Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #7281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dawg, I hope your Mom gets well soon.

I drove down to the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction in Palm Beach and had a great day. Lots of great cars to look at. I just wish I could convince DW that I need another Muscle Car. (heh)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #7282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post

I drove down to the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction in Palm Beach and had a great day. Lots of great cars to look at. I just wish I could convince DW that I need another Muscle Car. (heh)
Maybe she'll let you park it in the kitchen...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #7283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I watched the Red Sox beat the Yankees 9-6 today at the Legion. Mr B wore his Sox jacket in full flaming red and black colors. I am not usually into baseball, but the group of folks there watching and cheering and booing had me laughing so hard my face hurt. The bartender was playing devil's advocate and assigning seats as people walked in, based on team loyalty. Too funny!
It was an excellent game, well played on both sides and no athlete drama or pompous behavior.

We went for a fish fry for dinner at another Legion. For $10.50, no tax, we were served a nice size piece of fried haddock, 3 huge scallops, and 3 butterflied jumbo shrimp, with a side of mac & cheese or fries, cole slaw or salad, and coffee or tea. I am STUFFED. I won't eat until tomorrow night.

All in all a very good day. Oh, by the way, it didn't snow.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #7284

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe she'll let you park it in the kitchen...
What kitchen? #$%^$#%#@
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #7285
Administrator

Today was another great day of ER, for me.

Slept until 10 AM, enjoyed a leisurely cup of coffee and puttered about the house a bit.

Then he picked me up on his way to the gym. I worked out for an hour and was really happy because I am getting stronger and can lift more. So is he.

After the gym, we went to a favorite restaurant and got a free lunch. Every 5th lunch is free, if you have a lunch card and get it initialed each time. And they say there is no such thing as a free lunch!

After spending the afternoon together and running some errands, I came back to my house and made rice in my new rice cooker, which with fish makes a nice dinner. Enjoyed my new HDTV service until now. Got to exercycle for a half hour before bedtime to make my day complete.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #7286
Recycles dryer sheets

If I have to look at the sandwich in your post much more I'm gonna blow up....I wants one but wont be near till next December....arg
Old 04-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #7287
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
If I have to look at the sandwich in your post much more I'm gonna blow up....I wants one but wont be near till next December....arg
I love them too!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #7288

So far today, the answer to the question would be "Not much". I woke up with a start this morning thinking I had forgotten to set the alarm for w*rk, but then realized it is Saturday.
I am meeting a cousin in Pittsburgh later today, though, for lunch at a Cambodian restaurant and a foreign film "Certified Copy". There is an art gallery next door to this theater so I will have to browse that a bit if time allows.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #7289
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I went to a morning class at the gym . Afterwards a group of us went out to lunch at a lovely spot on the beach overlooking the gulf . We always have a fun time when we get together . We gabbed & laughed for over two hours . The only problem I have with going out to lunch is the amount of food . I had to take more than half of it home .
Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #7290
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the warm wishes. The docs say she is doing well. Already getting her up a little. Now, time to put finishing touches on tax return while I have a little help at the hospital.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #7291

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I love them too!
Besides tomato and lettuce....what else is there in your sandwich (we call it bocadillo). It looks like fried squid strips.....
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #7292
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Besides tomato and lettuce....what else is there in your sandwich (we call it bocadillo). It looks like fried squid strips.....
No squid - - what you are seeing is fried shrimp seasoned with Cajun seasonings. We call this sandwich a po'boy or poorboy (and the history of that name is in the link).

The po'boy in the picture is from Smitty's Restaurant, the kind of restaurant that locals love and tourists hate because it isn't fancy or pretentious. In fact, the floors are so far off level that I always wonder if the table is going to slide away, and they have no official opening/closing hours. I have had po'boys at Smitty's many times. They are just like the photo - - so many shrimp that they overflow and are called an overstuffed po'boy.

Other than fried shrimp, it includes lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and a little onion, and comes with a pickle on the side. The bread is the most important ingredient in a good po'boy in my opinion, and it is always freshly baked French bread.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #7293
Give me a forum ...

Legion Auxiliary fundraiser breakfast this morning, some socializing, then home to relax and digest.

I'm surfing while Mr B is playing DJ at his computer. I have a huge collection of digital music files from all decades and genres. He likes to search through the songs, pick a list of favorites (mostly 1960s British Invasion) to a playlist, then play them LOUD and sing along. In much younger years he sang and played base guitar in a rock band. His voice is still very good.

I almost forgot...it's 62F here today. Cloudy but I'll take that over the lower temps we've had lingering in the area.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #7294
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Looked at violets and clover.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #7295

Yesterday, picked up DD at the airport as her spring semester at university is over already. 2 years down, 2 to go. I'm at the airport again this morning heading to Manila for a meeting. Will be back on Weds night.

R
Old 04-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #7296
Moderator Emeritus

Glued myself to the TV to watch some mighty fine young golfers.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #7297

Got caught up on things before I go back to w*rk tomorrow...laundry, grocery shopping, a walk in delightful warm weather with the pooch. A friend stopped by and helped me to get my patio furniture out. I took my car to the Auto Spa.
The highlight of my day will be the sequel to "Upstairs, Downstairs" which will begin tonight on Masterpiece Theater.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #7298
Give me a forum ...

Rode 81.7 miles on my bike (yay me) then soaked in hot bath. Training for a 100 mile ride on May 1. I'm beat.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #7299

Went down to DW's Olde Family Farm in VA with relatives. It's a gorgeous area but there's not much activity there, mostly farms. Had a fun time, played with the dog.

Out of the whole day this is my favorite picture. Two more steps and I'd have had noseprints on the lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family Farm_04 09 11_0104 cropped.jpg (534.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #7300
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Did laundry.