Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #7421
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Next up: flats of annuals
Followed by: ibuprofin
Hunh. I usually just use Miracle Grow or compost. I'll have to try some of that ibuprofen stuff and see how big the blooms get...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #7422
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned before my dental insurance is done on Friday. #14(?) had a crack and some decay so I got a filling too. Dentist also did a small patch to a filling on the bottom left side. The result is NO sensitivity to cold on the left side anymore. Awesome!

I called Humana to have the HDHP policy start on May 1st (end of employer health insurance) instead of May 23rd (picked at random when shopping for a policy) but they said it would take underwriting 2-3 weeks to make a decision regarding my request. Nevermind. My assumption is they assume I am asking to start the insurance sooner because I need it. We can wait. I will be eligible for COBRA so we will be covered should anything happen before the Humana kicks in.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #7423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Do ya have to salute him now?

Ahhhh....I don't blame you....
Only when the flag's at full staff...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #7424
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Ran some errands.
Asparagus and spinach at the farmers market. (the dawning of the month of asparagus...)
Also some garlic naan.
Walked by and drooled at the herb and flower displays in the garden center.
BTW, sump pump is still running after another heavy thunderstorm.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #7425

Drove to Crownsville (MD) Veteran's Cemetery for a service for departed BIL placed in a columbarium. Had a nice long lunch with one sister and BIL. The occasion brought on a thoughtful discussion of end-of-life issues, how some plan well, others don't, leaving survivors with complications to deal with that they shouldn't have to.

Still got back in time to mow the "back 40" before the forecast rain hits tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #7426

Drove 125 miles round-trip plus a 2-hour meeting for a volunteer assignment.

Visited a dear former w*rk colleague in hospice, unfortunately she is declining rapidly and most likely did not know I was there. She is in her 50s and it is tragic to see a life not yet fully lived to end this way (cancer: twice a survivor, third time was not the charm).

Met with an acquaintance looking to start up a business and needing some computer systems guidance.

Grocery shopping (including for a ladies gathering at my house tomorrow night)

Fixed dinner for us (baked catfish and asparagus/potato gratin). "Discussed" what to do about the gremlin-infested garage door opener.

Caught up (almost) on e-mails. Decided to check in with FIRE and here I am wasting time :-(

That's why I don't post on this thread very often!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #7427

Survived the tornados that ravaged Alabama yesterday afternoon and evening. We are fine with no damage at all - tornados all went west or east of us. Feeling pretty thankful but at the same time so sad for so many others who were less fortunate yesterday.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #7428
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Survived the tornados that ravaged Alabama yesterday afternoon and evening. We are fine with no damage at all - tornados all went west or east of us. Feeling pretty thankful but at the same time so sad for so many others who were less fortunate yesterday.

Glad you are okay !
Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #7429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Wow...I was lookin' for you. Seems as if you, Dawg and FD are ok..... thank goodness.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #7430
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'll let freebird touch that one...
Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #7431
gone traveling

Just got back delivering meals (Meals on Wheels) on my Thursday route.

Even though it was pouring (with threats of tornados in the area) we still have to make sure the aged/disabled have enough to eat.

PS: I'm glad to do it. This is the "giving back" period of my life ...
Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #7432
Give me a forum ...

Finally, a day without tornadoes, hail, and/or high winds. Took a ride on the bike; training for "Ride My Age". Next I'll work on "Act My Age". Naaaaaaah...
Attached Images
File Type: png image-3126922597.png (810.8 KB, 4 views)

Old 04-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #7433
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
(sorry, couldn't resist):
Attached Images
File Type: gif flyagra.gif (47.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #7434
Give me a forum ...

"Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed, at the twilight's last gleaming..."

Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #7435
Give me a forum ...

Sorry I missed out on the flag jokes, but I've been kinda busy. Not the kind of busy I like, but here goes...

Mr B felt some pressure in his chest on Tuesday AM after he drove himself to his education counselor appointment. He smartly decided to go to the VA hospital emergency room less than 5 miles away instead of driving home. They immediately took him in and ran tests to determine if he had a heart attack. Results were yes, but a very mild one thank god.
He was kept in the ER for observation and scheduled for a catheterization the next day. I got a friend to drive me there (1.5 hours) in the face of a thunderstorm. I stayed in the ER room with him and slept off and on in a corner chair with lots of pillows. He was transferred to ICU the next day and underwent the cath procedure.
They found a 90% blockage and a 75% blockage in 2 places in the same artery and inserted 2 stents. There was very negligible damage to the heart.
Cardiologist told him he was a very lucky man considering the amount of blockage and having 2 in the same artery. All other arteries were OK.
I kept my composure in spite of some major flashbacks and stayed right by his side, keeping him as calm as possible. The nurses and doctors saw that my presence was a benefit to him and let me be where I wanted and needed to be. I stayed out of their way and made sure Mr B got some rest. I can put him to sleep in under 5 minutes with soothing massage.
I slept here and there for a few hours at a time in the ICU waiting room in one of those neat little seats that lift up and out and convert to a bed, placed there for exactly this purpose.
I am exhausted but grateful that Mr B is still with us. It could have gone a very different way for him.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #7436
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am glad that Mr. B is OK and so are you.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #7437

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Sorry I missed out on the flag jokes, but I've been kinda busy. Not the kind of busy I like, but here goes...

Mr B felt some pressure in his chest on Tuesday AM after he drove himself to his education counselor appointment. He smartly decided to go to the VA hospital emergency room less than 5 miles away instead of driving home.
Thank goodness he chose to go directly to the emergency room. A different choice might have meant a different outcome.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #7438
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
felt some pressure in his chest on Tuesday AM after he drove himself to his education counselor appointment. He smartly decided to go to the VA hospital emergency room less than 5 miles away instead of driving home. They immediately took him in and ran tests to determine if he had a heart attack. Results were yes, but a very mild one thank god.
Cardiologist told him he was a very lucky man considering the amount of blockage and having 2 in the same artery. All other arteries were OK.
I kept my composure in spite of some major flashbacks and stayed right by his side, keeping him as calm as possible.

How scary ! I am so glad he is okay and I am sure the flashbacks were awful for you . Take care !
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #7439
Moderator Emeritus

Oh my, Freebird, your Mr. B is a very smart man to get himself to the ER so quickly.

Now that the crisis has been averted, take care of yourself, too.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #7440
Give me a forum ...

I am very good at holding it together in the heat of the moment. Stress and I are old friends.
I know the good cry after the fact will come tomorrow, and I will not fight it when it comes. Right now I have to be strong for Mr B, so he can recuperate and rest.
He went through the worst part, not knowing what was lurking in his chest. It was my duty to be calm and not freak out. I have absorbed the fact that I could have lost him, and am very grateful and feel blessed that he is still here grinning at me.
I'll be OK.