Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

About stock AA, yes I used to be up to 75% during 2003-2007. We still had some income then. It's tougher now, being ER'ed. Maybe 1% a day till 60% equity?

I was at 80% but since retirement I've gone to 70% and will go lower at some point . It is a little scary when you are living off your investments . As opposed to when they were only numbers on statements .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #722
Give me a forum ...

Gutsy lady. I admire your courage. It can't be THAT scary to you.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #723
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For those who do not know French, "Les oiseaux sans tetes" means "The birds without heads". Hmm... Is it because the roulade was made round and lumpy instead of looking like a roll, hence resembles the body of a decapitated bird (a quail)?
Hum, I love "les oiseaux sans tetes". But I do not use beef for them. Like my mom, I use veal scallopinis pounded really thin as a wrapper for the filling. The veal is more tender than the beef and has a more delicate flavor. I then wrap the whole thing in thinly sliced bacon to keep it moist during cooking. To keep it extra moist, my mom used to cook them in a pressure cooker, but I find that a dutch oven does the trick just as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #724
Give me a forum ...

I usually use Prosciutto when I make them . It costs more but it is worth it in taste .
Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #725
Give me a forum ...

Pretty day today! Took the mutt to the reservoir for a nice walk mid-morning. Drove to my Mom's after that for lunch, then back home. Washed the old Trailblazer then mowed my Mother's yard. Well the weeds and mulched what few leaves were there. So plenty of good exercise today. Suppose to be low 70's tomorrow so I will be headed to the golf course.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #726
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Pretty good weather today, ran some errands in anticipation of 8 inches of snow in next 2 days.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #727
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Pretty good weather today, ran some errands in anticipation of 8 inches of snow in next 2 days.
8 inches? The DC area is already freaking out over the prospect of up to 3 inches of snow
Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #728
Give me a forum ...

It was a good brain stretching day...
I learned a lot about Windows Movie Maker.
I tried out my new Nintendo DS game, TouchMaster, racked up some serious game points on 8 different games.
I made chicken tortilla soup.
I listened to a former cow*rker rant about the ol' funny farm and managed not to interrupt. She's been retired for 4 years now and can't seem to let it go. That just about wore me out. Listening well was my good deed for the day.
Time for a very tired Freebird to hit the hay...
Old 01-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #729
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
8 inches? The DC area is already freaking out over the prospect of up to 3 inches of snow
I lived in DC (on the Beltway); bunch of flatlanders.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #730
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I lived in DC (on the Beltway); bunch of flatlanders.
There was an opening there I could have applied for last year. I thought about it. Pay raise and most moving expenses, or just stay here, LBYM, and ER in November? Chose the latter as better aligned with my own personal goals.

Besides, Frank is here.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #731
Full time employment: Posting here.

Caught up on some calls.
Did laundry, dishes, cleaning, and put stuff away.
Have a meeting later at work and then an aa meeting.

Go back to work tomorrow....I love having four days off a week!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:50 PM   #732
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did today what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks....Enjoying Life!

I've taken some time off the 'net for the last couple of weeks, as I'd been spending waaaaay too much time surfin'.....and in doing so I've reconnected with several old friends, and have been spending some time with them. I've also been spending a lot of time pursuing my hobbies, and have gotten a lot of stuff accomplished that I wanted to get done.

I attended a couple of U of I Extension seminars, and have signed up for about a dozen more that are coming up. I've also purchased most of the seeds for this years gardens and containers, and have been getting my game plan together for the soon coming planting season!!! Now I'm getting things ready for my upcoming trip to Florida in less than 2 weeks! How time flies!!! As soon as I get back from there, I'll be starting flats of seeds for the garden.

And so, since I've spent too much time surfin', and not nearly enough time really living....I've decided that it's time to say "so long". This may well be my last post, so everyone take care, and live life to it's fullest! Life is too short....DON'T squander it away!!! Live Life!!!

So Long!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enjoy_Life.jpg (33.3 KB, 153 views)
Old 02-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #733
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Goonie, say it isn't so! At least pop in and let us know what you're up to from time to time. Regardless of what you decide, hope you enjoy life to the fullest!

R
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #734
Administrator

Oh no! Goonie, don't go!! At least take ten minutes every few weeks to peek in and let us know how life is treating you.

Glad to hear your ER is turning out so nicely. You have given me a lot of hope for my upcoming retirement. I hope you experience the best life has to offer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #735
Give me a forum ...

Goonie , Just take a little break but do not leave . I enjoy hearing about all your travels .
Old 02-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #736
Moderator Emeritus

Goonie, I know how it can be addicting to sit on the net and cruise around. Please, stop in once in a while and report on your adventures.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #737
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Goonie, didn't you spend your w*rking life at a sewer treatment plant? Yet you're unable/unwilling to hang around this place?

I'm not sure if we should view that as an insult or a compliment...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #738
Recycles dryer sheets

Concord Monitor - In retirement, I'm finally caught up
Old 02-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #739
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I did today what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks....Enjoying Life!

I've taken some time off the 'net for the last couple of weeks, as I'd been spending waaaaay too much time surfin'.....and in doing so I've reconnected with several old friends, and have been spending some time with them. I've also been spending a lot of time pursuing my hobbies, and have gotten a lot of stuff accomplished that I wanted to get done.

I attended a couple of U of I Extension seminars, and have signed up for about a dozen more that are coming up. I've also purchased most of the seeds for this years gardens and containers, and have been getting my game plan together for the soon coming planting season!!! Now I'm getting things ready for my upcoming trip to Florida in less than 2 weeks! How time flies!!! As soon as I get back from there, I'll be starting flats of seeds for the garden.

And so, since I've spent too much time surfin', and not nearly enough time really living....I've decided that it's time to say "so long". This may well be my last post, so everyone take care, and live life to it's fullest! Life is too short....DON'T squander it away!!! Live Life!!!

So Long!!!
Outstanding post. I'm concerned about too much internet time during retirement, too -
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Life is too short....DON'T squander it away!!! Live Life!!!
Inspiring post! I was just thinking yesterday how I spend too much time online. Thanks for the good advice!