Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

I'm Back
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #7241
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm Back

Had some trouble with Windows XP and decided to install the Windows 7 I bought over a year ago. Installation was smooth, but I've been re-installing stuff for a week or so. I am finishing up the new autobiography of Mark Twain, which he wrote 100 years ago, but was just published last fall. It's a huge book with tiny print, nothing to cuddle up with by the fire! Also got a new toy, notice it still has a hang tag on it. Please don't make fun of the wallpaper in my "man cave!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire.jpg (543.7 KB, 15 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #7242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting wallpaper there Telecaster.... Love the geetar!

Today I made the bed, straightened up the bathrooms, fed and cleaned up after the cats, unloaded the dishwasher, washed two loads of laundry, did my WM run, mowed the grass, 'wrassled' with my Pampas grass and cooked supper.

Methinks tomorrow I shall have someone peel me a grape.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #7243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Headed to Zion National Park for a long weekend away from w*rk! We've never been so really looking forward to it.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #7244
Give me a forum ...

Take your bikes -- you can ride where the cars can't go:

Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #7245

Had to get up at 3:30 A.M. to abuse myself with an annual arduous pack test. Did it a minute slower than last year, but I was 59 now I am 60.

Had to do well since I am now the Vice President of our fire/rescue company(all volunteer). Also I did my test with a neighbor who is a retired Cardiologists, and is younger then me.

Arduous pack test

Arduous: involves field work calling for above-average endurance and superior conditioning. All firefighters are required to perform arduous duty. This test level is required by the U.S. Forest Service and most other agencies to fight fire in the United States.
Requirements: 3-mile hike with 45 lb pack in 45 minutes. No jogging or running.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #7246
Give me a forum ...

I am not playing an April Fools' joke on you all. No kidding...

I just realized that today is the 4th anniversary of FIRE for me. Now I know I am completely and totally FIREd because I forgot what day it was.

The best part of the joke was me being financially prepared for and making the decision to resign to escape an extremely toxic w*rk environment. I picked my official "separation date" on purpose, a move right in line with my own personal style.
Bronx cheer!

Wooo hoooooo...4 years of freedom has been very good for me. Stress lines are gone, upper body and hands are feeling better, and I am driving my own "bus" these days.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #7247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster View Post
Had some trouble with Windows XP and decided to install the Windows 7 I bought over a year ago. Installation was smooth, but I've been re-installing stuff for a week or so. I am finishing up the new autobiography of Mark Twain, which he wrote 100 years ago, but was just published last fall. It's a huge book with tiny print, nothing to cuddle up with by the fire! Also got a new toy, notice it still has a hang tag on it. Please don't make fun of the wallpaper in my "man cave!"
Nice Schecter!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #7248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am not playing an April Fools' joke on you all. No kidding...

I just realized that today is the 4th anniversary of FIRE for me. Now I know I am completely and totally FIREd because I forgot what day it was.
Same for me, although 3/31 was my retirement date. I must be getting used to retirement, my anniversary didn't even cross my mind until I read your post.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #7249
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Today:
had teeth cleaned
put gas in car
went to garage & bitched that car was leaking oil (they said fixed)
went to grocery (& #$%^ forgot coupons)
wore bra & shoes for 10 hours

going to bed early
Old 04-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #7250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

I retired the day before my birthday so I wouldn't forget and the only way I know how long it has been is I retired a month before my grandson was born .
Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #7251
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Same for me, although 3/31 was my retirement date. I must be getting used to retirement, my anniversary didn't even cross my mind until I read your post.
Made me realize that I just passed my 3 year anniversary (3/28). Time seems to pass more quickly these days.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #7252

It is past 10 AM, I'm very slowly getting around to getting ready to do whatever it is I'm going to do today. Well the obvious, I'm tippy tapping on the keyboard on the forum, read a few posts and posted some.

Whew... time to take a break.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #7253
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Very close to nothing; didn't even bother with lunch.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #7254
Give me a forum ...

We went to a Legion fundraiser chicken BBQ today. For $9, we got half a chicken, salt potatoes, "cowboy beans", a roll and a soda. The 1/2 chicken was huge! I finished 2/3 of the meal and brought the rest home for a snack.
Tonight is 50s and 6os night with a DJ at the local Legion. If the warm weather holds, I just may break out a minidress or miniskirt to be in theme. I got a big smile from Mr B ( a leg man) for coming up with that idea.
My social life has improved so much in the past year. What a difference!
He just joined the VFW Mens Auxiliary. I tag along for the socializing. He will go off for short periods of time, but comes back soon with the guys right in tow. Or I will wander over to listen in.
The guys (for the most part) talk to me like I'm one of them. I fit right in, busting their chops and talking about "guy stuff". I am in my element once again.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #7255
Recycles dryer sheets

Got up had coffee with DW before she went to j*b. I then took a short nap (1 hour), got up and went to L*we's to get a couple of fence posts (two broken), also got new flapper value for toilet, and new water shutoff for toilet. Went to bank to get money and leave money (left more than I took). I then had breakfast, installed flapper and shutoff value, put fence post in backyard to install either later today or tomorrow. Gave puppies baths (pretty dirty), worked on retirement and budget spreadsheets, took a bath to get ready for massage. I will be grilling chicken for dinner after massage.

Pretty busy day and I have not even retired yet.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #7256
Give me a forum ...

Very long day yesterday with meetings and travel. Today was a chill out day. Woke up slowly at vacation place and watched TV news in bed. Unpacked. Leisurely breakfast, shower. Checked email, called friends and calculated NW as I do every year at this time. Pronounced myself happy with results. Went for a walk. Did errands, visited favourite local haunts including a goat farm, where I bought cheese and gelato, and a flower market. Will make a simple supper and may watch a movie before early to bed.

Tomorrow I will definitely be more active!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #7257
Give me a forum ...

I bought a brush chipper on Craigslist yesterday and today I gave it a work out on a huge pile of brush that has accumulated. It is one of the old TroyBilt models with heavy steel construction that weighs a ton. The old guy that I bought it from had taken the carburetor apart and had put it back together wrong but it was a simple matter to get it running properly, plus I saved a bit on the cost. Still have 10 fingers.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #7258
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I bought a brush chipper on Craigslist yesterday...
Hope you don't mind me outing your real identity: 'Fargo' cameraman buys infamous wood chipper

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #7259

Took my old Chevelle out to a car show today. Beautiful weather and a good turn out for the show. I made a list of a bunch of oldie songs and the DJ played every one of them. Then 2 of my grand kids came and I got to walk them around the show and show them all the old cars. Tonight DW and I are babysitting the grand kids and all in all this was a great day.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #7260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hope you don't mind me outing your real identity: 'Fargo' cameraman buys infamous wood chipper
Curses!