Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #7461
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Bought a car for the young wife.
Woo-hoo! What kind of car did you get for the lucky girl?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #7462
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Woo-hoo! What kind of car did you get for the lucky girl?
2011 Mini Cooper S -- she has wanted one for years.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #7463
Administrator

She will love it!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #7464
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Started the John Deere "B" we've been working on. It runs great.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #7465

This is a few days delayed. I was originally going to post it on Thursday night, but it seemed trivial compared to what Freebird was going through.

Went into San Francisco with SO. We visited the California Academy Of Sciences in Golden Gate Park for a special event involving an exhibition of pictures of The Beatles, a display of African Beetles and a talk about Beetles, as well as a performance by Beatles Cover band "The Sun Kings". The band was really good, except that the guy who was supposed to be George Harrison looked a lot like Jimmy Page, which really got in the way of the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing

We also got to see the rest of the exhibits on display, which included an artificially created rain-forest climate indoors, with animals native to the rain-forest. The aquarium was great fun also.

I've spent so much time living within my modest means recently, that I don't get out as much as I should, and it's always a pleasure to do so.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #7466

Last night we (DH and I and 26 yo son) went to Playhouse Square in the Cleveland Theater District where our 24 year old son was working. He was the Sound Designer for a production of "Passing Strange". The production was FANTASTIC, excellent acting, wonderful music, minimal staging that really fit the play well and of course the sound was perfect.

Sometimes when I go to his shows it's hard to get sucked into the play because I tend to look for the technical details. Not this one! I was "into it" the whole time, just had a fantastic time.

He's been staying at my sister's house in the Cleveland suburbs for the convenience of being closer to downtown so we haven't seen him in a few weeks. He was very glad to see us at his show, proud of his work and exhausted from the schedule.

Very proud Mom moment!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #7467
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just woke up from 12 hours of deep restful sleep. Wow I really needed that.
Mr B is resting in the recliner watching baseball through his eyelids.
He was up earlier today to go help the Legion guys buy and install 2 new flat screen monitors at the post. They did all the lifting, he did the equipment hookup.
A friend at the post picked some wild leeks in the woods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek

He offered me some last night and sent a bunch home with Mr B today. I will use a few and plant the rest in the way back wooded part of my property. I will have years of free leeks if they make it through the transplant. Here they are resting in some potting mix until I can get them planted.

Check out these recipes.
http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe0507a.htm
The spaghetti with ramps looks fabulous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leeks.jpg (33.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #7468
Give me a forum ...

After seeing a bluebird pair trying to get into our birdhouse, I widened the hole to 1.5 inch diameter with a file. After a few days a pair of bluebirds set up house. You can see the male with his claws dug into the side of the roughed redwood. Mom is inside but I don't think all the eggs are there yet. They keep coming and going.

Also found this great site for info on bluebirds: Bluebirding Basics - nests and eggs, timetable, nestboxes, predators, house sparrows, food and water
Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #7469
Give me a forum ...

I gave away some furniture. Moving is very cathartic. I am finding stuff I didn't know I had.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #7470
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
...(snip)...
He's been staying at my sister's house in the Cleveland suburbs for the convenience of being closer to downtown so we haven't seen him in a few weeks. He was very glad to see us at his show, proud of his work and exhausted from the schedule.

Very proud Mom moment!
Isn't it interesting that when they're happy we're happy? Nice to celebrate that forward movement in their lives.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #7471

Thanks Lsbcal for the fabulous bluebird photo!!!

I've spent the past 3 days as a volunteer (board member and IT committee chair) helping a local non-profit migrate to a totally new computer platform. Their new service provider is top-notch, but there is a lot of old cr*p to deal with.

Fortunately, DH was away on a men's retreat so he didn't miss me.

I'll be back early Monday morning to help with the inevitable issues, but no doubt it's a huge step forward for them. I'm very pleased to have been instrumental in the decision process.

And I spent Saturday morning in a workshop on setting myself up in business to do similar work for a (nominal) fee for other nonprofits. Ready to stick my toe back into the w*rk world in a whole different way.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #7472
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Congratulations on attracting a bluebird pair. Here is another good site for bluebird information.

North American Bluebird Society
Old 05-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #7473

Bought a new Prius this weekend. Traded in my gas guzzling Mercedes.

Never thought I'd buy another new car. Last three have been gently used, but there is little price difference between a used and new Prius so went with new.

Buying it was quite the experience...drove from Vegas to LA to buy the car since there are none in Vegas. After test drive and about halfway through the paperwork, salesperson says "you know this car has a $5k over sticker markup for "Market Conditions". Really?? No I didn't and if you would have mentioned that when I called to verify that the stock # I want is still here I would not have drove 5 hours to CA.

Very long story short, I got the car at sticker (couldn't get him below) and he was unable to sell me anything else...no extended warrant, no exterior "protection coating", nothing but the car.

The sales guy wasn't happy with me, but he got to sell a car on the last day of the month so I'm sure it helped his quota.

I attribute my negotiating skills directly to this forum. I've learned so much over the last year from you guys.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #7474
Recycles dryer sheets

Clay barred the wife's car (Murano) yesterday. After doing the annual spring outside cleaning, I detailed the inside too.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #7475
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Bought a new Prius this weekend. Traded in my gas guzzling Mercedes.

Never thought I'd buy another new car. Last three have been gently used, but there is little price difference between a used and new Prius so went with new.

Buying it was quite the experience...drove from Vegas to LA to buy the car since there are none in Vegas. After test drive and about halfway through the paperwork, salesperson says "you know this car has a $5k over sticker markup for "Market Conditions". Really?? No I didn't and if you would have mentioned that when I called to verify that the stock # I want is still here I would not have drove 5 hours to CA.

Very long story short, I got the car at sticker (couldn't get him below) and he was unable to sell me anything else...no extended warrant, no exterior "protection coating", nothing but the car.

The sales guy wasn't happy with me, but he got to sell a car on the last day of the month so I'm sure it helped his quota.

I attribute my negotiating skills directly to this forum. I've learned so much over the last year from you guys.
If the car is available at LAS, would there a tax advantage buying it locally at LAS versus buying at CA?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #7476
Give me a forum ...

Voted in the general election, then worked with professional decluttering people to triage my stuff. This will take three days but it's amazing how much we got done and how much bigger the house looks! Called painter, took part in a business call. Now out to enjoy the sunshine. It's great being unemployed!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #7477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Voted in the general election, then worked with professional decluttering people to triage my stuff. This will take three days but it's amazing how much we got done and how much bigger the house looks! Called painter, took part in a business call. Now out to enjoy the sunshine. It's great being unemployed!
I should employ some of these professional declutterers and I'm not even moving! I have been thinking about hiring some California Closet people to house my rarely used/never used clutter more efficiently and attractively.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #7478
Give me a forum ...

I measured my ponytail.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #7479
Give me a forum ...

Mr B and I drove to Syracuse VA hospital for an annual eye checkup for him. It was really odd to be back in the very same building that only 6 days ago....well, no need to repeat the story.

We came home, started some sausage and spaghetti sauce in the crockpot, and went to the Legion to watch the baseball game. We watched the news, and I couldn't help but have a sickening feeling in my stomach of what will happen down the road for our folks overseas. Be aware, be safe.

God bless America, land that we love. Stand beside her, and guide her...someone please finish the lyrics for me.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #7480
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
God bless America, land that we love. Stand beside her, and guide her...someone please finish the lyrics for me.
In my view, this probably should be our national anthem. The lyrics are great and you don't have to sing a high G (as it is normally set). The only other contender would be "This Land is Your Land"