Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #7401
Administrator

I attended my own church's Easter services for the first time. Every prior year, the young wife and I have gone to her mother's church in NJ. But since we just got back from Florence last night, we were excused this year. I sing in the choir and was pleased to finally actually perform the Easter music that we practiced, although I feel a bit hoarse after belting out the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's Messiah and the "Hallelujah" from Beethoven's Christ on the Mount of Olives several times during early morning practice and at two services. Still and all, a good day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #7402
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The Easter Bunny just showed up in the middle of watching the Yankees-Orioles baseball game on TV. Mr B surprised me with a solid milk chocolate rabbit he bought on the sly during the week. I had dropped major hints about a chocolate Easter bunny last week, complete with my best little girl pouty look.
It was commercial break and all of a sudden he ran out to the car in his white terry bathrobe.
I think I'll keep this guy.

He is a keeper !

Old 04-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #7403
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Happy Easter everyone. We did not do the big Easter dinner either, since there is only DH and myself at home. We normally do the big Ham dinner, but decided to do steaks with onions and mushrooms on top, baked potato with sour cream, asparagus and deviled eggs. We have strawberries and angel food cake for dessert. I really wish that my family could have been here, especially my dear granddaughter. It would have been fun making up an Easter basket and having an Easter egg hunt.
Deviled eggs and angel food cake....well that about evens things out!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #7404
Give me a forum ...

Fixed a leaking handle on a kitchen faucet. Only needed the o-rings replaced but had to make two trips to the store to get the proper fitting size. Works like new now.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #7405

If I was a mature responsible adult I would mow the lawn.

So I'm going for a motorcycle ride.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #7406
Give me a forum ...

Garden visitors today. Could they be trying to tell me something?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #7407
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It was commercial break and all of a sudden he ran out to the car in his white terry bathrobe.
I think THAT was the Easter surprise!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #7408
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Garden visitors today. Could they be trying to tell me something?

Are those turkey vultures??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #7409
Give me a forum ...

Yes, they're drying their wings after a morning rain.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #7410
Give me a forum ...

I sent Mr B off to Syracuse to the VA VR&E office for his final decision on whether he will be funded for college courses or not. The local college advisor has told him he needs 9 courses to complete to convert his current bachelor's to one specifically in Accounting, which will enable him to sit for the CPA exam.
His goal is to either freelance or get something PT to beef up his SS earnings record for the next 3 years.
I may have a full time student on my hands for the next year.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #7411
Give me a forum ...

My periodontist used a laser on my lower lip/gum today.

Good times...
Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #7412
Give me a forum ...

I decided to have black bean soup for lunch and as I went to pull the tab on the can the can exploded . I looked at it closely and it looked like the can was slightly puffy . Wrote to Goya's customer service and they are sending me a box to send the can in for analysis . Pretty Scary Stuff ! I may have dodged a bullet today .
Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #7413
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I decided to have black bean soup for lunch and as I went to pull the tab on the can the can exploded . I looked at it closely and it looked like the can was slightly puffy . Wrote to Goya's customer service and they are sending me a box to send the can in for analysis . Pretty Scary Stuff ! I may have dodged a bullet today .
YIKES! That is indeed scary!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #7414
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I decided to have black bean soup for lunch and as I went to pull the tab on the can the can exploded .
Even professional comedians can't buy setups like this...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #7415

Shovelled mulch. DW has a habit of saying - I need to get the garden looking good - Translation: She buys a bunch of plants, loads of mulch etc.... I dig and shovel.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #7416

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Shovelled mulch. DW has a habit of saying - I need to get the garden looking good - Translation: She buys a bunch of plants, loads of mulch etc.... I dig and shovel.
Perfect division of labor. DW does the planning and design and you provide the muscle.

DH and I have the same arrangement and while he grumbles at times, I LOVE that he's willing to do the heavy lifting since I can't...so I hope your DW appreciates your help as much as I appreciate mine!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #7417

Oh she does. I am the beneficiary of many good things. One example, she is as close to a gourmet cook as one can get without a restaurant. And there is more.......
Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #7418
Recycles dryer sheets

Gorgeous photo of those vultures. If that birdhouse is occupied-wow what a time to be really really still. (OR maybe not since they are carrion birds)

I mowed my lawn and tried to move a flower pot to front of house...broke into pieces before I got there.Ordered a magazine subscription, an unearned treat to myself.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #7419
Moderator Emeritus

Must be that time of year...

I just finished walking all the irrigation lines, replacing chewed up drip emitters and splicing out nibbled lengths of drip line. It looks like I'm all set for the dry season.

Next up: flats of annuals
Followed by: ibuprofin
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #7420
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Gorgeous photo of those vultures. If that birdhouse is occupied-wow what a time to be really really still. (OR maybe not since they are carrion birds)
Actually that bird house is just for show. It's been up a couple of years after my wife bought it and painted it. Brightly painted birdhouses are a nice cheap outdoor decoration idea. And good for the birds to stand on and do other things on . Michael's craft store sells them for about $5 unfinished.

We also have serious birdhouses that are the types bluebirds and oak titmice prefer and are mounted to avoid predators. No painting on those.