Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #7261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took a couple of pics of my Bluebonnets today.

A friend gave us a couple of small plants about 5 years ago. The plants just withered up, died and didn't come back..until this year. So strange...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02342.jpg (1.17 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02343.jpg (612.9 KB, 12 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #7262
Administrator

Pretty, bbbamI! I just love Texas bluebonnets, and was sad to read that wildflowers apparently aren't blooming too well on highways near Austin this year. Guess your yard had the right conditions.

Anyway, the photo is really pretty and brings back sweet memories of fields of bluebonnets... (blissful sigh)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #7263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Pretty, bbbamI! I just love Texas bluebonnets, and was sad to read that wildflowers apparently aren't blooming too well on highways near Austin this year. Guess your yard had the right conditions.

Anyway, the photo is really pretty and brings back sweet memories of fields of bluebonnets... (blissful sigh)
Thanks and I'm glad the pics brought back sweet memories for you.

The close-up didn't turn out very well as the wind has been blowing around 30 mph with wind gusts up to 40 mph.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #7264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally finished my state and federal taxes - YAY!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #7265
Give me a forum ...

I mostly surfed all day.
I ordered a hardy dwarf cherry bush (self pollinating, variety XDwarf Bing), a fresh blueberry tree (variety Polaris), and some softneck garlic from Miller Nurseries in western NY. The bush and tree will arive potted, not bareroot.
My green thumb is coming out of hibernation.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #7266
Full time employment: Posting here.

Busy day today.
I accompanied my DW (RE 4/1/11) to a doctor appointment she made when she was having chest and back discomfort over the weekend (which has since been gone since yesterday). Result of EKG is somewhat abnormal and so MD ordered chest x-ray and blood tests. He ordered a stress test for this Friday and said the he will let us knew of the result in the afternoon.

Went to Lunch at Red Lobster and then got some quotes for new tires for her car.

We went to SS to apply for benefits. 1/2 hr wait - not bad. Processor saw a descrepancy on her birthdate on her second application for a card to replace the one that she lost when she was robbed at gunpoint in 1974. The year of birth was entered as 1948 instead of 1947. So SS needs to see a birth certificate (SS erred in inputting the date but now we are being inconvenienced) before she can continue the process. This despite, the license and US passport showing the correct birthdate. So, we went home, got the key to the safety deposit box, go to the bank and retrieve the documents and then back to SS office. SS Check will start on May.

As soon as we got home, the MD called and ask her to go to the hospital ER. He did not like what the blood tests showed and he wants the hospital to do more tests and/or evaluations. So, we went to the ER where they took another EKG which showed normal this time. The blood tests also showed normal. After 4 hours at the hospital, the hospital MD concluded that it is not a heart attack and suggested possibly caused by heart burn and others - but not a heart problem. She will still have the scheduled stress test this Friday.

Then, we went to Portillos for dinner.

Just today, there was a study released that showed the increased heart attack risk because of long hours of work. DW had been working long hours (sometimes up to 12 hrs) which led to her decision to RE.

Over the weekend, we were also discussing what to do with her pension - get the annuity or the lump sum. I have been trying to go for the annuity but she wants the lump sum for legacy reasons. With today's event, I don't think I can ever get her to change her mind.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #7267
Give me a forum ...

I went to dance this afternoon with my tango partner and afterward she invited me for dinner- the year's first fresh halibut, broccoli and a nice French white wine. I don't know enough about wines to report anything beyond this.

Unbelievably good lunch, and really a very good day all around. For many years now I pretty much accept that spring has arrived when the first fresh halibut is in from Alaska, regardless of the weather which this year continues somewhat cold and blustery.

Ha
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #7268
Full time employment: Posting here.

It was snowing here in Central Oregon today, so I postponed cleaning the back yard. I read a book, did some spring cleaning inside and then took my dog for a walk.

I don't usually read this section of the forum, but really enjoyed looking at pictures of Trombones's bicycle trip that he took a few days ago. There is some very beautiful countryside in Northern California!

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #7269
Give me a forum ...

I transformed my "junk" catchall room from a mess to open space by sorting through boxes (keep/discard exercise) and put together several donation boxes for the VFW garage sale in the hallway. My plan for this room is to relocate my garden seedling growing setup, move my exercise bike into it, and actually be able to get to my sewing machine. It will be the ultimate "lady cave".
Little by little I am decluttering (again ) and truly getting rid of those tchatchkes that don't pass the 2 year rule. I bought and set up a small chest high bookshelf unit to hold the already sorted out plastic organizer containers. I vacuumed the walls, corners, rugs and baseboard areas. Now my housecleaner has one more room to maintain.
Tomorrow will be the finishing touch to go through 5 remaining small boxes and weed out the rest of the unused things. The closet also needs to be gone through. Some of this stuff dates back to college days (1976-80). Unbelievable!
Next will be hanging some professionally framed watercolor and high quality pictures I have on hand to make the room look more earthy and natural. I have a waterfall, dolphins, and a Rocky Mt mirrored lake scene. These pictures used to hang in my cube in the windowless building I grew to despise.

It's a lot of w*rk but also a lot of fun redoing a room.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #7270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Had to get up at 3:30 A.M. to abuse myself with an annual arduous pack test. Did it a minute slower than last year, but I was 59 now I am 60.

Had to do well since I am now the Vice President of our fire/rescue company(all volunteer). Also I did my test with a neighbor who is a retired Cardiologists, and is younger then me.

Arduous pack test

Arduous: involves field work calling for above-average endurance and superior conditioning. All firefighters are required to perform arduous duty. This test level is required by the U.S. Forest Service and most other agencies to fight fire in the United States.
Requirements: 3-mile hike with 45 lb pack in 45 minutes. No jogging or running.
Ever since I read your post, this song has been on my mind. I've boot scooted to this song many times...

Took another pic of my Bluebonnets this afternoon when the wind settled down a bit. Now I think I'm gonna go play in the yard some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02358.jpg (783.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #7271
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Got a call from dentist office: crap!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #7272
Give me a forum ...

Went to Wed practice round at the Masters and got home Thursday to find my 93 year old mom on her living room floor. Lost her balance and fell, breaking left hip and shoulder. She was on the floor all night which makes me sick. Had surgery on her hip today and came through just fine. Her shoulder will heal up on it's own. She's resting well and I'm headed back up for another night with her.

She has been an amazingly healthy woman, but obviously at 93 she shouldn't live by herself anymore. I called her twice a day while I was gone and a neighbor called her as well. She just happened to fall during the worst time period possible. I hate I pushed our good luck to this point.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #7273
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dawg, you are a great son to your mom. Don't beat yourself up over this.

Hope she has a good recovery.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #7274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
She has been an amazingly healthy woman, but obviously at 93 she shouldn't live by herself anymore. I called her twice a day while I was gone and a neighbor called her as well. She just happened to fall during the worst time period possible. I hate I pushed our good luck to this point.
It is very common for elderly people to fall and break a hip, a shoulder or an arm. Sadly, it is nearly unavoidable, unless their movement is restricted.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #7275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Went to Wed practice round at the Masters and got home Thursday to find my 93 year old mom on her living room floor. ..........
Dawg, so sorry to hear that . We have one of those alert button things for my MIL that she wears around her neck so she can push the button and get help immediately. When my FIL was alive he wore it and it came in handy on a number of occasions.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #7276

Quote:
Went to Wed practice round at the Masters and got home Thursday to find my 93 year old mom on her living room floor. Lost her balance and fell, breaking left hip and shoulder. She was on the floor all night which makes me sick. Had surgery on her hip today and came through just fine. Her shoulder will heal up on it's own. She's resting well and I'm headed back up for another night with her.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this Dawg! Such a stressful thing for you both to go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is very common for elderly people to fall and break a hip, a shoulder or an arm. Sadly, it is nearly unavoidable, unless their movement is restricted.
Extremely common. Don't fault yourself. The older you get, the higher your chances something like this will happen. Even if someone were with her, it could have very well still have happened...falls happen fast.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #7277

Mom broke her wrist at Christmas and had to have it surgically repaired. Just as she was starting to be able to drive again, dad got a bad bout of diverticulitis and had to have emergency surgery a couple days ago and had 4 inches of his colon removed. I also feel horrible that I'm not there to help them out. So, I feel for you Dawg. I've been calling them several times a day since I found out about Dad and have expressed that regret to them, but they've said to me that even if I was there, all I could do is sit and worry about him, and that doesn't do anyone any good. If mom still couldn't drive, it would have been a different story. She's 74, dad is 75, and until the past few months both of them have been doing very well health wise. I have 3 siblings, and we are all living quite far away from them. Maybe the earthquakes, tsunami, and ailing parents are trying to send me a message: "time to high tail it outta Dodge".

R
Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #7278
Administrator

Dawg, I am so sorry to hear about your mother's fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Dawg, you are a great son to your mom. Don't beat yourself up over this.

Hope she has a good recovery.
+1 REWahoo is right. You have done everything a mother could want so I hope you don't feel like this was your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So true. My mother was in a continual care facility with all the assistance, people checking on her, and everything in the world, and she still fell and broke her hip pretty badly. She was 92. Amazing how fast she was up and walking again after the hip replacement, just as always (but a little slower).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #7279
Give me a forum ...

So sorry about your Mom . My Mom has had a lifeline button for years and it has really been worth it . Don't beat yourself up . Unfortunately old people fall a lot . I dropped my Mom at the entrance to the movies and by the time I had parked the car she had fallen and split her lip.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #7280

Woke up at 7 am when WIFE went to work. Friday is my regular day off.
Called in to my DoD agency for a tele-conference concerning the budget thing.
Surfed the web, posted on a couple of forums.
Watched TV, including the news, History Channel, etc.
Did 2 loads of laundry.
Drove to my favorite Mexican restaurant & picked up some chips & salsa.
Came back home & ate too many chips & too much salsa.
More TV & net surfing. Sick of the budget crap on TV.
Wife came home from work-talked to her, watched more boob tube.
Ate a little supper....
More TV....looked to see what movies are playing...plan to see Arthur tomorrow.
That's about it. My life's so exciting!!!!!!