Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #7301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Made plane reservations for DS and two grandsons (6 and 4) to come visit in July. We haven't seen them in almost 18 months so looking forward to visiting.

Also made reservations for all of us at Disneyland during their visit...this will be quite the adventure since I'm not crazy about crowds

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #7302

Worked in my yard, it was 62 degrees. That's the first time above 60 since middle of October.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #7303
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made a big pot of soup.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #7304

Hmmm - moved into my "new" office (yes - @ w*rk), now heading home to change for volleyball!!! I am in a new-to-me league, and this is week 2 - had a blast last week - and looking forward to tonight!! Wooohooo!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #7305
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dawg I just saw your post, I am very sorry that your Mom fell. I hope she will recover well and have many more good years with you. I second the others who said that you are a great son; you really are.

Ha
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #7306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Made plane reservations for DS and two grandsons (6 and 4) to come visit in July. We haven't seen them in almost 18 months so looking forward to visiting.

Also made reservations for all of us at Disneyland during their visit...this will be quite the adventure since I'm not crazy about crowds

But think how great it will be seeing Disney from your grand children's eyes !
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #7307

Spent all morning on the phone with banks talking about exchange rates - not a whole lot of fun.

Spent the afternoon eating out with a friend. We both had the chow mein - much more fun
Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #7308
Give me a forum ...

Met with my Periodontist today. No fun.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #7309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Rode 81.7 miles on my bike (yay me) then soaked in hot bath. Training for a 100 mile ride on May 1. I'm beat.
So, Al, in reading the Bike Forums, I thought I might try to ride my age this year. Having never ridden more than about 20mi, it's quite a leap. So far, though, the usual Texas spring winds have limited my riding. Yes, I'm a wuss in the face of 20-30 mph winds...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #7310
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finally finished my taxes.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #7311
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
So, Al, in reading the Bike Forums, I thought I might try to ride my age this year. Having never ridden more than about 20mi, it's quite a leap. So far, though, the usual Texas spring winds have limited my riding. Yes, I'm a wuss in the face of 20-30 mph winds...
Go for it! Build up gradually and you should have no trouble. IIRC you are 56 now, and will be 57 sometime in mid-August . Headwinds are tough though.

1. I mind winds less if I can ride home with a tailwind, so I plan my rides based on the wind forecast. You don't get all the energy back (because you spend more time in the headwind) but it feels like putting money in the bank, then being forces to withdraw it.

2. If winds will increase in the afternoon, you can ride upwind before they get strong.

3. You can plan your route based on shelter. I ride on the freeway when the wind is with me, and on the smaller hilly foresty road when it's against me.

4. Lena doesn't believe in drafting, so I tuck in behind her when it gets windy.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #7312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Go for it! Build up gradually and you should have no trouble. IIRC you are 56 now, and will be 57 sometime in mid-August . Headwinds are tough though.

1. I mind winds less if I can ride home with a tailwind, so I plan my rides based on the wind forecast. You don't get all the energy back (because you spend more time in the headwind) but it feels like putting money in the bank, then being forces to withdraw it.

2. If winds will increase in the afternoon, you can ride upwind before they get strong.

3. You can plan your route based on shelter. I ride on the freeway when the wind is with me, and on the smaller hilly foresty road when it's against me.

4. Lena doesn't believe in drafting, so I tuck in behind her when it gets windy.
The winds will throttle back in the summer.

As for the route, I can do it all on MPTs.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #7313
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Dawg I just saw your post, I am very sorry that your Mom fell. I hope she will recover well and have many more good years with you. I second the others who said that you are a great son; you really are.

Ha
Thanks. Her recovery started off pretty good but seems to have gone backwards the last 1.5 days. Not eating anything much and can barely hear her voice. They tested to see if she was low on blood, but it came back pretty close to normal. So not sure what is going on. Obviously at 93, this is tough on her body and pain killers will make her weak. Hopefully she will perk up some tomorrow. I toured a couple of nursing homes today as she will need one for rehab. They didn't look all that depressing either, so that is a good thing.

Oh well, time for a few z's. Need to get back to hospital early so I don't miss the doctor on his rounds.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #7314
Recycles dryer sheets

my first post on this topic as a retiree... went fishing yesterday... ; )
Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #7315
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
my first post on this topic as a retiree... went fishing yesterday... ; )
Catch anything? Not that it really matters...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #7316
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Catch anything? Not that it really matters...
Some bass...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bass 6 pack WEB.jpg (148.7 KB, 142 views)

Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #7317
Moderator Emeritus

I'm back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
So not sure what is going on. Obviously at 93, this is tough on her body and pain killers will make her weak. Hopefully she will perk up some tomorrow.
I toured a couple of nursing homes today as she will need one for rehab. They didn't look all that depressing either, so that is a good thing.
Dawg, my sympathies.

When my father was in the hospital last month, the difference between "on painkillers" and "painkiller free" was night & day. His last day on Dilaudid I thought he'd never walk unaided again. By the second day off Dilaudid he was roaming freely and itching to "go home".

If you haven't already done this, I'd strongly recommend hiring a geriatric care provider to help you with the process. They know how to accelerate the process with the hospital's discharge coordinator and they can immediately help you sort through the nursing-home options. I paid one roughly $100/hour but it would have taken us weeks to achieve worse results.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #7318

Babysat the kitchen renovations.

Counter tops in, done. Trimwork mostly done. Cork floor install starts tomorrow, with the added stink of glue and first finish coat. Think I'll sleep in my trailer tomorrow night. DW seems immune to such unpleasant stuff, I'm super allergic to most chemicals.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #7319

I visited 2 area restaurants and asked if they would display (sell) my oil paintings. Both said YES! This could be the start of something green!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #7320
Give me a forum ...

Not much on TV and we can't go outside on a rainy dreary day.

Mr B and I divided up and re-wrapped 6 lbs of cold cuts, 3 lbs of cheese and 2 lbs of slab BACON that we bought from the Mennonite store the other day. The prices there are almost half of what we would pay anywhere else. The quality of the meats is fabulous. We normally buy half the amount, but with gas prices where they are...this haul will last us at least 3 weeks if not longer.

I found half of a rotisserie chicken and a 1/4 rack of Dinosaur BBQ short ribs in the freezer. They are cooking nice and slow in the oven with a good slathering of Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce over them to moisten them up. Mmmm...mmmm...mmmmmmmmm