doing the taxes until tomorrow...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #7233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Your Garmin info was really cool! What a wonderful tool for information geeks.

Where are we going tomorrow?
You're right, it's a lot of fun to come back and analyze your ride. You can also do 3D fly-throughs and set goals.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #7234

I went to my DW's retirement party at her place of w*rk. Lunch was served, followed by cake and ice cream and then the usual card with cash from officemates.

The office does not seem so busy - cubicles are clean and neat. Desks are neat - no stacks of paper. All I saw are w*rkers looking at 4 monitors, occasionally typing on the keyboard and moving the mouse. Phones ring and they chat. People come to their cubicles and they chat. I don't see these stressfull w*rk - Heck, I do it all the time while surfing the web.

Anyway, I am very happy that DW will be out of this "stressful" environment as tomorrow will be her last day at the megacorp.

By her staying until tomorrow instead of today, we are covered on her HI for the whole month of April, saving us a month COBRA dues.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #7235

Well, I did what I was supposed to do.....I retired.
Interested folks can read about it here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-re-53440.html
Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #7236
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

dessert, congratulations! I'm going to go way out on a limb and make a prediction of what you'll see when you look in the mirror tomorrow morning:
Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #7237
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Dessert!

I changed the oil in the Tacoma, defying the evil designers who tried to make it impossible. I use a special valve (this) that keeps the oil from dripping onto the skid plate. I use a wonderful oil filter wrench (this) that makes removing the filter easy even though I have to reach in a half arm length to a cramped space to get to it. I like that filter wrench so much that I kiss it after removing the filter. And I've learned to put a ziplock bag around the oil filter before removing it so the oil doesn't drip onto the skid plate.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #7238
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Today I ran some errands and noticed that the car was leaking after yesterday's oil change.

Now have to go there tomorrow to see if they can fix the problem they caused.

I don't mind paying for stuff, but I do expect competence.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #7239
Give me a forum ...

I ran a few loads of laundry and hung them up to dry.
I did a return request for a handheld cordless lightweight vacuum I ordered from Amazon. I charged it for over 24 hours and it will not energize. It must be a lemon that got through B&D's QC program.
I went through a very painless online return proceedure with the UPS pickup at the house option. All I had to do is box it up and attach their RMA labels to it, and will leave it on the porch tomorrow.
I made banana pudding cake and no-refrigerate frosting from scratch. Mr B will bring this cake to the morning Legion coffee group minus a piece or two .
I made homemade spaghetti sauce with medium hot sausage and capellini for dinner. We are sitting here watching TV and digesting. Mr B has a nice fire going, so it is very cozy on a damp chilly night.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #7240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Today I ran some errands and noticed that the car was leaking after yesterday's oil change.

Now have to go there tomorrow to see if they can fix the problem they caused.

I don't mind paying for stuff, but I do expect competence.
Watch your oil pressure gauge like a hawk. If they misfit the oil filter it could ruin your engine in a couple of miles.
Closed Thread